• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you bought a console just for playing Pokemon?

Years
  • I bought my DSLite after all the Gen 4 games had come out so I was purchasing it specifically for Diamond and SoulSilver - I ended up getting other games like Mario Kart along the way but in my mind the games I was after were Pokémon :)

Years
  • Technically, I did buy my 3DS for Pokemon X and Y. However, later on, I discovered quite a few entertaining games for the console that I ended up buying and enjoying. Other than that, I've never bought one just to play Pokemon. Granted, most of my games on every console were Pokemon games, but there were some others scattered in between. n__n;

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I did, and I have no shame in admitting so. xD When Pokemon XY were announced I knew for sure that I'd HAVE to buy a 3DS just to play Pokemon. I will do the same for ORAS.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Pfffff, the only reason I ever buy any console is because of Pokemon. I would have never bothered getting a 3DS had X&Y not been announced. I had my DSi and I was good enough with that, but of course, 3DS games are for 3DS consoles, thus I was forced to buy one.

As far back as I can remember, every console I've ever bought has been for Pokemon - specifically the handheld ones.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    My first Gameboy Color was given to me as well as Gold and Silver so I suppose that could count? Other than that though I believe the only one in mind would have to be my GBASP so I could play my Ruby on that instead of borrowing my sister's Advanced all the time. I don't remember with my DS why I fight bought it (it might have been for Pokemon), but my 3DS was bought after I had already bought a 3DS game for it that wasn't Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I've always played other game series as well, so I guess my consoles have never been exclusively for Pokémon. However, I did get my 3DS XL (my second 3DS) specifically for the purpose of playing X and Y on it and being able to trade with myself, and so far, I don't think I've really played anything else on it (mainly because I haven't had time to do so, but still).

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I initially bought my gameboy color and gameboy advance SP for the sole purpose of pokemon games. And then later on after I got the games I ended up buying more games for them because I can't stand having a whole system and a small collection of games. I have to have at least 20 games per system or I feel bad.

Years
  • If it hadn't been for the announcement of Pokemon X & Y, I wouldn't have gotten my 3DS XL. Even as it was, I jumped the gun a fair bit, buying it at the end of January last year, even though X & Y weren't due out until sometime in October.

And now that I think about it, while it may not have been for the sole purpose of playing Pokemon, it was one of the main series I had in mind each time I got one of the Nintendo handhelds. Even my GBA SP and DS Lite came with Pokemon games when I got them, and they were the ones that I played the most out of them all.

Years
  • The only console I've bought for an individual game was my GameCube for Super Smash Bros. Melee. (That game's what turned me away from buying an Xbox instead, way back in the day.)

Years
  • The sole reasons I got my GBA and first DS were in order to play the newest Pokemon games (Ruby/Sapphire on the GBA and Pearl/Diamond on the DS). All my friends had acquired them and were playing, so I wanted to join them. Also, if you want to count it, I had to pay for a GBA SP my uncle bought me when my first one broke, and my primary motivation to do so was that my dad wouldn't give me Emerald until I paid off the cost of the system.

Years
  • So far the only game I've got for my 3DS is Pokemon. I do plan on getting other games later on, but for the most part it was just for Pokemon. All my other systems have had many more games as motives for buying.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • Yup, every handheld I've bought has been specifically for Pokemon.
    I skipped buying the DS though, and ended up borrowing my friend's (he had two) in order to play 4th gen games.

My 3DS XL was a gift, but it was one I asked for specifically so I could play Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I totally bought a Gameboy Advance just so I could play Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Ruby. I think I got two more games to go along with the handheld, but I only cared about the pokémon games xD Never quite tried a GBA/GBC game that was as good as pokémon.

Noibat

Years
  • yup! XD My GBA for Sapphire, then when they came out with the bundle for Diamond as well, I went to target at Midnight to pick it up. Pokemon is pretty much my driving force to get new handhelds

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I bought a Nintendo 64 just to play Pokemon Snap. Even after getting the N64, I didn't have any other games for it except for Snap until Stadium and Stadium 2 were released. Actually, my entire N64 game collection was Pokemon (Snap, Stadium, Stadium 2, and Hey You! Pikachu) except for the lone Mario 64 cartridge.

RazgrizStraits

Turn Sorrow Into Rage
    Years
  • lol no, thats rediculous. i dont have that kind of money to waste and if you do well...its your money but i dont' get it. I mean if you really wanted it just emulate it instead of wasting that much money for it. but if u have a bad pc or dont know how i suppose... or u dont want to emulate...

idk man, that's just not somethign i would ever do. i mean i just bought titanfall and im still thinking of taking it back even though all my friends play it.

However my dad is guilty of buying a ps3 just to play Last of Us lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Every handheld console I have was for the sole purpose of Pokemon. Anything else I ever played with it was just randomly given to me. Although I do really enjoy Zelda and Professor Layton lololol but I don't keep up with them. Since getting the 3DS I only have Pokemon games for it.

Back