• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is worse?

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
Years
  • Emotional Pain or Physical Pain? Which is harder for you to endure overall?

To explain further, imagine comparing both forms of pains on an equal level. For example dealing with an intense migraine versus being cheated on by your ex who you loved dearly, or accidentally burning your tongue on hot food vs getting insulted by an angry friend for making a mistake. I'm fully aware that physical pain in a way is emotional pain, because it can effect your mood but I'm trying to compare it to pure psychological distress. Being ignored, bullied, fired, cheated on, publicly embarrassed for example. I'd have to say that emotional pain is worse, at least for me. I can handle most forms of physical pain, but when it comes to emotional torture I can't escape it. It's as if it doesn't end, while physical pain tends to end after a much shorter period of time.

Years
  • Emotional, it takes a bigger toll on me because it's harder to get over depending on what it was.
    But physical pain, it hurts for a bit, but you get over it, the pain will go away, but some emotional trauma never does.

Crystal Berry

Years
  • Emotional, it takes a bigger toll on me because it's harder to get over depending on what it was.
    But physical pain, it hurts for a bit, but you get over it, the pain will go away, but some emotional trauma never does.

I totally agree, unless of course the physical pain is tremendous.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • Yeah like Chronic pain is very bad, I could not imagine suffering from that. It could also effect you emotionally if it's bad enough.
    So rethinking, I guess under certain conditions they could be equally bad?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Physical pain. Mostly because I often take emotional pain to heart. It can be harder to overcome it at times, especially with being a former self-harmer in the past. If of course, like you said though... it's chronic, then I would choose neither.

Years
  • Emotional pain by far. Most physical pain is temporary and can be coped with once you get used to it. However, when it comes to emotions, people go through life changes, and their feelings are always down and don't react well to happiness.

Years
  • Emotional pain for sure. I am someone who's emotionally unstable and one little tip-off at me can just make me suffer a going berserk moment and then after the rampage I feel quite unwell due to the emotional stress. The fact I have been a bullying victim for literally my whole life makes it even worse.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Physical pain. I'm pretty sure having your arm chopped off is gonna hurt a lot ****ing more than if a girl dumps you.

Last edited:

Crystal Berry

Years
  • Physical pain. I'm pretty sure having your arm chopped off is gonna hurt a lot ****ing more than if a girl dumps you.

Physical pain does get more extreme, but I'd compare that more to the most severe forms of mental illness if anything.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I've endured severe physical pain but it was only temporary really. Emotional pain has been just as worse for me since it has been ongoing for many years. To answer the question emotional pain is worse.

Last edited:

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
  • Emotional pain is a lot harder to think your way through and is usually quite abiding.
    Physical pain is a lot easier to think your way through and is usually very fleeting.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    emotional pain. i'd rather have my arm chopped off than deal with the **** i do. :)

at least compensation can be made for my stumpy limb.

Super Prism

Sylveon Enthusiast
    Years
  • Emotional pain sticks with me for far longer. I hate bringing this up, because it makes me sound all dramatic... but I've got some pretty serious depression/ anxiety problems. Little things can ruin my day, and serious emotional pain... Well... It messes with me, to say the least.

To be honest, physical pain doesn't bother me that much. Most of the pain I've felt lately has been from my braces, and it's not that bad. It's kinda nice compared to feeling nothing at all.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • To be honest, it really depends on the person. And both kinds of pains vary significantly. In addition, people's personalities and ability to take pain change from person to person. I do not think it is possible to tell unless its on an individual basis and you experience the worst from each.

Years
  • Emotional pain is just as bad if not worse. I think mentally you change some after experiencing trauma, whereas broken bones, scars, etc., heal and fade over time. Mental scars don't always go away.

Reactions: Sun

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Physical pain. I'm pretty sure having your arm chopped off is gonna hurt a lot ****ing more than if a girl dumps you.

Actually, from my experience, it's the other way around. I would take my arm being chopped off if it meant never feeling that again. Well unless we compare in the moment, in which case yeah, having your arm chopped off is more extreme at the point of occurrence, but over time the emotional pain can build up and overwhelm you.

I guess it depends on circumstance, and what that pain means to you. I think this is something better evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and not generalised, since there are so many exceptions and arguments for both sides.

Back