• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Mental health club

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
  • Hey gamers. I'm surprised I haven't posted here at all yet. It's become painfully obvious to me within this past school year that I have ADHD. I think I was tested a few years ago, so I was always somewhat suspicious, but now it's very evident. I'm dropping this in a spoiler tab, in case it gets too long.
    Spoiler:

And another vent, while I'm in a writing mood...
    Spoiler:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • These are sort of out-of-the blue "shower thoughts", but... reflecting on a lot of things, I just want people to know... if someone you care about seems "off" and is distancing themselves, avoiding normal social activities, ghosting etc... patience and understanding are some of the best things you can give them. Don't get mad or take offence, but don't push yourself on them, even if you think you're helping - just... see them. Listen to them with patience. Listen to their body language, acknowledge something is going on inside them that you can't see. When they do reach out, try to realise it. Again, be patient. Don't judge, or get mad. Be responsive. Sometimes even the simplest response to someone reaching out can save them from isolation and despair. Even simply "thinking about you", or a small gesture of kindness, like making them their favourite meal, or drawing them something, anything that shows they're on your mind. And most of all, ask the all-important question of "how can I help?" Ask what works for them, rather than stating what you think is best for them, what help they should get - try to cast aside bias and see things from their perspective.

I'm sure many, many people here have been that person who isolates and distances themselves during dark times. Maybe they feel unworthy of help, or believe they're getting in people's way, and the guilt of knowing they are worrying/burdening others makes it worse. Maybe they truly feel utterly alone, even if it seems against all rationality. Or perhaps they just like to muddle through on their own until things are better. Everyone has their own way of experiencing it, of getting through it, their own ways of reaching out, and what helps them. It can be very hurtful for others, being pushed away, so to avoid getting hurt further, they... give up. Move on. Try to forget the person hurting. It's natural, but it's so, so important to step up and be there during those fragile moments, when the person hurting has the courage to reach out. Even if there's been a long break between your interactions. Seize that opportunity to say "hey, I'm here. I see you. I remember you."

I've definitely been distancing myself socially the past year, particularly this year, and the hardest part of that is: despite knowing it hurts others, that it creates an ever-growing, painful distance between you, especially when you reject their help - you're still in too fragile and volatile a place to mend things and try to resume where you left off. So, you close each other off. It's... easier that way? But harder at the same time. Especially when you share an environment with the people you're growing distant to.

At least for me, I know what's best for me and how I can help myself. So I know it'll be okay in the end if I keep "plodding along", as my mum says. Not many people have the opportunities to truly understand what they're experiencing, let alone the solutions they can take to remedy it. It's no wonder countless numbers of us end up feeling isolated in our suffering, all alone. And yet, out there, across the world, beyond the people we know, the places we see, there are others who know exactly how we feel, people who would go out of their way to spare us some love, empathy and kindness if our hardship could only be heard. The journey to find them, to find others just like me, who can gather even a glimpse of true understanding, and use that as a the foundation for an unbreakable kinship, gives me hope. I've found one person like that... so I know they're out there. Don't ever give up. Life can show us some truly wonderful surprises!

Years
  • I haven't been having the best last few weeks.

Feels like anxiety (especially closer to late afternoon and nighttime) is creeping up on me again. I get stressed and anxious and my nervous tics (like swallowing) come out, and the more I behave nervously the worse I feel throughout the day. It was also hard to sleep because I was having difficulty breathing because of the anxiety. A lot of it happens for no reason, but I also have a 4-hour flight coming up mid next month and as many people know I am absolutely terrified of flying so the time leading up to it stresses me out so much. Made an appointment with the doctor around the corner to get some prescription anxiety meds for it, last time I got them they barely did much so I'm going to need a higher dose this time. Even though I've flown like 30 times now I feel like my fear either stays the same or gets worse over time. Sigh. Mom suggested trying yoga/meditation and valerian supplements which I'll try out but if it doesn't get better I'm going to consider longterm prescription meds, I'm tired of living like this.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I haven't been having the best last few weeks.

Feels like anxiety (especially closer to late afternoon and nighttime) is creeping up on me again.

I relate to this so much, Janna. :( My anxiety has been spiking out of nowhere, too, and it just makes it so hard to concentrate throughout the day. It makes me super jumpy and I get overwhelmed with people so I have to close myself off - it's no fun at all! I don't have any medication for it, I just have to wait out the worst parts. Even now I'm literally shaky as I type this and I don't even know why my anxiety's acting up.

What I learned is that if it's getting bad, if you can, just lie down for a while on your bed, dim the lights, and lie in silence for 5-10 minutes for some focused breathing. 10 minutes works best for me! Or if you prefer sound to take your mind off things, then some calming music to focus on, or a relaxing video can do wonders, too!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I haven't been having the best last few weeks.

Feels like anxiety (especially closer to late afternoon and nighttime) is creeping up on me again. I get stressed and anxious and my nervous tics (like swallowing) come out, and the more I behave nervously the worse I feel throughout the day. It was also hard to sleep because I was having difficulty breathing because of the anxiety. A lot of it happens for no reason, but I also have a 4-hour flight coming up mid next month and as many people know I am absolutely terrified of flying so the time leading up to it stresses me out so much. Made an appointment with the doctor around the corner to get some prescription anxiety meds for it, last time I got them they barely did much so I'm going to need a higher dose this time. Even though I've flown like 30 times now I feel like my fear either stays the same or gets worse over time. Sigh. Mom suggested trying yoga/meditation and valerian supplements which I'll try out but if it doesn't get better I'm going to consider longterm prescription meds, I'm tired of living like this.
    Hi me. I'm you.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    You know, I was never happy when my psychologist last year told me that I don't have depression. Given how much stuff I went through over the year and my lack of hope and wants and stuff it just never made sense. At the same time I also don't fall into the general depression category due to simply not having the symptoms. For example, I never had any issues getting out of bed, no matter how down and destroyed I was. In general, there are no external tells that could show any of that. Sure, a schizoid personality disorder makes sense and especially looking back on many of my past experiences a lot of them were caused by it. At the same time I can also say with certainty that severe inner emptiness and a desire to embrace death ever since my early 20s (which turn more and more into desperate desires every day) certainly must be some sort of depression. I've actually only recently heard about the term "high-functioning depression" and I think it fits very well. It's different from regular depression in that the symptoms are not external. People with it may look fine from the outside and actually contribute to society as any other person would. But they are very much a train wreck in the inside, devoid of any sort of happiness and borderline suicidal and stuff.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I think the trouble with diagnosing depression is it can manifest in so many different ways, and with so many different symptoms that can vary wildly from person to person. I think in some ways I also suffer with high-functioning depression, in that I can generally get out of bed, do the kind of bare minimum basics each day, etc. I'm sure you could look at me and say "well he doesn't look depressed", but that (sadly lol) doesn't mean I'm not. A good therapist should really be able to talk that through with you and not just dismiss certain symptoms just because in other ways you don't necessarily 'fit' the generally accepted image of what depression is or looks like.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I hope you find a much more supportive and understanding therapist, no therapist should be dismissive of their client like that. I think Inky said it well but high-functioning depression is just as valid as other types of depression. It deserves just as much attention and care from a therapist. I'm sorry to hear that happened :(

I also relate to a lot of what you said as I have always had high functioning depression. I've always tried so hard not to let it affect my life externally and learning what the right balance is between pushing through and just giving myself the off day is something I'm still figuring out. Opening up was hard because people can be dismissive as you've said but there will eventually be people who are understanding and willing to listen to you. If that means having to switch around therapists until finding one who is understanding then I can promise it's worth it rather than putting up with people who won't take the time to listen to your experience!

Years
  • I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but if not...I don't know guys. *shrugs* My autism is getting weirder by the day or week. Last week, my energy level was super high. I was like a little kid in a candy store hyper at everything. After I did something super fun last Tuesday, my energy level dropped super low, and it was like I was running on auto-pilot all yesterday. Last night, I went to bed at 8pm cause let's face it, I was zonked. Now i'm like normal energy (I know it's past 11:30pm here but that's because I was in an engaging conversation with my housemates. Guaranteed I will go to bed soon).

My homeroom teacher expects me to be "sunny" and not "dark" like I was in the past, and that has been a recurring theme among me and her since I got back into day-hab in February. She always says "If you are aware, you are accountable." Meaning if I know I am having a behavior, I can fix it. But I feel like I am expected to be nearly perfect, and I don't know why I feel this pressure. Maybe the expectation is non-existent. I kind of want to switch homerooms cause I just want to be me (whoever the hell I am, I can not tell you). But my homeroom teacher thinks so highly of me, it might just break her heart.

Idk really.

Years
  • I'm not sure if this is even related. But I'm a woman, which means I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult. When I told people of my diagnosis, they immediately became more critical of me. Suddenly, I couldn't do anything right, I didn't know anything, and every word I said was picked apart.

It still is. Even if we are aware, autism means that we can't always execute what we mean to. But it doesn't mean everything we do is inherently wrong.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    95% of my family isn't aware that I have a panic disorder, even after ending up in the ER multiple times.

If I get asked, the answer is just "had some problems".

Mental health isn't the easiest subject to explain, and there are still many people who will outright reject it's existence.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I stumbled upon some new "terms" that seem to describe my mental state somewhat better.

The first one is "living in survival mode". Basically: when all you try every week is surviving until the weekend. There's no real living in this one. It's just a matter of trying to find a way to get through the week.

The second one is "wanting to not exist". This is not to be confused with "wanting to never have been born" or "wanting to die". It's basically just a state where you don't want to be dead, but you also don't want to be alive. I guess, it's easier to say that it is a state where you simply don't feel the pain that you feel while being alive. But it's also not having to commit to something as final as death.

Years
  • The second one is how I described my depression to my therapist. It has me in a constant state of that or seeing no value or hope in my life. It's been this way for 9 years.

On one hand, I want help, but on the other I feel like I can't be helped? But I'm going for it because I don't want to give up. I still have someone who needs me.

Back