• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen today
    Today I learned that chess is considered a sport 🤔

Years
    Today I learned of the Wodaabe tribe, they are nomads who migrate from Northern Cameron to Chad and Northeast Nigeria. They are one of the last groups of nomadic people in the region. There are not that many of them, around 100,000.

They lead a pastoral life herding cattle, following the rains. They seem to be a peaceful people, and live by a code, semteende, (meek, humble) munyal, (tolerant, patient) hakkilo (careful) and amana (loyal). There are also aspects of animism in their beliefs, or so I have heard.

They worship beauty as well, seeing it as an instrinsic part of their culture that must be displayed,celebrated and shared with others. The women are tattooed and wear jewelry and long, wavy hair , but are comparatively sedate, whereas the men get really creative, painting their faces with bold makeup that is thought to confer magical properties on them, and emphasize having a dazzling white smile. They are tall, striking individuals who will be adorned in beads, feathers, hats and also have braids flowing, and carry mirrors with them, and dance passionately for their women.

Women can choose their own husbands, they can love who they want before and after marriage, and take multiple partners, it's a polygamous tribe. She also has the freedom to leave her husband and take a new one, and start a new life together.

They seem really free-spirited and like they would be fun people to visit.

Last edited:
    Years
    Today I learned that chess is considered a sport 🤔
    sports aren't exclusive to physical activity after all! so long as the competition aspect is there~

today i learned of a relatively big resource of free high quality fonts. i won't post it here since it might seem like needless advertising, but heck my graphic designing life is about to get just that little bit more streamlined!

Years
    I learned it's okay to have bad days there bound to happen still sometimes for everyone. However learning how to deal with it to get better again is the key and feeling what you need to feel is completely alright. Let it out and go don't hold it in, ride out the feelings then things will get better once again. Also having support too is nice to have to help you through your bad day.

Years
    • Online now
    I learned you can find wild dragonite in unova (but it's only a 1% chance by fishing).

Years
    TIL that 8GB/128GB spec phones aren't as expensive as i thought them to be anymore. damn the mobile phone industry moves fast.

Years
    Today I Learned:
    That good people are out there even if hard to find for at least me all my life. Also that they're all on PC~
    Bless you all, you beautiful souls~
    ♡⑅*ॱ˖•. ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥*sending good and positive vibes to everyone here at PC**̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ .•˖ॱ*⑅♡
    (♡ˊ͈ ॢ꒳ ॢˋ͈)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Today I learned how to make homemade mochi! I got the glutinous rice flour, some sugar, and matcha powder and finally got it right! No more store bought mochi for this fairy anymore! ψ(`∇´)ψ

pkmin3033

Today I learned how to play Picross! I also learned that it's scary addicting and I kinda enjoy it. xD

Years
    TIL through Ash that there's apparently a word limit on Discord.

Today I learned how to play Picross! I also learned that it's scary addicting and I kinda enjoy it. xD
    congratulations you now know how to play Voltorb flip as well~

Years
    TIL through Ash that there's apparently a word limit on Discord.

God damnit how am I going to post my 3k Fire Emblem: Three Houses fanfiction in the chat now.

I learned something very unpleasant. But I'm going to remain strong.

Years
    Today I learned it rained all over our planet once for a million years or two. This was 233 or 234 million years during the Triassic period. The scientific name for this event is the Carnian Pluvian Episode. That was amazing for me to learn about, and what happened just before and after intrigued me even more.

Now before the rains came it was too darn hot. Volcanic eruptions had filled the air with so much carbon dioxide that the whole world was a desert, even the ocean was hot. The continents we have today hadn't developed yet, that's later in the Jurassic period. At this point the Earth was still one land mass of Pangea that was scorching, dry and flat, and with everything locked together rain clouds couldn't go far beyond the coastline so it stayed broiling, and there were no mountain ranges to break some of that up.

The reason it started raining was because there was enormous volcanic activity in what would be British Columbia and Alaska today, called the Wrangellian eruptions, which I also learned about today. This went on for 5 million years, producing such thick layers of lava that it raised the temperature even higher, over time the warming temperatures sped up the water cycle, forcing the surface water to evaporate into the atmosphere. So it became humid in short.

Now certain kinds of animals had adapted to live in this once arid place. However, when this endless rain came it threw everything into chaos for these species, and many of the early reptile and ancient cousins to mammals died off, clearing the path for dinosaurs to rise and become the dominant lifeform on the planet. Before this time dinosaurs existed, but they were not at the top of the food chain, the top predators were crurotarsins like Ornithosuchis, which looked like a crocodile with long legs to run on like a person.

In rock datings before the start of CPE dinosaurs made up just about 5% of the fossils of terrestrial cerebrates, but at the end they make up 90% of those fossils.

The rains fostered an environment where large coniferious plants started growing like bennettitales, and that would have altered the food supply, and may have been the key to why dinosaurs endured when many other creatures perished. Some of the lifeforms that had previously outnumbered dinosaurs were Rhyncosaurs, plump reptiles that were kinda cute. They ate plants, had big cheeks and little bird like beaks. They were stocky, but not tall, and crawled around on the flat desert-like environment and feasted on low-growing plants, but in a wet forest landscape, there were now these trees with high leaves and fruit that the poor things couldn't stand up on their stubby hind legs to reach and eat like dinosaurs could. Another herbivore that went extinct was dicynodonts, which looked to me a little like a rhino, and didn't have teeth. They were whimsical-looking, but having no teeth made it hard to digest the fiberous new plant material like woody trees. It was used to living on soft, small plants like ferns, that were now disappearing before their eyes as the landscape changed. Meanwhile dinosaurs had teeth and could chew bark, and some also could eat little rocks that may have helped them to grind up and digest the food material. Dicynodonts couldn't survive on that sadly. This would have also doomed the carnivorous species like crurotarsins because the dyconodonts and rhyncosaurs would have been their prey, so they too wouldn't be able to sustain their population either.

I have heard how dinosaurs became extinct, but I don't usually hear the story of how dinosaurs began to thrive. So interesting content from PBS.

Last edited:
    Years
    Today I Learned:
    I can achieve my goals and dreams by practicing and doing them as well not being afraid to do them. If people don't like me because of it oh well there loss. I do what I love and passionate about if it makes me happy then that's all I need.

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    Today I learned it's a lot easier on myself to bring someone who knows what they're doing to help me with something, and how sometimes I just don't know a lot of valuable information on a subject. Always nice to have people be able to be there to assist.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Today I learned that toast with a little bit of honey is a wonderful combination. :)

Years
    I learned today that many Buddhist monks must walk through their towns to receive food donations to feed themselves during this pandemic. These would be Theravada Buddhist monks primarily. There are multiple schools of Buddhism. Many in the west may be more familiar with Mahayana Buddhism, which is more frequently practiced in the far east like China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam. However, Theravada is the form of Buddhism that took hold in the Southeast like Thailand, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia. It's an older form of Buddhism, and it's monks are very traditional. They have to stay celibate, are not supposed to handle money, they renounce possessions, often walk barefoot and can't even grow or cook food of their own. They are meant to exist just on alms given to them by lay people, eating only what people volunteer to offer them in charity. The reason this is done is so that monks don't become isolated in their monasteries, and always have a strong connection to the community they are part of, and are there to help others by teaching them Dharma.

I was curious about how the lifestyle of these devout people may have changed due to covid restrictions, but from what I have read many monks still venture out into the world for alms giving in cities like Bangkok. They of course wear face masks, observe social distancing and wash their hands, and I think a lot of events at their monasteries were cancelled so there isn't a large influx of people all at once. They are also receiving a lot less than they normally would under these circumstances, but monks still walk out and visit people daily like they always have. I thought that their faith and dedication was remarkable and touching. They keep going, and journey to do what they took a vow to do.

Back