• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you ride a bicycle?

Years
  • If so, when did you learn? Do you still ride your bike? If so, how frequently?

I've always been embarrassed to admit that I never learned how to ride a bicycle. I fell once when learning, skinned up my arm, and had no interest in learning ever again. My parents didn't really push me to try to learn, either. I've always had a mediocre sense of balance - I broke the major bones in my arm while attempting to skate in 7th Grade - so I always figured I'd never learn how to ride a bicycle.

My boyfriend and a friend tried to teach me about 5 years ago, but...I was easily frustrated and gave up.

My boyfriend and I were running an errand back on the 16th, and we saw some people riding bikes across the street. Normally, when we see people on bikes, I make a joke along the lines of "That could be us, but you don't know how to ride a bike" - but not this time! I asked him what he thought about buying a bike and trying to teach me again. He agreed, but put in a stipulation that he wouldn't be buying his own bicycle until I learned.

So, I bought a bicycle!

It took a day or two to get the balance down, but I was cycling (without losing balance) by the 18th. I've practiced pretty much every other day since then, and even biked over 5 miles on a bike path this past Saturday.

Going forward, I plan on trying to ride my bike at least once or twice a week. What about y'all? What's your story?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Nope, I can't. When I was learning, I fell in a flowerbed in my apartment complex. Shortly after the meanest lady in the apartment complex banned bikes altogether. So, I never got to learn, and now I'm too old to.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nope, I can't. When I was learning, I fell in a flowerbed in my apartment complex. Shortly after the meanest lady in the apartment complex banned bikes altogether. So, I never got to learn, and now I'm too old to.
    I just learned at age twenty-eight - you're never too old. :)

Sirfetch’d

I can. I haven't rode in years but we've always had nice bike trails and my parents bought me bikes when I was young so I got good at it pretty early in life.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I could ride a bike with training wheels as a child but never practiced beyond that. Tried to ride a bike 10 years later and I forgot how to - I couldn't balance properly on the bike at all. I would love to relearn how to ride a bike though, it seems like a ton of fun. It's cool that you managed to learn how to and that you're enjoying it now. :D

Years
  • it has honestly been so long.... probably at least 15 years. i wonder if i'd still be able to ride one properly haha, but would probably still adjust back quickly enough!

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • i can, but it's been a long time since i've been on a bike. it took me forever to learn how to ride a bike. i think i was 13 and still using training wheels. i would love to bring my bike up from my parents house; its a nice bike and is practically useless at the moment, but if it was up here, i think i'd have more incentive to leave my house and get some exercise.

Years
  • I learned when I was 8 or 9, and I really loved it.
    But since my mental health has gone down hill, I don't really enjoy many things anymore...I sort of have to force myself.

pkmin3033

OK, now that that's off my chest...

I learned to ride a bike when I was six or seven, I think? I remember racing up and down our old garden with training wheels, and then later in the road without. I used to live near the top of a hill, which provided endless opportunities for going as fast as humanly possible...and then grumbling as I had to push the damn thing back up the hill again. I don't even HAVE a bike any more though - I gave it to my brother years ago, and I don't know if we still have it...if we do, it's probably more rust than bike now, because he doesn't use it either.

I've not ridden a bike in at least eighteen years though. I used to cycle to and from school in my first year at Secondary School, which would have made me eleven...or maybe twelve? I really do not remember that far back. xD

Years
  • I should be able to because I'm told you never forget once you learn. I first remember riding a tricycle when I was 5-6 just in the yard, up and down the driveway and next door. I don't think I've ridden on a bike since I was 12. In my teens I donated my bicycle to a children's home. My school was a 2-3 minute walk from home, so I didn't need it and it was in very good shape and may have made a less fortunate girl very happy. The people who worked at the shelter were very excited about the donation.

Hat's off to folks who have newly learned to ride. A lot of people never learn to bike.

Can you ride a bicycle?

Since you're never to old to learn maybe I will do that with ice skating one day.

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I learned how to ride a bicycle (without the training wheels) when I was ten years old. I ride frequently, and it was at least twice a week before the lockdown began. It's my mode of transport when my parents aren't around. I use it to visit my friends and my cousins. A year back, I'd cycle every day I loved it because I got to explore the part of the city I live in, and it's also a fun exercise.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Yup! I've learned how to ride a bike when I was a child and afterwards, rode it quite frequently. It was extremely useful when I was in university where parking my car would be inconvenient and I would even take it downtown because there are definitely times I refused to drive. While I don't ride as often anymore, I still try to give myself opportunities to ride my bike; I even went for a bike ride recently after not biking for a while and hopefully I can do more.

Years
  • although i haven't ridden a bike in years (and by years i mean since i was a kid), i'm about half confident i can ride one decently well. i might need to relearn the basics i think, but once that's down i think i'll be ok. it's kind of a huge bummer though that there's no real reason for me to buy a bike these days because i live close to the city here and to my knowledge there aren't any bike trails super close by or anything like that. and i am most certainly not biking anywhere near the city. @_@

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    i can't, and i've never tried. never had much interest when i was little, and my parent's weren't interested in pushing me to learn. i'd really love to learn, but i worry i'm a little too old now and it would be embarrassing :-/

Back