• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Those who work: do you have your ideal job?

pkmin3033

Realistically, I think it's as ideal as it's going to get. I am now permanently working from home, I work mornings and have a lot of flexibility in the hours and days I work (I work fixed hours but if I need to swap a day all I need to do is e-mail my manager so he knows I'm doing that) and I get more holiday than the minimum requirement...more than what I'm supposed to even, since I always swap my day off with a Bank Holiday so I don't have to work them or take them as leave. I'm doing something I find engaging, I'm one of a team of three people and I get along very well with my colleagues, and I'm fairly settled in it. I'm not happy - I'm never happy, don't be ridiculous - but I am comfortable, and that's more than many people can say and more than I ever thought I'd get. I'm also paid quite well for what I do, so that's nice.

That said. The amount of stress I've been put under during the last six months especially has pushed me into some very dangerous territory mentally on more than one occasion, and there is an extreme amount of frustration in the form of the people in other departments I have to deal with. Things have gone to shit since we were taken over from the local council by a private company who give literally no fucks about us. Even within the smaller unit though, communication is a constant issue and there isn't much I can do about it asides from care less, and as someone who worries about things not getting done that's a very difficult thing to do sometimes. There is also an overwhelming amount of work to do because we've been taking on a ridiculous number of new contracts, a lot of call staff have left and new people need to be trained - and in the meantime, other people need to fill in for them, meaning their work doesn't get done...and in turn, this means I can't do my job, because I need data from other people. On and on it goes.

tl;dr - It's definitely not ideal, but that's more because of current circumstances and environment than it is anything inherently wrong with the job itself, and that's not entirely attributable to the pandemic - we were taken over back in March 2019. Things have been difficult for a long time now. But I'd be hard pressed to find another job that a) pays this well, and b) offers this kind of flexibility in the hours I work and the location, which I NEED because of my health conditions.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Custodial work is not a line of work that anybody goes into because they like it.

The ideal thing would be something that I truly enjoy and pays very well while literally letting me work when I want to and without having to deal with other people if I don't want to and doesn't involve a long commute, but such a job probably doesn't exist. Nevermind that I've never really known what job I'd love to work in.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I don't work, but my husband does and he loves his job! Especially now that he gets to work from home. He's an IT guy, works in automated testing to be specific. It's a lucrative job wherein he doesn't have to do much unless he's building a test from scratch. His current office is dog-friendly as well, so he got to bring in our pups on occasion before working from home became a necessity. They let him choose full remote work just recently as well. Our only complaint about this job is the mediocre health insurance. The co-pay is a bit shit but, hey, he's still got a better job than most people. He's been working in this field for about 7 years. I'd say it's his ideal job!

I personally like being a homemaker/stay-at-home Mom. That's my ideal job: not having to endure panic attacks and suicidal ideations while working for a soulless corporation, all the while I get to keep my house clean, keep food on the table, and indulge in my creative endeavors :) 🖤

Years
  • no, i don't. i'm not really anywhere close to my "ideal" job. i've been working mostly customer service focused jobs for years now, and that isn't what i want to do for the rest of my life. i'd rather work with computers in some form or fashion, but y'know, need certifications and all that fancy stuff to do that.

hopefully i get there one day, but until then i'm working way less than ideal jobs to make ends meet and buy nice things.

Years
  • Other than the pay (doesn't pay very well) my job is pretty much the ideal job for me.
    I work outside so minimal contact with customers or coworkers and no boss around that keeps an eye on me.
    The weather can be bad, but that's usually temporary and can be prepared for.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    No. Yet, work we must. For how else are we paying our bills? The bills that allow us to exist so we can work more.

I don't know what even an "ideal" job is supposed to be like; at least for me.

Years
  • I do think I have ideal job. I love teaching and tried for years to make education in my country better. So teaching future teachers is really ideal job for me as far as I know.

I hope everyone can find a job that they love and enjoy one day.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have a couple of certifications in the hospitality industry, and my only work experience at the moment as been through hotels in our state. After about two years I realized it wasn't for me.

My dream job is night security. That's not a high aspiration or anything, but night watch sounds so cool to me. I can't think of anything I would want to do more.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I recently got a title change (which was technically put in as a promotion from my previous role, which made it better) to what I wanted and felt was the title for what I performed; front end web developer. I'm pretty satisfied with that, although not necessarily satisfied with where I work.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Not really, I work at a Culver's. My ideal job would be better paying, working from home, or just doing something I really want to do like game development...

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Can't say it's perfect but yes, I'm working in the field I love, doing something that I find very entertaining, even if it could be improved. But I've lost count of how many days I've left the office feeling I hadn't 'worked' properly because I'm being paid to do something I'd otherwise be doing for fun.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Almost there. I have the career I want, in the field I love the most, but I'm working to get to full-time (I'm currently freelancing). It requires patience, but I know it'll be worth it when I get an upgrade.

Years
  • I find that I am in my ideal job right now, but it's not something I would expect to make a career out of. It's the best job one could have while going to school through a curriculum that's entirely online, though!

Years
  • Anything which makes me actually /work/. Things like scanning, filing and data entry are brain numbing.

Years
  • I'd say I have 99% of the perfect job.
    I love what I do, and the company I work for is great, my bosses are nice, the pay is excellent, the location is good, and there's plenty of room for growth (like picking up new skills and working abroad).
    The only thing I'd say could be better is the type of company. I don't really have much of a sense of smell, everything man made just smells like aerosol, yet I work for a perfume retailer lmao.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Sep 7, 2021
    well it's certainly the first job i've had which provides benefits for full-time workers and PTO/sick leave accumulation even if you're part-time--and the business actually closes on all federally recognized holidays while providing pay to anyone who'd otherwise be scheduled that day. it all feels entirely foreign to me but it's an incredibly welcome position to be in compared to all of the other experiences i've had up to this point. i consider it the most ideal job i could have during this stage of my life and i'm happy. though on the other hand it's disappointing to acknowledge that the bare minimum requirement for a job to be considered 'decent' is being treated like a human being.

Back