• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arrange the 22 Starters (Sun & Moon Starters included) in order of most favourite to least favourite!

Toughie, but my list would go something like this:

1. Treecko: One of the very first starters I used (second after Charmander, if I recall correctly) and the first one that I was able to fully evolve! This is mostly for nostalgia reasons, but I also like the Treecko line as they are even if the sentimental stuff was thrown out of the way. I liked how he was portrayed in the anime, Grovyle is an interesting character from Mystery Dungeon as well, and Mega Sceptile is one of my favorite megas.
2. Bulbasaur: Really cute! :D Ash's Bulbasaur is just adorable and especially with his interactions with May's. He is quite tough in-game as well, now especially due to the improvements of the Poison type.
3. Charmander: He was my very first starter, because I was one of those pyrokids who were naturally drawn to fire for some reason. Charizard has a cool design, especially when Mega Evolved to Charizard X - due to the Dragon typing.
4. Mudkip: I had an "I liek mudkipz" phase way back around 2011, so there's that. :P But Mudkip is also cute and Swampert is a strong one.
5. Totodile: My personal go-to starter in Johto. Cool design, awesome fully evolved. :)
6. Torchic: Liked May's in the anime. Also pretty cute.
7. Oshawott: I had an Oshawott phase when it was first released, my previous account's username being miju-kun from Mijumaru. I still find it really cute, along with its evolutions!
8. Cyndaquil: If I don't pick Totodile, then I usually go pick Cyndaquil. Typhlosion is a great fully evolved starter, although it is a bit unremarkable.
9. Snivy: I love it, picked it in my playthrough of White 2! Snivy has a regal appearance.
10. Squirtle: I nearly forgot about poor little Squirtle. As I was making this list I knew something was missing. D: But Squirtle happens to be one of my favorites, didn't expect it to place this low.
11. Chikorita: Don't really use it much, unfortunately! My sister always picks Chikorita, leaving my only choice Cyndaquil or Totodile - because I like using a different starter than her. :d I love the design though.
12. Piplup: One of the few who likes Dawn's Piplup. Sinnoh starters are just meh to me though. :(
13. Froakie
14. Turtwig
15. Chespin
16. Chimchar
17. Fennekin
18. Tepig

I didn't feel like writing any descriptions for the last few, but I definitely don't dislike them! I just happen to like the ones higher better. The Pokemon at the top part of my list are there due to nostalgia, but the ones at the bottom are the more recent starters... I'm not that objective, aren't I? :P I only put the main starters, but if I were to add Pikachu, I'd place it where Torchic is.

Hmmm... lets see from 19 to 1

19. Tepig - Ugh, I could never get myself to really like Tepig at all...
18. Mudkip - Mudkip really annoys me, unique enough but I just don't like it.
17. Froakie - Dislike at first sight. Like most I don't like its the middle evolution that I perfer.
16. Piplup - Sort of cute, but again don't like
15. Turtwig - Seems too strange to me, not bad however
14. Chikorita - Always disliked the look of it, seemed really strange, Really Strange doesn't appeal to me
13. Totodile - First of the starters I don't mind.
12. Chimchar - Its okay for a fire type primate. I'm not too fond of monkeys thro.
11. Squirtle - Don't like Squirtle as much as I once did
10. Torchic - Cute. But not really my sort of pokemon.
9. Bulbasaur - Bulbasaur has always been an interesting starter for me
8. Treecko - One of the few pokemon which I'm about equally fond of each stage.
7. Charmander - I like Charmander quite a bit, its middle evolution is meh however.
6. Snivy - Snivy looks cool. I like the look but I'm not so fond of it as a starter choice
5. Pikachu - As much as I do get sick of seeing Pikachu so much, I do like it a lot.
4. Chespin - Love the basic form but really dislike its first evolution
3. Cyndaquil - Not as fond of it itself as some other starters but I love its evolutions
2. Oshawott - A little weird but hey its an awesome otter.
1. Fennekin - The line is on the top 10 list overall. I find Fennekin endearing and awesome.

Here is my list from favorite to least favorite.

1. Mudkip
2. Piplup
3. Snivy
4. Oshawott
5. Fennekin
6. Torchic
7. Treecko
8. Charmander
9. Cyndaquil
10. Tepig
11. Turtwig
12. Squirtle
13. Bulbasaur
14. Pikachu
15. Totodile
16. Froakie
17. Chespin
18. Chikorita
19 Chimchar

I consider my personal ranking from my personal experiences playing with these starters, from getting them at the start, and eventually reaching their fully evolved form.

Spoiler:

Torchic is ranked one for me because i really like its transformation from cute to awesome as it grew. Blaziken is my most favorite mon out of all 720+++ so yeah.

Fennekin is at 2 because its simply one of the cutest ones to be designed.

Chimchar is at 3 because in its respective base games (DPPt) it was definitely the best starter, especially when fully evolved to Infernape.

The main reason why i ranked Chikorita so low is that well, in my experiences playing GSC, i remember how i felt helpless with it as my starter in the early game with the very first 2 gyms already being direct counters. I just felt like i should have picked Totodile or Cyndaquil back then years ago. Also, not to mention, Chikorita's final form Meganium doesn't have the best movepool compared to the likes of Typhlosion and Feraligatr who have really good movepools and can learn a variety of moves to carry a team, much like how a fully evolved Starter should be most of the time. I just didn't feel it with Meganium.. Oh the nightmares of playing a Grass monotype in Crystal x-x.

Also Pikachu was ranked lowest based on its ability to carry a team as a starter. Obviously this was not a case in Yellow where it simply didn't have the stats to do so, and Light Ball or held items in general were not yet in the first gen. But for some reason, I never had the heart to just box the thing nor was i that heartless to even release it even up to this day. There's really something about the Yellow starter-chu.

1. Fennekin
2. Totodile
3. Piplup
4. Snivy
5. Froakie
6. Chimchar
7. Torchic
8. Treecko
9. Chespin
10. Cyndaquil
11. Turtwig
12. Tepig
13. Mudkip
14. Squirtle
15. Charmander
16. Oshawott
17. Chikorita
18. Bulbasaur
19. Pikachu (Only so low because I don't see them as a true starter!)

1. Piplup
2. Turtwig
3. Snivy
4. Fennekin
5. Treecko
6. Mudkip
7. Oshawott
8. Chespin
9. Charmander
10. Froakie
11. Torchic
12. Cyndaquil
13. Chikorita
14. Bulbasaur
15. Squirtle
16. Tepig
17. Chimchar
18. Totodile
19. Pikachu

Squirtle
Pikachu
Cyndaquil
Turtwig
Treeko
Snivy
Tepig
Fennekin
Eevee
Rest of starters
Oshawatt
Bulbasaur

1. Fennekin
2. Totodile
3. Piplup
4. Snivy
5. Froakie
6. Chimchar
7. Torchic
8. Treecko
9. Chespin
10. Cyndaquil
11. Turtwig
12. Tepig
13. Mudkip
14. Squirtle
15. Charmander
16. Oshawott
17. Chikorita
18. Bulbasaur
19. Pikachu (Only so low because I don't see them as a true starter!)
Pikachu was my OG starter!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Pikachu
2. Cyndaquil
3. Fennekin
4. Torchic
5. Charmander
6. Chikorita
7. Snivy
8. Treecko
9. Oshawott
10. Chespin
11. Tepig
12. Turtwig
13. Chimchar
14. Froakie
15. Totodile
16. Bulbasaur
17. Piplup
18. Squirtle
19. Mudkip

Bout halfway down they meld into one category of "i like these all evenly and there's no certain order but hey!"

1. Piplup
  2. Turtwig
  3. Snivy
  4. Oshawott
  5. Chespin
  6. Chikorita
  7. Cyndaquil
  8. Chimchar
  9. Pikachu
  10. Squirtle
  11. Bulbasaur
  12. Mudkip
  13. Totodile
  14. Froakie
  15. Tepig
  16. Treecko
  17. Torchic
  18. Charmander
  19. Fennekin

For more convenient lists, here are the types and gens with their ranks
Fire: 7, 8, 15, 17, 18, 19 (Avg:14)
Water: 1, 4, 10, 12, 13, 14 (Avg:9)
Grass: 2, 3, 5, 6, 11, 16 (Avg:7.17)
Electric: 9

Gen 1: 9, 10, 11, 18 (Avg:12)
Gen 2: 6, 7, 13 (Avg:8.67)
Gen 3: 12, 16, 17 (Avg:15)
Gen 4: 1, 2, 8 (Avg:3.67)
Gen 5: 3, 4, 15 (Avg:7.33)
Gen 6: 5, 14, 19 (Avg:12.67)

TL;DR: I like Gen 4 pokes and Grass types.

1. Fennekin
2. Treecko
3. Torchic
4. Snivy-
5. Mudkip
6. Froakie
7. Oshawott
8. Piplup
9. Bulbasaur
10. Squirtle
11. Charmander
12. Chespin
13. Totodile
14. Chimchar
15. Pikachu
16. Cyndaquil
17. Turtwig
18. Tepig
19. Chikorita

More people like Fennekin than I thought. Maybe it's just the people I hang around with, but they are a bit more partial to Froakie than Fennekin. Ah well, at least I am not alone in loving such an adorable fox!

1. Treeko
2. Charmander
3. Froakie
4. Chimchar
5. Tododile
6. Cyndaquil
7. Turtwig
8.Oshawott
9. Bulbasaur
10. Mudkip
11. Pikachu
12. Snivy
13. Torchic
14. Piplup
15. Fennekin
16. Squirtle
17. Tepig
18. Chikorita
19. Chespin

It seems that in general I tend to be more partial to fire and water starters than the grass ones (although there's obvious exceptions). I also seem to be more fond of the gen 2 and 4 starters than others.

For the most part my list is pretty mixed up in order, it would definitely be a little different if I was going by final evolutions though.

1.) Charmander
2.) Chimchar
3.) Totodile
4.) Squirtle
5.) Treeko
6.) Froakie
7.) Snivy
8.) Torchic
9.) Bulbasaur
10.) Oshawott
11.) Mudkip
12.) Pikachi
13.) Fennekin
14.) Piplup
15.) Chikorita
16.) Cyndaquil
17.) Tepig
18.) Turtwig
19.) Chespin

I like the majority of the starters; their final evolutions are normally really powerful and unique! I was a bit biased however because my favorite types are fire types.

1. Pikachu [generally one of my favorite Pokemon]
2. Froakie
3. Bulbasaur
4. Snivy
5. Squirtle
6. Oshawott
7. Treecko
8. Piplup
9. Chikorita
10. Mudkip [not a huge fan of Mudkip and Marshtomp, but I do love Swampert]
11. Torchic
12. Totodile
13. Cyndaquil
14. Charmander
15. Turtwig
16. Chespin [its first form is adorable, but I'm not as fond of Quilladin and Chesnaught]
17. Chimchar
18. Tepig
19. Fennekin

1. Torchic (He was my first starter.)
2. Piplup (Empoleon looks pretty cool. Piplup's kinda of cute.)
3. Turtwig (I choose Turtwig as my starter in Platinum.)
4. Squirtle (I choose him in my X run. I don't remember why though.)
5. Charmander (Charizard's pretty cool to use.)
6. Mudkip (I don't know why. Maybe it's because he is a meme?)
7. Cyndaquil (I raised him in my first Heartgold run.)
8. Totodile (I used him in another run of Heartgold I believe.)
9. Bulbasaur (Venusaur looks cool I suppose.)
10. Oshawatt (I used him in Black 2.)
11. Chimchar (I like Infernape's appearance.)
12. Treecko (Sceptile looks pretty cool.)
13. Tepig (I don't really have an opinion for anyone ranked 13 and lower. I don't hate any of them though.)
14. Fennekin
15. Chespin
16. Froakie
17. Snivy
18. Pikachu
19. Chikorita

I primarily judge based on designs of their final forms and mega evolutions.

1. Treecko
2. Charmander
3. Torchic
4. Totodile
5. Turtwig
6. Chespin
7. Oshawott
8. Froakie
9. Squirtle
10. Snivy
11. Fennekin
12. Cyndaquil
13. Mudkip
14. Chikorita
15. Chimchar
16. Piplup
17. Tepig
18. Pikachu
19. Bulbasaur

1. Piplup - Pearl is still one of my favourite games, Piplup is a huge part of that. I didn't evolve it for over 200 hours because I loved its design so much. My Piplup gave me my favourite ever Pokemon memory, beating Cynthia finally with only one Pokemon remaining for each of us. :)
2. Fennekin (I regretted not choosing this starter in my first play through, despite originally picking it then starting again straightaway. I love everything about this Pokemon, its typing, design and its evolutions)
3. Charmander (My first ever starter on my introduction to Pokemon: Red)
4. Chespin (My first X starter, it's so cute!)
5. Mudkip
6. Totodile
7. Squirtle
8. Bulbasaur
9. Chikorita
10. Oshawott
11. Froakie
12. Pikachu
13. Cyndaquil
14. Tepig
15. Chimchar
16. Torchic
17. Treecko
18. Snivy
19. Turtwig

Last edited:
1. Charmander
2. Treecko
3. Totodile
4. Torchic
5. Squirtle
6. Piplup
7. Turtwig
8. Bulbasaur
9. Oshawott
10. Chespin
11. Chikorita
12. Cyndaquil
13. Snivy
14. Froakie
15. Mudkip
16. Fennekin
17. Chimchar
18. Tepig
19. Pikachu

I'm judging them mostly for just the starters and not the evolutions:

1. Fennekin
  2. Oshawott
  3. Piplup
  4. Snivy
  5. Chikorita
  6. Torchic
  7. Bulbasaur
  8. Froakie
  9. Chespin
  10. Turtwig
  11. Mudkip
  12. Treecko
  13. Charmander
  14. Tepig
  15. Totodile
  16. Cyndaquil
  17. Squirtle
  18. Pikachu
  19. Chimchar

I ussualy keep my starter at the pc as soon as i find i pokemon i like more :P i'm a horrible person :3

1. Cyndaquil
2. Mudkip
3. Charmander
4. Torchic
5. Squirtle
6. Snivy
7. Chikorita
8. Pikachu
9. Bulbasur
10. All the others. Sorry Game Freak. Just, :3

Back