• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

i need absolute silence to sleep

Years
  • i do :( i cannot sleep even with the windows open, since with them open i can hear the crickets or birds chirping too loudly and it keeps me awake.

what about you guys? are you someone who needs silence to sleep, or do you need some sort of noise? i know some people who can only fall asleep with the tv on (and with volume)... pretty crazy contrast to mine haha

Years
  • Yes same......
    Our Neighbour A retired Army Veteran...
    He just keeps listening to music loud always till midnight...
    Due to this one day I got Insomania
    But what can we do now
    Uncle has a disability of listening.
    And Aunt left him last year
    Only person to accompany him is his pet dog who also served in army and is old.
    But that is too much
    Even an Abra or Snorlax won't live there,
    They will suicide!!!!
    God plz help me!!!!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I have to be listening to relaxing music to sleep with because I have ringing in my ears and silence is the worst thing to me at night. I can fall asleep to the TV but I'll eventually wake up to turn it off.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I need absolute silence and complete darkness or else I go mad. Every noise keeps me awake and earplugs don't work perfectly, only dimming it. It's... ugh, a problem.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I feel like some of you would lose it if you had Tinnitus (ringing of the ears) like me. Not even plugging your ears will help. Trust me I wish I could make it go away.

Magitronique

I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
    Years
  • I don't necessarily need it per se, but I do very much enjoy fan noise when I'm trying to sleep. I can definitely catch some z's without it, but it takes a while longer because without the white noise I tend to focus a lot more on other ambient sounds and especially my tinnitus (ayyy tinnitus gang!) which makes it way harder to actually get any sleep.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Falling asleep without the noise is always nice, but I don't really have an issue with falling asleep under any circumstance if I'm sleepy enough. So silence is more like a "bonus" than a requirement for me.

pkmin3033

Absolute silence is unnatural and it makes my ears ring.

But I DO need quiet. No voices in the background, no loud noises - so I have to have my window shut because of the noise of distant traffic and a closer-to-home power generator that is on literally 24/7 at the factory opposite my house - and no sudden random noises either. I also need moderate darkness so I have a thick blind to pull down because my curtains are paper thin and don't even cut the glare of the sun on my TV mid-afternoon.

Years
  • I agree about the absolute silence thing being unnatural. Being in an anechoic chamber I feel would make me go crazy lmao. Doesn't help that I too have tinnitus.

But having a fan on, a few crickets chirping, etc. doesn't bother me one bit. Anything below 30dB I feel shouldn't be an issue to normal ears when falling asleep. I guess there's just those really sensitive kinds. The unfortunate ones.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Normally I do like silence but it also depends on the noise. I can easily sleep with cars driving, birds chirping, and nature sounds in general but the moment I hear loud/annoying sounds like construction I would not be able to sleep through that. Although I remember one time I was so tired I slept through a fire alarm and didn't even hear it.

Also, I too prefer to sleep in total darkness but even low light is fine too.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I don't like sleeping in silence :( I've always been irrationally anxious of sleeping in the dark and I feel like silence would just add to feeling unsettled. I like having at least some form of quiet background noise such as a fan, rain, ambient music or even those videos on Youtube that can imitate a fireplace crackling next to you for example. I'm fine with silence whenever I have to share a room with someone though. Basically I can fall asleep anywhere without trouble but definitely prefer at least a little noise. :')

Years
    • Seen today
    In the dark and completely silent.

But it's more of a preference than a requirement for me. Sometimes I would fall asleep on the school bus or in the classroom, which were neither of those things.

Years
  • white noise is almost essential for me to sleep! while it is possible to sleep without it, it... won't be pleasant. it also has to be cold. a hot/humid room just won't do. x.x

Years
  • I usually fall asleep watching something on my laptop, if I properly lie down and don't focus I can get off to sleep pretty easily, but can also sleep in silence too!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Definitely not. My entire life I lived in front of a busy highway, so sleeping without sound was seldom an option. I would usually turn on music or something to drown out the sound of traffic, since that was at least a more preferable option. Never had an issue sleeping with or without sound. Unless it's cars, apparently, lol.

Years
  • My mind is an unceasing maelstrom of chaotic thoughts that will not let me sleep unless I have something I can focus it on. So some sort of semi-engaging sound is required otherwise I just sit there for hours doing nothing while my mind wanders all over the place.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2021
    There is wide normal variation among people. I don't think it's a symptom of ADD. Some people need complete silence.

It depends on what you are accustomed to, from childhood or circumstances or habit.

Having a fan on at night is a way of blocking out random noises. Some people buy "white noise" machines for the same reason.

Some people live in a house or apartment next to a busy urban street or rail line. They hear significant noise all night long. They just get used to it.

Some people actually prefer to hear some kind of sound, as they fall asleep — music, or a radio station, or TV. I'm one of them — and if hear people talking on the radio or TV, it often enters into my dream content. I have trouble falling asleep in complete silence, unless I'm very tired.

Back