• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Enjoy Driving?

Years
    • Seen today
    I've taken notice that some people speak of it as relaxing, others do it out of necessity.

Personally I've been on and off from learning. It's incredibly stressful to me. I heard the more you do it, the better is gets. I'm not getting that feeling. There's always the thought in my head that I could do everything correct, but still get seriously hurt as a result of someone else.

It's been like 6 months since I've driven. I've been taking the bus as much as possible. Need to get in more practice soon I guess.

If you don't drive, what's your preferred method of transportation? Or maybe you have someone else who helps you get around, which is okay too.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Yes but people do not enjoy driving with me

pandr.gif

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I absolutely hated the thought of driving when I was younger and was mortified of even trying. Now I haven't been able to drive in almost a year because I've had what we think are seizures while I've been driving and had at least 2 accidents. One with Mom where she drove it over the curb and hit a tree to keep from us hitting anyone else and the second was me on my way home from work. Coming off the highway, going through a light and flipping the car down the hill on the other side. A MILE from the house no less...lol. The worst of it was 17 stiches in my kneecap. The very last one was me at the tire shop getting new tires on the car when I passed out and screamed scaring the guys.

So until I can get some kind of test done to see if they can figure out what the hell is wrong with me (which is everything...lol) they'd rather I didn't drive. The first two times they didn't want me driving for 6 months in case I had another seizure which never happened it was always after the six months was up. Can't win and now that I can't drive it drives me nuts because now I have to rely on other people to take me places. I can't just up and go whenever I want to.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I don't drive mostly because of having mental impairments. I get distracted VERY easily, and I also have a tendency to not know what I'm doing, let alone have a solid sense of direction. There's a number of other reasons, but I can't really think of them. ><

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    When I first started driving that was how it was for me too, that it was stressful because of the fear of getting myself or someone else hurt with this 2000+ pound hunk of metal. Got over that but then the fear was replaced with getting lost, the couple of times I've taken wrong turns and such were not fun. You don't exactly just get to go "oops I missed the street I was supposed to turn on, lemme just turn around" here. I also avoid driving on interstates as much as I can.

Can't not drive though, since the US only has a handful of places where public transport will even begin to reliably get you to everywhere you'll ever need to go, and I don't live in one of those places. And then most of the public transport we do have around here is tailored to people working 9-5 Mon-Fri in New York City.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I hate driving. I get panic attacks whenever I do. That wasn't always the case -- I used to really enjoy it and do it just to get away from everything. Driving with all the windows down on a nice day with my dog in the backseat used to be such a joy for me. Then my panic disorder decided to shut that down real quick by suddenly bleeding into my driving.

It didn't happen after an accident or anything like that. Even after the accident I had where I got rear-ended at a stoplight, I still enjoyed driving. It happened sometime after that, after I was working two jobs. I think the jobs gave me panic attacks and my body associated them with the drive (as well as working, how bout dah). So now I don't drive at all. I miss the good old days of driving free. :(

Years
  • Here in the Philippines the streets are a free-for-all. Road lines are a mere suggestion to 90% of drivers and lane splitting isn't illegal, so you can bet motorcycles are gonna be everywhere.

It's too scary for me so I just commute. Nothing's that far even that warrants me getting my own car so it's all good.

Sirfetch’d

I go on drives all of the time either just to grab a bite to eat or to listen to music and enjoy the open roads. Driving is one of the very few activities that I find relaxing nowadays. I didn't always feel this way though and used to actually despise driving lol

Years
  • Back when I was driving to practice and get my license, no. Honestly as someone who is easily anxious and isn't able to quickly react when needed most of the time, I found it extremely stressful. Every time I drove I was sweating bullets. Being in a car/train/almost any mode of transport also makes me really sleepy and I can't help but doze off. Haven't driven for years because of all those reasons, since I didn't want to risk getting into an accident.

Years
  • Back when I was driving to practice and get my license, no. Honestly as someone who is easily anxious and isn't able to quickly react when needed most of the time, I found it extremely stressful. Every time I drove I was sweating bullets. Being in a car/train/almost any mode of transport also makes me really sleepy and I can't help but doze off. Haven't driven for years because of all those reasons, since I didn't want to risk getting into an accident.

I understand! I feel the exact same way as you.

Years
  • Yes except for the part when I have to take my girlfriend anywhere she wants. That can be a bit annoying sometimes. Aside from that I like driving so much! I feel at peace when I drive on my own and it's so relaxing. I like driving specially at night.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • It gives me anxiety. Luckily the last time I needed to actually drive was during the driving test 10 years ago.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Since I got my new car this year, I loved driving. It was like therapy for me, even during traffic times. lmao.

But being in quarantine and not being able to go anywhere I miss driving so much.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • i love driving. honestly, it's something that destresses me. some people take walks to clear their mind, i take a drive. generally, i drive long rural roads or highways. i don't like driving in big cities much because other people tend to be aggressive.

Pure Essence

Reverb, Resound, and Repeat!
    Years
  • I never want to drive. I just feel like I would be too impatient, plus my hand-eye coordination is bad, so I'm not gonna risk it.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I think driving is okay, on one hand you get all this freedom and can go wherever you want to go as well as blast music but then you encounter other people who cannot drive and I have ended up in so many near miss accidents because of this. Additionally, it can be stressful too, especially on highways, and that's not good for my jaw disorder.

SusieSue

Grass Type only
    Years
  • A lot! I like driving alone with music. Across the country

Yay, same here. But it's even more pleasing when you're driving a motorcycle. 😜 Though now when you're riding you need to wear anti-covid mask like this, that's a bit uncomfortable especially if you want fresh wind on your face.

I think driving is okay, on one hand you get all this freedom and can go wherever you want to go as well as blast music but then you encounter other people who cannot drive and I have ended up in so many near miss accidents because of this. Additionally, it can be stressful too, especially on highways, and that's not good for my jaw disorder.

I agree that driving may be stressful at first but later you just getting used to it, at least, that's how I feel.

Last edited:
    Back