• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you spend time with your family?

Sirfetch’d

So today I did something for the first time in forever. I actually ate dinner at home with my family at the table. My mom has been making this huge deal about how our family never does anything together anymore so she prepared a huge meal for us. It got me thinking that it's probably just normal for families to grow apart like that and spend less time together. So, how often do you guys do things with your family anymore?

Years
  • I get to spend saturdays usually at least seeing my in-laws, because I kind of bum their washer and dryer to get my laundry done so I end up over at their house. Those kinds of interactions range from "oh we happened to see some people" to "hey stay and actually have some dinner that's been made." Often nothing too fancy, however.

For my family though, I don't get to see them that often, much less do anything with them. :( The woes of living several states and quite a few hours away from them now. I think closest family of mine to me is extended family anyway, and they're still a good eight hours (opposite side of the state) from me ....
    /sigh

Years
  • Always! I currently still live with my parents, so I have daily interactions with them like saying good morning/good night, eating supper together, walking the dogs together, going out various places together. Family I don't regularly interact with are people outside my household, such as my aunt and biological father. I do call and text them from time to time, however.

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
    Years
  • I see my father when I can. Im forced to be around my sister more than Id like. Dont keep in close touch with anyone else.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • I live with my family. I don't eat with them though, but I cook for them occasionally, and I spend time with them occasionally. Usually we're doing our own separate things though. My father is at work 80% of the day, and my mom is always going places, but she's home most of the afternoon. I don't have anything in common with my family really.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Considering I live in a different state from all family members, the answer would be: not at all.

When I do happen to be in the same state, I try to see them when/if I can, but it's not a huge priority either. My family and I have never related with anything, so really unless we're doing an activity together it's all silence anyway. I'd rather not just "visit" unless we've made plans so it's not awkward.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • I wish I spent less time with my family. I'm usually around my mother pretty much all day cuz I'm a shit with no life and no motivation to do anything besides fuck around on the internet all day.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • In the same situation as Larry.

It's really difficult when you're living in a different state...on your own, with no family whatsoever. But they know that I'm actually doing this for my own good...for my future. Back when I was living with my mom and dad in California, I always wanted to be literally AWAY from them because they were getting on my damn nerves. But now that I'm actually away, I learned a lesson that you actually do need them to guide you on your own life. And that life is short enough to actually spend time with them. I regret not flying out this month in California, but at the same time I would love to spend as much time as I want during Christmas time, which is more important.

pkmin3033

I try not to. After all, we all live together, so we see quite enough of one another as it is. Not to mention, unless I'm with both of them together, they complain about one another at me. When they're together they just ignore me and argue with one another instead. The atmosphere is less than pleasant most of the time. Not only that, but my parents have completely different interests to me, so if they're going out somewhere with my little brother I tend to stay at home because I'd get bored out of my skull if I came along.

I visit my grandparents for a holiday at least once a year, and I'll spend time with them when they come down for visits, but that's about it. I've never placed a huge emphasis on family ties, we're all scattered across the country outside of my immediate family, I don't know my father's side at all, and I'm a solitary person by nature anyway.

tl;dr no, not really.

Years
  • I still live with my mother and sister, but I don't spend as much time with them as I used to. I'm spend most of my times in my room or at dancing, but I do make an effort to still spend a healthy amount of time with them.

We watch TV shows and movies together quite frequently and we always eat together.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Well my dad lives over 200 miles away, my mom works 60+ hours a week, and I work near full-time and attend school part-time so... not really! Which is kinda sad with my mom considering we still live together, I only see her for a total of maybe 20 minutes a day because of our schedules, if I'm lucky lol.

Bay

Years
  • Also still living with family. Like Lisia, I'll often interact and go places with them. My sister not as much as sometimes she'll go out with her friends from time to time and our schedules are different.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Well my dad moved to Colorado and my mom lives almost two hours away so I don't really see either of them all that often. I did go to stay at my mom's for a couple of days when I was off of work either last week or the week before (I honestly don't remember when it was) and I kinda just sat around with her boyfriend's kids and then we got together and ate dinner the two nights and played a game but nothing too exciting. I haven't seen my dad in somewhere around 8 months but he's supposed to be coming up for Christmas so we'll see about that. I live with my grandma right now and our schedule's don't synergize that well. I usually go in about 4 or 5 pm and get off somewhere around 1 or 2 unless I'm told to come in early/stay later and she works from 10pm-6/7am. When I'm off she's usually working so we meet for dinner and then she leaves. If she's off and I'm working she'll pick me up and then just go back to sleep since it's the middle of the night so we don't really have any interaction there. For about the past year that I was staying with my dad we had dinner together maybe 10 times. At first he was working all day and then going to his bar until 3 or 4 in the morning to make sure everything was working the way it was supposed to and nobody was stealing or messing around. But then he ended up losing his job because he got in a wreck due to lack of sleep and still being intoxicated from having stayed out late the night before watching the bar. And then he started to spend all of his time and money trying to get the bar to work out but in the end it didn't so he had all kinds of debt and then tried to work two jobs to pay it off before he decided that he didn't want to spend the next five years working off the debt and just filed bankruptcy and moved away. And then I never really spent time with my mom during that time because she's emotionally unstable and was getting into fights with my dad, her ex husband and her current boyfriend all at the same time and I didn't want to deal with any of that so I just stayed home alone.

TL;DR I don't spend that much time with my family and haven't for a while.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • I'm not close to my sisters and I live across the country (or for a time a different country!) from my dad. I visit at Christmas

Years
  • I'm in the same situation as Gimmepie over there. I still live with my family but we never do many activities together anymore due to conflict. Going out as a family can't even happen these days because either my brother will bully me or me and my mother will get stuck in a huge arguing war and she'll just get so angry (she has super-anger, so a tough customer indeed particularly with those "standards" I have to live up to) that I'll get so pissed and cause delay and stress.

Lucid

I see my family maybe once or twice a month, usually we just eat and chat together, I have a pretty amiable relationship with everyone, but have no interest in spending anymore time with them.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    i live with my parents but around this time of the year i barely see them. spending an hour with them during the week is considered lucky. i have band tuesday, thursday, friday, and saturday from now until early november. tuesday and thursday i'm gone from like 6:30 am until 9 pm and friday and saturday means i'm gone from 6:30/7:30 am until 11 sometimes 12 am. so no.. my parents are a rare sight.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Hardly, if I'm completely honest. Which kind of upsets me. I still love with my mom and my brother while going to community college. Ever since I started my job in April, and here recently going back to college, timing just never permitted us to do so. And on my days off, I'm just in my room doing school work. I want that to change since the time of year where family should be together is rolling around and I want to make an effort to let them know I still care to spend together with them.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I live with my family still as well, but in my defense... it's due to special needs. I do just the basic things with my family. I go out with them when we go places like shopping or to do errands. I'll go with them to their appointments to get out of the house and such. We don't really eat with each other like at the dinner table, except maybe for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner... but even that's becoming pretty seldom.

Back