• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you consider yourself to have a good memory?

Years
  • i personally pride myself on having a pretty solid memory as far as long term stuff goes. short term....honestly, not so much. i find myself being pretty forgetful re: certain day-to-day things.

what about y'all?

Years
  • Yeah... my long term memory is really good. I actually wish it was worse because there's a lot of things I'd prefer to forget lmao. Short term is pretty average though.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't remember.

*Show end credits*
    Spoiler:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Long-term memory, yes. Sometimes my mom looks at me funny when I bring up something ridiculously specific from our shared past. Working memory... eh, could be better. I can remember some tasks, but I also rely on lists and notes to get stuff done.

I also have a hard time remembering faces unless I have an emotional connection to the person, and even then it tends to "blend" or "deform" itself with other faces in my mind - which sometimes makes it all the more difficult to picture stuff in my head. Not so much names though; I can recall names, I just have a bit of trouble attaching them to a face.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Fantastic long term memory, awful short term memory.

A medication I take impacts my short term memory and I sometimes blank out. A little frustrating, but it's a manageable side effect.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I have a strong memory about people. I can remember conversations, birthdays or facts people tell me about themselves years later, whether it's an acquaintance or a friend and regardless of how small it is. I also do well at standardized tests or school exams because I can memorise patterns to answers and recognise them in an exam. But my memory for anything else is hot garbage. I can forget books and movies I've seen almost instantaneously, I never seem to know where I put down my phone.. the list goes on :D

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I think my memory is fine.. but I do have this one weird quirk where I memorize and repeat song lyrics after one or two listens. This doubles for music produced around the mid 80s to early 2000s. And gets even more intense if the song happens to be nautically themed.

Can't explain it, don't know why, it's just bs that my grey matter latches onto and keeps indefinitely. Were it up to me, I'd learn an instrument or something actually creatively satisfying. Or maybe use that grey matter to devote to more art and writing

Years
  • Long term is pretty good.
    In terms of my short term, I need only read a number sequence a few times to memorize. This includes credit card details.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I have a pretty good long term memory, but I don't think my short term memory is that great because I feel like I have to repeat something to myself over and over in order to remember it. But maybe that's actually the anxiety of forgetting something important that's short term rather than forgetting?

Years
  • I grew up with basically an eidetic memory but head trauma put an end to that. Now I can barely remember what I done 2 minutes ago! I often walk into a room and can't remember why I was going there.

My short term memory is absolutely terrible these days. My long term memory works occasionally, and I sometimes remember things I thought were lost, albeit very randomly.

Years
  • It's average. If I don't work on it, I end up forgetting day to day things like chores or essentials to bring when I go out. That's why it helps to supplement this with stuff like alarms, written schedules, mental checklists, narrating what I'm doing and am about to do to make sure I don't lose track.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • Long term is pretty good. I can remember oddly specific stories and details, but I'm not the best with remembering years. They tend to blend together (trying to remember which year this happened, or when this one meme was popular) Short term isn't as good though. I might get distracted while doing something and forget something.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • my memory is weird. i definitely remember super important things, but my short term memory can be iffy depending on what information is given to me. ive always been told i have a selective memory. my long term memory, again, is also iffy.. it can be a bit frustrating sometimes trying to put together pieces and whatnot.

Years
  • hmm, I think I m just in the middle. I often think I don't have good memory because I forget things and especially names, birthdays and so on. However, I would say most of the time I forget things because I am not focusing enough on that kind of information. I have pretty good trouble at truly paying attention because I often always think about something else and I get distracted really easily. This surely affects "memory". In general, I often find myself having no memory of many events of the past and I often tend to forget short information like what a person studies, how old they are, their birthdays and so on. Sometimes it's also my insecurity that triggers me and makes me question many things, for example (btw this happened lol): person tells me she's 23 and turns 24 in few days. I try to memorize that but after a while I am like "was she 23 and turns 24 or she was 24 and turns 25?" and while I still kinda remember she's 23, I can't really trust my instinct on that and I get confused and end up having no idea and forgetting lol rip.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    My short term memory is terrible. I struggle with remembering to do tasks while I'm still doing them. I often have to ask people multiple times what I'm doing just to make progress.

Learning languages is excruciatingly difficult for since I have an issue of memorizing the material. The only way I remember is by seeing it on flashcards daily for months. For whatever reason new language material just doesn't go into my long term memory when I first hear it.

Once something is in my long term memory though it's hard to get out. I remember just about every fact and story I've been told to by people. That includes those I haven't seen in years or people I barely know.

Years
  • Gosh no, I wish omg. I constantly forget things and wonder how my husband remembers them, especially when they're from years ago. idk.. most things are minor enough that my brain just doesn't retain them too well. @_@

Back