• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cooking

Years
  • How well would you say you can cook? Can you make more complex dishes, or do you stick to simpler things? What're your favorite things to cook? Heck, do you even like cooking?

Bonus: what was the last thing you cooked?

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Actually I love cooking but it takes more time that I want to offer.
    I used to be able to make semi-complex dishes (mainly due to the fact that I have good recipes and I do follow them correctly).
    My favourite things to cook were Vietnamese mi xao and Indian curries. Also I can make imperial rolls but they take FOREVER to fry so I do them maybe once a year for my usual solo Christmas XD
    The last thing I've cooked is a homemade pizza with cauliflower crust two weeks ago.

Years
  • How well would you say you can cook? Can you make more complex dishes, or do you stick to simpler things?

Probably not that amazing, maybe like a 6-7 out of 10. I'm just good at following recipes, I guess?
    I cook stir-fry most of the time, because easy and fast while still healthy with the veggies =D
    I can make more complex stuff if I have a recipe, but those tend to take more time so it's definitely not something I do on a daily basis =P

What're your favorite things to cook?

Spoiler:

Unfortunately it's a casserole, so it definitely takes a while to make, so I don't make it often.

Bonus: what was the last thing you cooked?

Wok/Stir-fry =P
    Vegetarian meat replacement thingies (no idea what they're called in English) with wok vegetables and rice =3

Years
  • I'm a pretty good cook, granted I prefer to work from a recipe because I'm paranoid lmao. I mostly do simpler stuff, but I've done some pretty complex stuff before too. It's pretty rare that I want to go to the effort to do something complicated when a lot of simpler stuff tastes as good or better. I don't cook enough really though, everyone in this house - especially me - is operating on different schedules so there's often not much point and I'm often not really well enough to be up and about cooking either. I do enjoy it a lot when I do it though.

Last thing I cooked was a bunch of home made potato wedges with taco seasoning. Not very exotic but good and healthy.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I literally just started a new job as a cook on Monday. To answer the question, I would say that I am a great cook. Currently, I am employed as a prep cook, meaning that I mainly cut the food for the other cooks to use when they cook. I am able to cut vegetables and other things extremely fast and keep the fast pace going in the restaurant. Although I haven't cooked much on the grill or stove yet, I have done so before and I cooked pretty well. I can handle multiple orders at once without issue. My history working in restaurants made me a great cook at home as well. One of these days, I should start taking pictures of the stuff that I cook. The last thing I cooked was an entree of baked ziti for customers.

Years
  • Most food I'd wager, but I don't have much energy.
    Plus I tend to make my food in the way that I like it.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Eh, I honestly don't really cook much, sometimes I do, but I am extremely afraid of the oven and even more so afraid now that I've learned it uses a flame to work. So, I can cook some things, but not much, nothing complex. If I need to use the oven? Forget it. I just can't. I'm in so much fear over that...fire machine.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Eh, I honestly don't really cook much, sometimes I do, but I am extremely afraid of the oven and even more so afraid now that I've learned it uses a flame to work. So, I can cook some things, but not much, nothing complex. If I need to use the oven? Forget it. I just can't. I'm in so much fear over that...fire machine.

Is it the result of a fear of being burned?

Years
  • I love cooking! Been in the foodservice industry since i was 16 (12 years now, yikes)! Went from disheswasher to writing my own menus and planning to open my own place in a few years once my wife is out of university. I can cook complex dishes but simple dishes are fun as well. If anyone here enjoys cooking or is looking to get into cooking, the Flavor Bible is a must have resource. It basically has list of nearly every ingredient with a list of other ingredients that pair well with it. The better something pairs, the larger and more bold the text will be. Increbile resource if you want to experiment and it will really ingrain into your head what ingredients work well with others.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I love cooking! Been in the foodservice industry since i was 16 (12 years now, yikes)! Went from disheswasher to writing my own menus and planning to open my own place in a few years once my wife is out of university. I can cook complex dishes but simple dishes are fun as well. If anyone here enjoys cooking or is looking to get into cooking, the Flavor Bible is a must have resource. It basically has list of nearly every ingredient with a list of other ingredients that pair well with it. The better something pairs, the larger and more bold the text will be. Increbile resource if you want to experiment and it will really ingrain into your head what ingredients work well with others.

Sounds great! I love cooking too, but I mostly do prep work, something that I was made for. Do you have any tips for how to improve as a cook when working in a restaurant?

blondsie.

blond
    Years
  • I love cooking, what keeps me motivated is the final result and keeping the presentation as pleasant as the meal 😌

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I just cooked a chicken curry with rice. And some swordfish with apple for dinner.

I love cooking tbh. And Fairy can vouch for my abilities.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I love cooking and I pretty much cook every day. My favorite cuisines to eat are Georgian, Mexican and Italian in that order. My favorite cuisines to cook are Mexican, Thai, and good old southern-comfort in that order. I wouldn't say I'm some michelin star chef or anything, but if Gordan Ramsey and I had a competition I would have to say I'd probably beat that amateur. Cooking was once just a hobby, but besides spamming nades to noobs in Call of Duty I would have to say it has become a life passion. My favorite things to cook are orange chicken, tinga, and macaroni and cheese in that order. The last meal I cooked was lunch. I cooked steamed vegetables, mantı (Turkish ravioli), and 2 fried eggs in that order.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i love cooking up plans

i can't cook anything advanced to save my life; i should have married someone who can but we're both useless and lazy and love eating but hate cooking, help

so i've got that going for me which is great

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • I'm a decent cook. I love the sense of accomplishment that comes with learning and tweaking new dishes. It's usually the same cycle: find several variations of the same recipe, read the comments & suggestions, go through a dozen or so attempts that end up not being satisfactory, then nitpick the best of every attempt and possibly get my favorite, & final version. (Imagine the wild notes & scribbles)

I like cooking (: I prefer to stick with the simpler, quicker meals to get to the point and eat, but if it's for anybody other than myself, I like to do more complex ones for them.

Last thing I cooked was some weird simple one just for myself. Rice cooked in broth, then I add in some soy sauce, mayonnaise, and cut up eggs. Dunno, I like it haha.

Years
  • Sounds great! I love cooking too, but I mostly do prep work, something that I was made for. Do you have any tips for how to improve as a cook when working in a restaurant?

Be an information sponge. Don't take anything anyone says as an absolute truth because there are always variables with food but pay attention closely to anyone offering advice. Eventually, you will have taken in enough information to really apply things you hear often. Using resources when you aren't working is another great way to improve. Watch what you can, Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour is really good, and read books. Salt Fat Acid Heat is an amazing book that goes into scientific detail as to how food is made and how foods react with each other.

Years
  • i love cooking! i'm not good at complex dishes, but i genuinely enjoy the process, and have become pretty good at making simple meals

i'd love to expand my cooking skills, but so many recipes call for a lot of ingredients, and it gets expensive fast

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Average cook at best, I'd say - my boyfriend and I try to cook every weekday (we usually alternate) cause we're getting old and I'd like us to eat healthier but I think my interest in cooking comes and goes. Some days I'm watching a bunch of cooking videos and trying to make new things but some days I'll just make something edible and call it a day.

I've actually found ChatGPT very helpful for this lmao like you can just put in what you have in your fridge and it will spit out whole recipes on what you could make. Overall, I'm confident in my ability to make edible food but I would not host dinner parties, I think that's the best way to put it lol (except this weekend, I'm doing Mother's Day dinner so here's hoping I don't fuck it up)

Like ReKoil, I do stirfries a lot, usually with a green (bok choy or broccoli), portobella mushrooms and a meat like shrimp or chicken. Tonight will be bok choy + mushroom + shrimp :)

Days
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    My cooking skills don't go beyond pasta, french fries, and my favorite apple pie. I would like to improve my BBQ skills and knowledge related to cooking meat.

Back