• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Count To Infinity - v11

Status
Not open for further replies.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    239 571

I've yet to play a game on any mobile phone I had.
    It does not appeal to me whatsoever.

Phone emulators are a bizarre thing for me. I always thought "wow it would be so cool to play Crystal (or other random game) on my phone" in reality it wasn't the experience I was expecting.
    In the transports, I am constantly looking around, so I cannot give my full focus to a game on my phone ^^"
    Also, I have this cliché about videogames on smartphone, that they're shallow games and money sinks, so I stay away from them.

Then again I'm a person who barely uses their phone at all in the first place so....
    I'd like to concur, because I sometimes spend many hours without checking it, sometimes I miss calls and all, but I use it instensively during my workouts for music + countdowns, I check Tinder two~three times a day, and I randomly check my phone for messages. I would say I'm an inconstant phone user ^^"

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    In the transports, I am constantly looking around, so I cannot give my full focus to a game on my phone ^^"
    Also, I have this cliché about videogames on smartphone, that they're shallow games and money sinks, so I stay away from them.
    They are money sinks for the most part. But you can also put Retroarch on them. It's a really cool piece of software. Though, I suspect most people won't want to spend the time to configure it properly.

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    239 573

I don't understand the attraction to retro-gaming ^^"
    Is it only nostalgia? And perhaps some self-punishment? (Have you tried Dragon's Lair on NES?)

My first console was the PS2, and everything before that always looked prohibitively awful to me ^^"

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    239 574

I wouldn't say it's awful, the biggest sticking point is different graphics.

This matters a lot if you're dealing with (faux) 3D and less if you're dealing with 2D.

For example, games like Super Mario 3 (NES), A Link To The Past (SNES) and Earthbound (SNES) still look OK to this day. Of course there are 2D games that didn't age as gracefully but old games can still look fine.

If we're talking about gameplay, then old school games can be a bit punk rock, yeah. Lack of cartridge space to use tutorials + lack of tried and true methods means that the game design on a number of those wasn't exactly ... the best.

Still some of the main reasons are, in my experience:
    - some games are design masterpieces (those are the games that still have good art or music by today standards while subject to old constraints)
    - some games are technical masterpieces (they cram in a lot of gameplay while subject to old constraints)
    - some games are just fun and being old doesn't make them stop being fun
    - they're all lightweight and designed to run on potatoes (by today's standards) which means that you pretty much always have a device capable of running them
    - they've likely been cracked to hell and back - the way god intended - so there's a thriving hack / mod scene (see FRLG - 17 year old games - in this very forum)
    - digital archivism

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I don't understand the attraction to retro-gaming ^^"
    Is it only nostalgia? And perhaps some self-punishment? (Have you tried Dragon's Lair on NES?)

My first console was the PS2, and everything before that always looked prohibitively awful to me ^^"
    They were just "simpler times". That's not to say I play one of these impossibly hard games that were produced back then. I actually hate difficult games because I simply don't get any feeling of accomplishment when I overcome a challenge (Dark Souls to me, for example, is nothing more than an obnoxiously slow slugfest that makes you repeat the same boring dodge-hit-dodge-repeat over and over again).
    I've also developed a "no bullshit" attitude when it comes to the beginning of a game. I want to play a game and not click through hours of dialogs and tutorials. There's hardly any game nowadays who doesn't fall into that trap. Japanese games in particular seem to hate the concet of "show, don't tell". In older games there simply was less to worry about that. Or maybe they just didn't care enough?

Did you know that Gen 4 was the first Pokemon Generation that did PokeCenter tutorials?

I mean, I get that retro gaming is somewhat falling out of favor nowadays with all the video game corporations trying to cash in on it.

Years

Nostalgia... definitely, but I genuinely love the gameplay of many of those earlier games!

But then, I'm not a graphics girl, then or now, they nice, but gameplay is far more important to me.

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    239 577

Same, I'm more a gameplay guy (I run all my games on low settings on my PC because I fear overheating XD). The PS2 has set my standards ^^

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now

My first console was a yellow original Gameboy and my first game was Kirby's Dreamland. You can't go much simpler than that.

Unfortunately, that Gameboy had short ciruiting issues. I'm also not sure if it even exists...

Years

My first console was a yellow original Gameboy and my first game was Kirby's Dreamland. You can't go much simpler than that.

Unfortunately, that Gameboy had short ciruiting issues. I'm also not sure if it even exists...

Gameboys are a figment of the mind =o

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    239 580

I had the Gameboy Advance. It set my standards for handheld console graphics ^^
    I remember playing a Fifa game in which you could choose a team and play until you become the World Champions, so I took team from a low division to bring them to the top level :D
    And also a Lord of the Rings game with a system of random generation of weapons that was so coooooool!!!!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Gameboys are a figment of the mind =o
    Gameboys are just one example of the Mandela Effect. They never actually existed but people still believe they did. In reality they just confuse it with a back then very popular soap box.

Years

The Real Game Boys:
    Spoiler:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

How do we know Munna isn't a shill for Big Game Boy?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now

It's a conspiracy as old as humankind itself. Supposedly, when humans where created first, they were still in 8 bit.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Well, you know what they say, art is suffering.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back