• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ARACHNOPHOBIA

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    mandatory question 1: can you handle spiders without losing your shit

mandatory question 2: do you have any phobias?

DO NOT SAY TRYPOPHOBIA!!! y'all learned to hate that the same way people learned to hate the word moist in 2011!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I can deal with spiders unlike my friend who feels the need to burn the house down when he sees one.

As for my fears I have a fear of thunderstorms that has actually gotten better as I've gotten older. I'm okay with heights to a point. I do have a fear of dying.

And yes I can NOT stand Trypophobia to the point where it makes me sick. I just can't.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't mind spiders, I think they're really interesting. My general rule is if it's outside I leave it alone, if it's in my house and absolutely huge I have to kill it. I don't believe I have any fear strong enough to be classified as a phobia.

Years
  • ugh no
    I guess I won't freak out if I see a small spider, but anything more than a tiny one and I will have a mild freak out. I hate most bugs. ):

otherwise yes....I have phobias, but they're all pretty generic. The few I'd consider bad enough to be phobias are my fear of flying, snakes, and heights. Heights scare me so much that looking down even the slightest bit makes me dizzy/wobbly/sweaty. The fear of heights and snakes made me miss many hiking opportunities. Snakes aren't so bad when they're in a cage and I've held giant pythons as a kid, but can't handle the thought of being out in the wilderness for too long since I'm worried I'll see one that's venomous. This fear escalated in April when I was out at a wilderness trail with the bf and what was possibly a brown snake slithered by from the bushes. It didn't pay me any mind at all, but I freaked the heck out.

My phobia of flying has kept me from doing a lot of things I wanted to also. I suppose it's a bit better now, but I still opted to take anxiety medication when flying to ease the fear.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    1: no, and all of my lab knows it by now

2: I also have an irrational (?) fear of bottom of lakes/ocean, deep shipwrecks and the underside of boats. Gskdjfhkj. I gotta google puppies now.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Having grown up with the Australian national park bush as a backyard for a bunch of my life, I'm used to them. I'm certainly cautious about them but I won't panic on seeing one.

I have a fear of heights - not very strong but it does make me feel uneasy at times. Injections also bug me a bunch. If I see someone getting injected in a movie for instance I'd rather not watch.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's kind of only once they get above a certain size that there's risk of me freaking out. The spiders we get around here almost never get bigger than a US quarter, and the majority of them are smaller than that, so they aren't a problem. Still kill them on sight tho. Anything bigger than that is a problem, and the bigger they get, the worse. Same goes for insects. And I never want to see a scorpion in person.

Years
  • I'm cautious about spiders and not thrilled to spontaneously find them crawling on me but I wouldn't say I'm anything resembling arachnophobic. I'm perfectly content to have them around as long as we're leaving each other alone. Can't do heights though. Nope.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I can't say I'm afraid of spiders. I've walked and ran straight through spider webs. They hang out in our bathrooms so I just ignore them. But depending on the spider it may not be ignored. Recently I spotted a very red spider, and threw a shoe at it. If it's potentially dangerous I won't risk trapping it and putting it outside, even though it leaves me with some amount of guilt.

I wouldn't even say that I have any phobias. I was diagnosed with a panic disorder, but it's not at all linked to one huge fear.

The closest thing I think would be heights. But I'll still go to a theme park and ride pretty much anything, however uncomfortable it makes me. When I look up at something high it feels like my body might be forcefully pulled up.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • It depends. Little spiders, I can handle pretty well... I do my best to kill them on my own. Big ones are always harder to deal with. >< As for other phobias... one would be thunder. Yes, I know it can't hurt me. The point is that thunder is unpredictable. I can tolerate it some now that I'm older and what not, but it can still make me nervous. ;w; I also have a fear of loud noises. This is mainly due to having autism. If a fire truck goes by, I'll automatically cover my ears until it's gone. Oh, and I'm deathly afraid of needles/IVs. x___x I don't like darkness, especially pitch black... because my eyes play tricks on me. It triggers my anxiety and ends up making matters worse.

I have others, but I can't think of them...

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Depends. I don't mind them being in the same room as me or anything, but that doesn't mean I want giant ones crawling across my face or something...I'm happy to let them do their thing as long as they don't violate my personal space. Anything that violates my personal space is getting swatted or squished. Spiders are more tolerable than craneflies, though. Fuck craneflies.

I have a few phobias, although I don't really feel comfortable naming them, so I won't.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I can only deal with spiders if they're not super close to me. Otherwise, lmfao, no, I'll probably scream....

& I have a fear of the dark...sort of. By that, I mean, I'm afraid of staring at screens in the dark. I'm okay with darkness outside, but I guess not inside. Does that make sense?

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I might be slightly arachnophobic but I respect spiders and find them interesting. I can't stand people who kill spiders (I see ya'll in the comments; that's messed up, don't ever @ me). They're integral to the environment and are unfairly demonized. Typically when spiders see us, it ends badly for the poor spider, not the other way around. But they help keep other bugs out of your house and don't want to mess with us. Considering we're so much larger than them, it's no wonder.

As for other phobias, I have a fear of heights, certain bugs, and a healthy fear of the deep ocean, but that's pretty much it. I'm not particularly phobic of anything.

Sirfetch’d

I legitimately cannot deal with spiders. If I find out that one is anywhere remotely close to me I leave the area until it has been taken outside or far away from me. I am not sure why I developed this phobia so late in life as I don't remember being so terrified of them as a kid

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Can I handle spiders? Yes. Sure. In my house we just sweep them outside. I do somewhat dislike big butterflies and moths being too close to me, but I just swat then away, and try not to kill them.

As for other phobias, I hate loud sounds.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    As for other phobias, I hate loud sounds.

There's one I guessed I missed. I don't consider myself phobic of loud sounds but really loud noises that overtake all other senses give me sensory overload and will put me into particularly bad panic attacks. It's a very specific scenario, usually only caused by super loud motorcycles. I nearly passed out once when a really loud motorcycle played on an episode of King of the Hill, lmao. Don't know if I ever had that reaction to real life, though.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I can deal with spiders unlike my friend who feels the need to burn the house down when he sees one.

As for my fears I have a fear of thunderstorms that has actually gotten better as I've gotten older. I'm okay with heights to a point. I do have a fear of dying.

And yes I can NOT stand Trypophobia to the point where it makes me sick. I just can't.

Legit have all the same phobias, or I used to, but they have also gotten better. Googling Trypophobia pics legit makes me wanna vomit, but in general I dunno how much it bothers me these days? Haven't been met with any forms of it that are that bad.

My two things nowadays are flying bugs and fire. I HATE CREEPY ASS FLYING INSECTS, and fire is a heck no. Not even that fond of lighting candles.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • 1. absolutely not. they are so gross and disgusting. something about their legs and how they move freaks me out.
    2. i have a fear of other bugs, not just spiders. other fears are pretty generic. death, drowning/deep water, getting very sick, car accidents, etc. i guess getting pregnant might be seen as a weird one, but with myself being a trans guy it makes sense.

Years
  • Okay yeah I should probably also add myself to the phobia of fire group. I feel like it's gotten better over time, but if you tell me to light a candle using a match I'd probably still not do it. :s I remember when my boss from an old job would have a birthday party for some business partner and ask me as the receptionist to light the candles on cake, I'd get one of the loan processors to do it and tell them I was too busy with something that needed urgent attention lol.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Listen ya'll if you need anyone to come and take care of a spider just let me know. As long as it's not like venomous (that's when we call an expert haha) I'll catch it and release it back into the wild (or kill if I absolutely have to but I try to keep them alive first). I might be spooked if it like... jumps at me but that's just like reflex I'm totally okay with spiders themselves.

As for phobias I don't really have any??? Not any that I would say are worth mentioning in any case as anything I fear I wouldn't really call it on the level of a phobia.

Back