• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] the water pokemon club! a place where you can cool down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    We just all gotta work together to keep this club afloat! Hehehe see what I did there?

So, let's talk about the objectively best water Pokémon out there, Milotic.

Why is it so wonderful, what about it's design is so elegant, why does it compliment every team it's on? Discuss!

Years
  • Milotic's the most beautiful Pokemon I have seen to date, and it has my favorite shiny color scheme. It's not just a striking pokemon, it's very resilient. I mean this on a literal level because of it's health and ability to raise it's defenses and recover and use all sorts of utility moves to wear down it's opponents. I also mean it figuratively because it has humble beginnings as a feebas, but with perseverance it evolves into the rare creature you see. It's a great inspirational story, it's all about looking past appearances and caring for others, and Milotic is a peeaceful spirit that is said to soothe others, and ultimately is not just beautiful on the outside, but the inside as well. That's why I like it.

I have a question of my own. One of the things I find that I find interesting about Milotic is how it evolves in gen 3-4, by making the highest quality pokeblocks for it to enhance it's beauty.

What are some of your favorite methods of evolution for water pokemon?

To give another example of a way if evolving that I like would be Kubfu. I think taking it the Tower of Water, battling with it, and reading the water scroll was very creative. I enjoy evolutions that take a little time like friendship based evolutions, or other unusual requirements. I think we should have to work to achieve something special :)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Getting Milotic is an adventure in itself. You have to Surf the water, climb the Waterfalls, Super Rod the tiles and then catch the Feebas. But even after this very arduous task you're still only half way there. Because now the makeover arc commences. You have to clean it, turn that frown into a smile and polish those scales until they shine so bright that even the sun gets blinded. And when that is done, finally the magical girl transformation happens! Alternatively you can evolve it by trading but that's boring.

And then it's finally time for the torunament contest arc. Sweep the competition and faint the jury with absolute beauty. Afterwards you can continue to do the same with the league.

When you're finally done all that is left is to box every other Pokemon, because why would you even need them at this point?

But jokes aside: It's a cool Pokemon and getting it feels like an adventure. One that feels rewarding to go through.

What are some of your favorite methods of evolution for water pokemon?
    Other than the ones you already mentioned I actually have a hard time coming up with others.

I have been thinking about Magikarp, however; especially the way it evolves. I'm a little bit disappointed, to be honest. For Magikarp it's supposed to be difficult for it to evolve. Thinking about it, the only generation where getting a Gyarados felt difficult was gen 1, though. The reason for that is the reliance on switch training and the EXP-Share being locked away for a long time. In every newer generation it just felt easier and easier to get. Just put Magikarp into the party, activate the early EXP-Share and let it do the rest.

I think Magicarp should be able to learn Waterfall. What's more: it should evolve only when it knows the move. However, to make things difficult learning Waterfall doesn't involve the HM/TM. Instead there could be a quest involved, one where you can unlock a way that can still be access for other Magikarp evolutions later on.

Years
  • Milotic is arguably my fourth or so favorite Water Pokémon of all time, beaten by Samurott, Swampert, and (ofc) Starmie. it's indeed beautiful, hits hard, and is relatively bulky, but i almost always prefer to have a secondary typing on my Pokémon, because I value type coverage just that little bit more than aesthetics. Ampharos is sort of an exception, but I can easily Mega evolve it and get a Dragon typing in the mix there :D if they indeed did a Mega for this guy, wherein it would have been added a Fairy typing or so, it might've scored much higher in the ranks.

and for the other question, What are some of your favorite methods of evolution for water Pokémon?

the default for me would have to be Level up since it's the easiest way to obtain one, but the Water Stone is also another good one. i especially like it when i can use it on non-Water types and it'd turn them into one, e.g. Eevee (upon searching tho, i believe that's the only one with that effect, oof).

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Part of me will always love bringing out Magikarp first, then switching it out, and finishing the battle until it evolves. Probably smoke the more tedious methods of evolving a Water Pokémon, but damn was it satisfying back in the day.

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • I think Magicarp should be able to learn Waterfall. What's more: it should evolve only when it knows the move. However, to make things difficult learning Waterfall doesn't involve the HM/TM. Instead there could be a quest involved, one where you can unlock a way that can still be access for other Magikarp evolutions later on.

A means of evolving Magicarp that I thought of is having it evolve when it ascends a waterfall. Upon reaching the top of the waterfall it would evolve into Gyarados. Give it the water/dragon typing. This would tie in nicely with it's lore. So that it's not too OP a waterfall or the means of ascending waterfalls could be a late game placement/feature.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    As we all know: Water types can be encountered in a lot of biomes: fields, lakes, rivers, oceans, swamps, even under water, etc.

What biomes would you like to see more of and what Water Pokemon would you like to find there?

Years
  • To answer the question above I really enjoy the mechanic of diving underwater. I love the sound and music, the darkness and the slowed down pace you move through the ocean floor at. It's a very peaceful ambiance.

I'd like to keep exploring this environment, and it would be cool if the deeper and deeper you went into levels of the watery abyss the Pokemon became more wondrous and rare, Pokemon based on some on the quirkier life forms that live deep undersea in our world like the barrel eye fish or dumbo octopus, or inspired by water creatures from folklore like the hippocampus, Pokemon that can only be spawned in this location and nowhere else.

I have a question of my own for water Pokemon club members.

What is your favorite dual type for a water pokémon?

With dragon being my favorite type of Pokemon, I'm obviously fond of water dragon Pokemon. Dragons are ancient powers, and often they are associated with water, so it just feels right to me as a type combo. Kingdra was our first water dragon, and in my opinion the coolest.

Water ground is a very good typing too, it's resilent. I love my Quagsire. I also like water psychic Pokemon, especially Starmie.

What are some of your secondary types for water Pokemon that you think are interesting?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    What biomes would you like to see more of and what Water Pokemon would you like to find there?
    I like the underwater sections but I also think there could be more of those. There could be more complex dungeons where you have to go through some ancient ruins stuck underwater. Some places can only be reached through one of those sections. You could even make it so that there are multiple layers of underwater sections. Every layer has a different set of Pokemon you can encounter. The regular places could be inhabited by e.g. Clamperl and Chinchou. Later ones could have their evolutions and at the bottom you can find living fossils like Relicanth.

I'd also see more water themed caves. Something with giant waterfalls, lakes surrounded by illuminated rocks, etc. The waterfall sections could have different types of fish like Goldeen and Magikarp. The inner lake sites could have Pokemon like Wooper, Shellos and other Pokemon that run a Water/Ground theme.

What is your favorite dual type for a water pokémon?
    My favorite type combinations are Water/Fairy, Water/Steel and Water/Ground.

Water/Fairies are cute and Water/Grounds are a fun type with only one real weakness in Grass. It's also Gastrodon's type, which is a Pokemon I really like.

Water/Steel I find fascinating and criminally underrepresented. Why is Empoleon the only Pokemon of this type? We need more of them! Dx

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • I had a few thoughts on the different biomes. Game Freak could introduce 'dive battles' where you can only use water types similar to sky battles but, under water. Another, is during surfing only water, flying, or mons that know how to swim (surf) can participate in surfing battles.

For the different biomes one could have different lures for catching the different water types instead of having multiple rods. So for example, a marsh lure would be more effective at catching mons living in the bayou/marsh/swamp. A lake lure more effective at catching mons in a lake. River lure, ocean lure and so on.

As for favorite dual types: water/dragon, water/steel, and water/ground are my favorite.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Did I ever ask if you'd like this thread to become part of the VPP family? Anyone who is a member of this thread will get a small post reduction for every water type pokemon they obtain! :)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    my favorite water pokemon are chinchou and tapu fini! (also yes this should be a VPP thread)

That's great! But I need the thread owner's permission before I do any official. Darth Allen, hit me up and we can get you some VPP perks. :)

Years
  • What is your favorite dual type for a water pokémon?
    water/psychic like Slowbro,water/ground like Swampert and water/electric Rotom Wash style or Lanturn

Water type is a nice bulky type, except Greeninja and Gyarados that are the ultimate water offensive

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    So apparently, I'm the owner now. So I'll try and figure stuff out. ^^"
    One thing, though:
    That's great! But I need the thread owner's permission before I do any official. Darth Allen, hit me up and we can get you some VPP perks. :)
    After thinking long and hard: sure go ahead!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    So apparently, I'm the owner now. So I'll try and figure stuff out. ^^"
    One thing, though:

After thinking long and hard: sure go ahead!
    Beautiful! I'll update the thread when I'm not on mobile! (´▽`ʃƪ)♡

Years
  • I'll join up here, a lot of my favourites seem to be water type!

I have a real soft spot for Lapras, which is one reason it was my first VPP! I take one in nearly every game I can. I also love Milotic, Suicune, actually... nvm, it would be far easier to list water pokemon I don't like 😅

I think I like water types so much because some of their designs, and their lore, are so close to nature <3

Olivia

Hello there
    Years
  • I would also like to join hope dark helmet won't mind
    My fav water pokemon are primarina,azurill,kyogre,ludicolo and more
    Here 's a question what is your fav dual type water pokemon?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back