• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] LGBTQ+ Alliance (◕‿◕)♡

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    Just redoing this because it's been a while... not sure this will be the last either!

Spoiler:

As for portraying LGBT+ characters (something I got to know one or two things about by now, as two of my main characters, Arianne and Avril, are lgbtq+)...
    At first I was really much like you, Riki, and very afraid of doing it wrong in a way or another. I can relate to that feeling! And even now I can say, it could be super easy or super hard simultaneously, almost.
    I agree with Mew - if your story doesn't focus on someone's orientation or gender identity (or romance, I guess) you don't need to focus on those aspects too much and you don't have to write about them, especially. Those are just things that end up becoming part of your character but that from an outside perspective aren't really tied to any specific lgbtq+ identity, I guess!

I'll admit that delving into those topics in a story may require you to get some more knowledge or... you know, not really knowledge as much as straight up empathy, for your character and the situation they're in. I'm by no means claiming that what I do is the right method but usually something that helps me is just asking myself questions and more questions about how your characters could feel in a certain situation, what's important to them (and what isn't), and all that stuff. ​And that's because ultimately, every character, every setting, and with them, their experiences are all different and unique.

To go back to the trans people example... there's people who realize this very soon in life but get little to no chance to actually transition and be happy in their body until much later, and there's people who actually realize this later in life. There's people who may be able to live in a more welcoming environment and people who have to spend so much time in the closet. And, not to judge anyone here, but there may be people who are very strong lgbtq+ activists through and through, and people who may just want to "blend in" - those who might say "I certainly appreciate what activists do, but I wish it wasn't necessary in the first place, and I feel like I may get in trouble if I don't lay low."

By the way, there's something I still can't write and maybe never will (or that I'll try to dodge if possible), so... yeah. Sexual attraction is hard to write for me, for obvious reasons. All that advice and then I can't even do this... oh well~

I hope this can help a bit ^^;

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Makes sense, Eleanor. But also, in stories about straight people, romance (or sexual attraction) can be huge parts of the story, their relationships and longing etc etc. But they probably seldom (if every) think about being straight. They just are. So unless a story revolves around a character's situation and how the world relates to their orientation, I think it's most fair to just treat non-straight romance the same way as straight. It's just there, intensity varying depending on the character and the story genre :3

Regarding writing attraction, I tend to wanna make all my chars biromantic these days ahah. Maybe it just comes the most natural to me, being that myself. So, next up I suppose a biro enby should be? :3

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    Makes sense, Eleanor. But also, in stories about straight people, romance (or sexual attraction) can be huge parts of the story, their relationships and longing etc etc. But they probably seldom (if every) think about being straight. They just are. So unless a story revolves around a character's situation and how the world relates to their orientation, I think it's most fair to just treat non-straight romance the same way as straight. It's just there, intensity varying depending on the character and the story genre :3

Regarding writing attraction, I tend to wanna make all my chars biromantic these days ahah. Maybe it just comes the most natural to me, being that myself. So, next up I suppose a biro enby should be? :3

Oh sure, my bad if I didn't get that across that well! I actually am writing, or at least getting there, two lesbians - one is Avril obviously, and given the context I feel like she's not thinking so deeply about what it means for her to be lesbian. She's just going through her first tastes of romance and in that sense it's... really just romance. It probably wouldn't change much if she was straight, like you said!
    But the other lesbian who I can't name because spoilers is really in a different position... with pressure coming from various angles and even from inside of her! That makes things different I suppose~

Now that I noticed, I think there is just one occasion of me writing a character who is... something on the lgbtq+ spectrum that I'm not. But even then I think it's working alright, and I know I can give her (lol I write way too many girls) some proper representation!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Well, for me... gender and sexuality is only a part of the characters and the stories I'm writing aren't centered around gender or sexuality. I do have two characters who are mlm and in a relationship, but instead of saying they're gay outright (because I don't feel like I have to) I use the words boyfriend/lover/partner instead... and showing their loving interactions with one another, so it's obvious that they're a couple.

I'm capable of writing characters of different gender identities/sexualities than I because I've done research and do have an understanding of other gender identities like genderfluid, non-binary and etcetera. (I would consider myself both trans and non-binary since I lean more towards
    "trans masculine" and "demi-man" for myself). & Have also done research on the opposite side with mtf since I do have a trans woman character. Whom, I am hoping will be believable since I identify as trans masculine, but.

I just... I guess I feel a tiny bit scared I'll get hate still if I mention it outside of the character bios? So, I choose to portray characters gender identity through showing it... but I'm planning on eventually writing a story about my trans character's discovery, journey, and transition because I think her story deserves to be told?

But, I suppose we have a long way to go before LGBT characters aren't going to have negativity thrown their way simply because they're not... heteronormative which really hurts me a lot. I wish it wasn't like that.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm not a writer so most stuff I come up with ends up being very plain and simple. Doesn't help that I've never experienced a relationship (and even my family isn't particularly healthy in that regard) so I could never come up with a proper one. I find that actually very annoying (both the writing and my lack of experience).

I think the easiest route that people go about lgbtq+ is depicting a closeted character and their story from inside the social system they find themselves. It's more of an exploration on how they developed their toxic mindset. That's something that may even be relatable to normative people.

Years
  • Hi all! This is one of the unexplored forum parts for me, so I m coming really late, but I like the idea, so here I am :)

Username: _confused_piplup_ (but u can call me Angie)
    Pronouns: she/her
    Romantic orientation: bisexual, preference for males
    Sexual orientation: depends on phases tbh. I m asexual but I still have a preference for boys
    Anything you want to add / general intro! : Well, much of confusion comes from the fact that I am not in transition yet, so everything becomes more difficult. I have changed a lot with time, even my tastes lol. I am currently out to my parents but the situation is spiky so we just kinda forgot about it and tbh it's kinda better like this. It's also passed quite much time from coming out: it was August 2019 lol. I have other friends online that are trans people as well, so I get some good support. My relationship with my identity and sexuality are very turbulent and changed a lot with time. I have spent much time questioning myself and now I often question my future life. I go through many phases because I am really reflective and I think really much about life and future, that sometimes seems bright, sometimes not at all. I am currently asexual, but at the same time I desire of having a healthy romantic and sexual relationship. On the other hand, I often feel like I shouldn't care and that I should be incrementing my knowledge. While this may sound sad, it actually isn't because focusing to the max on something I really like often calms my quite bad dysphoria, since I have a masculine body.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Welcome, Angie! Yet another joins our glorious biromantic armada 💗💜💙

I think a lot of people here can relate to your struggles regarding identity and sexuality 😔

Years
  • Username: roni
    Pronouns: he/him
    Romantic orientation: hetero romantic (for now, still discovering~)
    Sexual orientation: heterosexual (this one i'm 100% sure of tho)
    Anything you want to add / general intro!:

Just an ally passing through for now~ I've known about this thread for a while but have been to shy to actually post (well i think i did once but that was it :p) until now!

I used to be homophobic in my younger days, what with being sheltered, going to an all boys school for the first half of my elementary life, and living with closeted homophobic parents. I would regularly use 'gay' or 'f*g' as an insult, and be uncomfortable around the vicinity of homosexuals or trans females. My reasoning was, I was grossed out by the notion of them being possibly attracted to me, and now that I look back, I realize just how stupid and egotistical that sounds. I'm not proud of young roni.

I slowly started being more open-minded beginning high school, when I made friends with a gay classmate who was really cool <3 Then I learned about LGBT as a concept, and realized that these are literally just people, so why should we treat them any differently? I'm fortunate that the uni I went to exposed me even more to LGBT folk; one of the most progressive Filipino communities I've ever seen, and I'm super proud to have been (and still be!) part of it. I joined pride marches, made friends with lots of different people, and now one of my closest irl friends is a very sexually-active gay man, openly talks about it, and I couldn't be more comfortable hanging out with him.

I learned a lot, and still am learning! Through this thread I realized that romantic and sexual orientation are different, which means I gots plenty to think about :3 With all that said, I forgive yet not forget my past self, and use that to move forward with acknowledging and accepting people more <3

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I feel like I've been very unlucky when it comes to meeting people outside of the heteronormative space. I've met like two people who were trans and I didn't talk with any of them even once. Actually, one of these two I met at a psychiatry where I was sent to after a mental breakdown due to me slaving away at a factory for months. It felt very weird to me at the time.
    Even at university I can't say I met someone who was open with their identity. And of course work is just a bunch of conservo "you are what you're assigned to at birth" folk.

PC was very much my first real exposure and so far is the only place. It actually came as quite the shock and it took me forever to adjust. I'm still I somehow did, because you're all awesome people, though.

But regardless: this lack of exposure irl sure is making things really difficult for me to come to terms with my own identity. :(

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • So I haven't told many people about this, only really a few people IRL know and a few people I speak to on Discord, but I figured hey I'll tell everyone as I'm going to start streaming soon and sometimes I cannot be bothered doing all of my makeup and finding the right hair extensions/wig that matches my current hair colour, but I am trans. :3

Just letting you all know because I love you all AND sometimes I don't look very feminine when I am on camera. Which is also something I am attempting to change! <3

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jun 26, 2022
    Username: Tokki211
    Pronouns: He/Him ( They/Them also accepted)
    Romantic orientation: Biromantic
    Sexual orientation: Demisexual
    Relationship status: Unfortunately single :(
    Anything you want to add / general intro! : I've been transitioning 7 years. My lgbtq journey has been a lot of figuring out how to express myself and not let myself be defined by other people's definitions of masculinity. Weirdly being a transman made me learn to love and accept the feminine aspects of my personality. ^_^

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Anything you want to add / general intro! : I've been transitioning 7 years. My lgbtq journey has been a lot of figuring out how to express myself and not let myself be defined by other people's definitions of masculinity. Weirdly being a transman made me learn to love and accept the feminine aspects of my personality. ^_^

You're cool, ngl. Keep being yourself.

As a trans guy (I lean towards trans masculine for myself though) myself, I still like stuffed animals and pink & don't care what others think about that.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jun 26, 2022
    You're cool, ngl. Keep being yourself.

As a trans guy (I lean towards trans masculine for myself though) myself, I still like stuffed animals and pink & don't care what others think about that.

Oh thank you ^_^

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've been doing a lot of introspection, questioning stuff and in general reflecting. So, I figured I might as well rewrite my intro stuff.

Username: Megan
    Pronouns: She/Her
    Romantic orientation: Lesbian
    Sexual orientation: not quite sure if Ace or if my childhood experiences lead me to a "my bloodline ends with me" attitude (so this is still very much open I guess)
    Anything else to add: not out or anything. I'm still struggling to come to terms with things and stuff. I probably need some professional help somewhere in the future...

I can't believe writing this was so hard for me. >_<

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday

Hi! Thought I'd just bring this up again because it feels quite important to me. I'll probably prove your point further because well, I'm in the closet right now, and I am the total opposite of that!
    Right now, I point at so many things and call them "feminine" (and therefore, not right for current me) even when that's blatantly false. I guess nearly everyone can agree that at this day and age, heels are considered "feminine", but ripped jeans? Most people wouldn't give them any specific connotation. And of course that's just one example, but you can see how much this could mess with my head 😅 I'm happy to hear that you've been able to deal with these feelings much better~
    In the end it's just about being you doing what you like

Years
  • Objects shouldn't be inherently gendered imo. It hurts kids especially. Many children are shamed and shunned for liking things "outside" their gender.

Something I'd like to bring up, which I hope I articulate well. As an intersex person, I do not like being intersex seen as an LGBT identity. It's a medical condition, you cannot identify as intersex. Just like you can't identify as having diabetes. I hope this makes sense!

Years
  • Today is once again the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia.

To all my LGBTQ+ brothers, sisters, and variations thereupon... you are loved, you are seen, you are valid, and most of all, you have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone 🌈❤

Back