• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you wear a mask when you go outside?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
  • So, in case you weren't aware, there's a killer virus all over the world and the best way to prevent it is... wearing a mask. Not even a fancy one, just a tea towel wrapped around your nose and mouth works.

And yet, large amounts of people still refuse to do this easy measure.

EbJbU9YWoAU5N3m.jpg

(Poll by YouGov)

Do you wear a mask when you go out? If not, why do you refuse to wear it? How many other people do you see with them normally?

I personally wear one all the time outside of home, and I see a majority of people doing the same. But many young people don't, and I often get mad when I see people carrying the mask on their hands or wearing it as a scarf, especially when they are talking to someone else, because that's precisely when you need to wear it the most.

Years
  • Silly, I don't go outside.

That being said, in densely populated places with huge COVID numbers, it boggles my mind that people are taking so much offence at the suggestion.

pkmin3033

I don't wear a mask when I go out for a walk, but I live in a small village and it's very easy to keep a safe distance when I encounter people, so I don't think I really need to? Unless someone is going to the local Tesco or Co-op I've not seen many people just out for a walk wearing any kind of face covering either. We just all keep our distance from one another when our paths cross, like decent and rational human beings do when there is a pandemic and the advice is that you practice social distancing to avoid spreading the virus.

If I was going to a more crowded or confined space - like a city or a shop - then I absolutely would wear a mask, because I have no particular desire to catch coronavirus and even if the chance isn't all that high I'd still want to take every precaution possible because it's me and if bad things can happen to me they often do. But I've not been anywhere other than the two local shops since the end of March, and wearing one in an open space when I'm probably not going to encounter any more than two or three people, who are going to co-operate with me in keeping a safe social distance rather than try and barge past me or force me out onto the road to avoid them, seems...excessive?

I can't say I honestly care when I see people in crowded spaces not wearing masks...it's your health. You want to take the risk, you take the risk. You know the consequences by now. What annoys me is when people with symptoms don't self isolate. Risk your health if you want, but risking other people's is just selfish and stupid.

Years
  • Oh I do! Especially when I'm going going somewhere that involves talking to or being close to people. ._.
    And the main reason I wear it is because I don't want other people to feel uncomfortable around me or anything. I'm not so much concerned about me catching it myself, if I'm honest. I know this may sound pretty unusual but I care about other people's safety more than my own in this case, and wearing the mask for the most part isn't a big deal.

What's more annoying to me than wearing the mask itself would be how unbelievably gosh darn hot it is... Like I can't go outside at this temperature without sweating, and that's the only thing that kinda irks me about wearing the mask - sweating through it. Yesterday I wanted to drop something off at a post office and there was this huge line and I could just see the dread on people's faces. Like no thanks. I'd rather just stay at home, turn my air conditioning on and drink some iced tea. XD

Years
  • I tend to wear a mask if I'm out in public, unless I'm biking my neighborhood in the evenings. Usually, there's no one around, and I'm going pretty fast to burn calories, so it's hard to breathe.

There have been times I've forgotten my mask, and I usually turn around and go back and get it lmao. I try to keep at least one in my car at all times.

Years
  • The law right now says I have to wear one when going in a building like shops, university and so on and in bus and train. So I do that. Otherwise I don't wear one, mostly because I don't go out to places with a lot of people.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • I don't go out either when I can avoid it. With the way the virus has turned my job upside down it's not hard to stay indoors, and a lot of necessities like groceries and mail are delivered to my house. When it is absolutely necessary to go out like to a doctor's appointment or the dentist or take my pet to the vet I wear a mask. I wouldn't dream of leaving otherwise. Most others that I see have a mask on too, even though I come from an area with relatively few active cases. I'd say people wearing masks probably outnumber those who don't 3-1 when I'm on the streets. You'll see someone without one eventually, but it will be just a couple of people and I am able to keep a safe distance. At least I have got my mask on, so I know that I am not spreading anything to others, and am less likely to contract the virus. At the end the day all I can control is myself.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I've not worn one much since I've rarely been out of the house since mid-March. On the occasions I do leave the house (which 99% of the time is to go to the liquor store) I do, since that was both required by law until recently here and requested by the liquor store I frequent.

I'm likely gonna have to go back to work in a couple of weeks, and chances are I'll be wearing one then. I haven't been told if face coverings will be mandatory or not, but given that we clean a public building, it'll probably be expected. Even if it's not, I probably will wear my mask anyway. I don't really give a shit if covid gets me, but I don't want to catch it and potentially spread it to other people, and wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience at most and can help that not happen.

Sirfetch’d

I wear one if I go out. The majority of people around here refuse to wear them and as a result cases are spiking uncontrollably. At this point I'm doing it to look out for myself since other people seemingly don't care. I hope it's enough to keep me from getting it and spreading it to loved ones.

Years
  • yes, when I'm going to the grocery store. for walks and the like no, since there is a lot of space here and it's easy to keep distance! but any situations where i will be around people, definitely. which has only been going to the store for me so far

Pokeballers

Pokeballers
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    When we go to stores or are with other people, out of respect for them and for our safety, we wear our masks. I crocheted and lined the inside of our masks with fabric - they are featured in our latest YouTube video (channel name: Pokeballers). Let me know if any one of you would like one! We received a lot of compliments at Disney Springs, Orlando.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    If I am literally outside I don't wear one unless I know the area or spot is going to be full of people and even then I most likely won't even go to that area. Now going into ANY building I will always wear a mask. It's an inconvenience and nothing more. I know my friend and I were doing a bunch of running around earlier today and it was getting hard for me to breathe because of how fast we were walking but other than that I will always wear one. I'm not going to be an ass like a lot of people.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • 99% of the time, yes. Unless I'm doing something small like throwing the trash out in the dumpster. Other than that I am always wearing a mask when I go outside.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Yes, even though the situation here is a lot better right now - it is not worth the risk, especially when going to places with crowds (e.g. shopping). I live at home with an 85 year old grandma and I cannot afford to be careless so a mask is a must when going out to places where people could be. That said if I'm just going for a walk around the neighbourhood, it is quiet so I don't need one then!

Years
    • Seen today
    Only in public

We live in an isolated place so going out without a mask is fine, since there's hardly any neighbors.

TheRose

Youtube Lets Player/Twitch Streamer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NJ
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I don't wear one when i'm outside unless I have to, but when i go inside any business I wear one because it's smart to do so and where i live it's mandatory.
    Being from New Jersey, USA we got hit the 2nd hardest with this virus in america, and we are right next to new york which was the hardest hit state with the CV19

Years
  • Yep. Sure do wear a mask outdoors. It's selfish not to wear a mask in public. I think it's mandatory in my state too anyway. Remember social distance and six feet apart ...... or something like that.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I haven't gone outside in three months, so I've had no need to wear a mask. I'm entirely too scared to even step outside at all. :x

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I only wear one in the shops, but not if I'm just going for a walk. In that case I just make sure to keep my distance from others.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Yes, I always wear a mask when I go out. It's an incredibly minor inconvenience. I can not understand why people are acting like it's such a breach of freedom.

Back