• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the most gimmicky Pokemon in your opinion?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Lots of Pokemon are gimmicks. Some of them are cool gimmicks, but they're still gimmicks. A few examples that come to mind are Ditto, Unown (the mystery around them intrigues you for about 10 minutes, then they do absolutely nothing but take up space in your PC box), and Castform come to mind.

That said, I would have to say that in my opinion the most gimmicky Pokemon are Plusle and Minun. They're super cute, for sure <3 But they were clearly created as a gimmick to show off the double battle feature. When teamed up in a double battle they're average at best, but individually they're not very useful, sadly.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Smeargle. Idk if being able to learn every move is exactly gimmicky, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

Years
  • Some Pokemon I actually like because of their gimmick (Unown, Smeargle, Spinda, Rotom, etc.), but the one that comes to mind that I really don't care about is Chatot. Considering Chatter wasn't the strongest move with a fairly low chance of confusion, it wasn't that great a move to begin with. And now that the whole gimmick of speaking into the microphone to record the move has been removed as of Gen VI, I honestly can't see myself ever using Chatot again.

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • When I picked up Cofagrigus from the Relic Castle I immediately thought that was the most gimmicky Pokemon of the 5th gen, because it had great stats, but all it could learn were some rather pathetic status moves (including Curse, probably the most gimmicky move of them all) and not a single attack. Other than that, I'd say Smeargle with the gimmicky Sketch move. It's absolutely pathetic on cartridges, but works so well on the online battle server.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I find Unown to be the most gimmicky Pokemon. There are 28 different forms of them, but they only learn Hidden Power, and their stats are pretty low, so all they ever do, is take up space in your box. But then again, you could release them if you felt like.

Years
  • We always get a gimmicky Pokemon here and there, but the most gimmicky of them all I have to admit is Unown because your only purpose is collecting their different letter shapes, and they only know Hidden Power anyway.

Smeargle is sorta gimmicky as well, but it does have some good uses in competitive play thanks to the wide movepool it gets access to thanks to Sketch.

Years
  • Smeargle can be quite useful. So can Ditto.
    The ability to use any possible move means you can put any opponent (except a grass one) to sleep using Spore, then Shell Smash and Baton pass, or set up entry hazards can be very useful, and so can the ability to copy an opponent's type, moves, and stats.

Some of the gimmicky Pokemon are useless, like Shedinja and Kecleon.
    Shedinja has a great ability but all it takes is one hit to take it down. It would have been useful if it had a better attack and speed. All it takes is one switch to a sand/hail inducing Pokemon. Oh and what will you do if there's Stealth Rocks up and there's no hazard remover? Shendinja will die on entry. Despite being so incredibly frail, it's not like it's a good sweeper or anything.
    Kecleon's ability can be used by opponents to their advantage.
    Oh and Unown. I never bothered to collect of them.

Castform is another one.

Last edited:

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    When I picked up Cofagrigus from the Relic Castle I immediately thought that was the most gimmicky Pokemon of the 5th gen, because it had great stats, but all it could learn were some rather pathetic status moves (including Curse, probably the most gimmicky move of them all) and not a single attack.

Dunsprace

Remember, gimmicky does not mean any Pokemon you think is bad, it's specifically those that have some unique aspect to them that ends up not being too useful or is only applicable in certain situations.

I love Aegislash, but his strategy (alternate between King's Shield and attack + Brave Nature) is ultimately a very predictable gimmick which is easily exploited. His ability forces you to play him that way so anyone familiar with it can easily counter it.

That said I'll always use him >:(

Years
  • Lucario - they just wanted to create another mascot of the franchise. This thing always have to be connected with some sort of a special in-game event (like the mega evo), appears in Smash Bros. and even got it's own movie. Seriously.
    Oh and also: Eeveelutions. I was kinda okay with the first 3, but then we got 5 more. Because we freaking need more versions of that single-type cat-fox thingy.
    I'm preparing myself for a hate-wave right now :I

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2015
    I disagree with those calling Kecleon's ability a gimmick. I found the ability incredibly useful (especially since kecleon can get recover) if you can keep track of exactly what typing your kecleon is and being familiar with the potential movesets of the thing you are walling. While the opponent can use your ability to their advantage, it is also incredibly predictable and usually I see it coming and switch.

Castform is a pretty bad gimmick in my opinion. He's interesting to use, but there's no reason to carry around a castform because you would need a pokemon with 3 forms of weather on your team in order to give that pokemon a point. If you're only using rain, sun or hail then why aren't you just carrying a pokemon of those types instead of bringing one that isn't even that good?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Lucario - they just wanted to create another mascot of the franchise. This thing always have to be connected with some sort of a special in-game event (like the mega evo), appears in Smash Bros. and even got it's own movie. Seriously.
    Oh and also: Eeveelutions. I was kinda okay with the first 3, but then we got 5 more. Because we freaking need more versions of that single-type cat-fox thingy.
    I'm preparing myself for a hate-wave right now :I

Haha oh yea, I didn't even think of that. The eeveelutions are definitely getting excessive. I mean, it was cool in Gen I having a choice between 3 different Pokemon and all...and I liked Gen II because Espeon and Umbreon were both pretty cool Pokemon. But after that it just got excessive.

Sylveon is pretty cool though. If only they hadn't ruined it by introducing the super generic Leafeon and Glaceon...

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • I always had this weird like of kecleon, and it's got a gimmick is super awesome. I think it's really cool that it can change it's type based on what type hits it. So, if the attacker only has one type of attack, it will no longer be effective! It works!
    (agree with watermelon tango)

Years
  • That said, I would have to say that in my opinion the most gimmicky Pokemon are Plusle and Minun. They're super cute, for sure <3 But they were clearly created as a gimmick to show off the double battle feature. When teamed up in a double battle they're average at best, but individually they're not very useful, sadly.

Nooo Plusle and Minun are Adorable lol.

Defiantly Unown Its pointless and the gimmick its self is rubbish they only have a vague passing resemblance to letters.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Nooo Plusle and Minun are Adorable lol.

Defiantly Unown Its pointless and the gimmick its self is rubbish they only have a vague passing resemblance to letters.

I know right? There's still a few of them that make no sense to me, like G. No matter how I squint at it, I still can't see it as a G. But, it was kinda cool when it first came out, because that was the first time we saw multiple forms of the same Pokemon species. But it would have been like, 100 times cooler if they made Unown actually useful in battle...

Btw, I agree, Plusle and Minun are extremely adorable <3

Years
  • Zorua and Zoroak are two very gimmicky pokemon because of their ability that allows them to disguise as another Pokemon in your party. Of course it's only useful when battling against humans. I think it's hard to pull off the trick, but if you do it correctly it's hilarious!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Spinda. What is even. Pattern.

Well, I might want to say Plusle and Minun too actually. They only exist to show off double battles. Never liked using them. The first (and worst) Pikachu clones :p But the monkey trio of Unova come close too. They were a spoof of "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" and I'm not exactly sure what they were there to show off. They were like extra-starters. But pretty gimmicky if you ask me.

Years
  • But the monkey trio of Unova come close too. They were a spoof of "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" and I'm not exactly sure what they were there to show off. They were like extra-starters. But pretty gimmicky if you ask me.

Well, they do have a use in Black and White by helping you beat the first Gym, which always uses a type your starter is weak against. Hence that's why you go to the Dreamyard and obtain the monkey that beats the one the Gym uses.

Not to mention their evolutions have some decently good stats and movepool. Quite versatile imo.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I'm surprised no one's mentioned Castform yet. I always thought it was rather gimmicky cause it's mainly just there to demonstrate weather changes and how they can affect battles. I never really used it after getting it from the Weather Institute guy. :( It's cute though. I have to agree with Plusle and Minun. They're Pikaclone , which is a gimmick itself, and they're just made to show of double battles. Unown's one cause all they know is Hidden Power which a weak move. They're mainly just for collecting. I personally think Deerling's line is gimmicky too since they just made it to show off the season changes easier.

Back