• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Covid 19

Years
  • i just want to go for a walk in my local park but i guess we live in a society where that's too much to ask. :s just to get some fresh air and whatnot.

Years
  • My two quarantine will actually end on my birthday so I'm going to treat myself to a nice walk to the local supermarket to hopefully find enough groceries to cook nice things for the next few days if the selfish pricks haven't raided everything first. And also providing we're still allowed to go to the supermarket at the time of our choice by then too. Crazy times.

Years
  • My mother and sisters keep breaking quarantine and leaving the windows and doors open... where I live had no cases at the start of the month to at least 40 now. I think I'm going to just hide in my room and not let anyone see/go near me.

The virus is spread by people, so just having the doors and windows open to let in fresh air is not an issue as long as you don't have random people walking in through that door and coughing in your windows.

i just want to go for a walk in my local park but i guess we live in a society where that's too much to ask. :s just to get some fresh air and whatnot.

Going outside is OK but it's important to keep your social distance. The virus is spread mostly by people expelling their respiratory fluids by coughing or sneezing into tiny droplets, which will fall towards the ground because of gravity up to a distance of about 6 feet, so try to keep that distance, if not more, if you can from another person when you're out in public. As long as you're not closely congregating with people in groups, going outside is safe, and to be honest we all need to get our sunlight and exercise as more and more things get shut down. Where I live it's not too packed, and I was able to run for half an hour without getting close to another person.

I'm surprised that there have been 21 replies to this thread and the term "social distancing" has not popped up even a single time. I don't know where you guys have been getting your information, but it's important to get informed, and you may have to look for non-US sources of news, as unfortunately the delay of the US government acting will mean that COVID-19 will continue to get worse for the foreseeable future. Chances are that we may be looking to many months to over a year before all this is over. Make sure that not just your family, but your social circle and your community are educated because a pandemic like this requires a community effort to fight.

I can't say enough for y'all in the states, it's going to get worse. It only looks better than places like Asia and Europe because the US was exposed to the virus later than those other countries, meaning you too will progress closer to that point in the future. Chances are most of you guys here will be relatively fine, individually speaking, because the demographic here tends to be young, and up to 80% of those infected with the virus will not show symptoms. But that means the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, especially those that compromise the immune system, are at much greater risk, and doubly so because those 80% of people who don't show symptoms can still spread the virus.

The worst part about the virus is how quickly it spreads. The virus can be deadly in and of itself, but by causing a large enough people to get sick it can overwhelm the healthcare system, and people will die because there was not enough healthcare resources to go around. Therefore, many of these potential deaths are PREVENTABLE!

Until we get a vaccine and produce and deliver it to 60%+ of the population (which is probably many months away) the only way to protect the most vulnerable of our community is to practice social distancing. Please, please, please spread the word. Don't go out where other people gather if you don't need to - getting food, medicine, and other necessities is OK. Pubs, movie theatres, and other such places where people gather would be high risk area for transmitting the virus. If you have to be out in public, try to keep that 6 feet distance. Practice good hand hygeine, which means washing your hands with water AND soap (a good lather will dissolve the virus allowing you to rinse it away). Hand sanitizer works too in a pinch. And keep in touch with your community and loved ones because we'll all need to keep our spirits up during these trying times. If we all work together, we will be saving lives.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Uragirimono said:
    My mother and sisters keep breaking quarantine and leaving the windows and doors open... where I live had no cases at the start of the month to at least 40 now. I think I'm going to just hide in my room and not let anyone see/go near me.
    Kanzler said:
    The virus is spread by people, so just having the doors and windows open to let in fresh air is not an issue as long as you don't have random people walking in through that door and coughing in your windows.

Not only that, but it's typically recommended to open your windows in order to ventilate your home. I'd assume the only time doing this would be a bad idea would be if you live in a sardine-style community where your homes are all packed on top of one another. As was mentioned, the virus only has at most a 10-foot trajectory before it comes to rest on the ground, so unless your homes are within like 5 feet of each other, having windows and doors open is generally a good thing.

With that said, people should avoid ever walking through their home with their shoes on. I already have a shoe rack and get really anal about not having shoes on in my house, but I know a lot of US homes just let people walk around with their shoes on. Not good. And yet another reason for ventilation if possible.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • My mother will be following work from home from today onwards. But my father works in a pharmaceutical company, so he still has to go to work, especially because the company is focussing its efforts towards Chloroquinone production now.
    Also, the Police are detaining anyone who is not following self-quarantine. Only essential services workers are allowed to be out of their homes (and grocery workers too - groceries are open still).

Years
  • So now the UK is in full lockdown and we cannot leave the home for nonessential reasons...yet my sister is off to see a friend later today. She's so selfish.

Years
  • So the 2 trillion Coronavirus stimulus has not been able to advance through the Senate yet. They are short of the 60 votes needed for cloture.

The bill is supposed to help businesses that have been hit hard by the pandemic, lowering their taxes and helping them get loans. It's also intended to get several months of unemployment insurance to Americans who are put out of work, paid leave and more.

It has more in it for corporations than I would like, but hundreds of billions of dollars will be helping small businesses and every day people too at least, unlike the Wall Street bailout.

I believe that anything is still an improvement over the current situation, and hope this legislation still contains UBI (1,000 dollars a month to every American) by the time it is finished.

As I understand it Democrats are blocking it, saying it's too short term and there needs to be more in it, especially for the workers and the poor. Last I heard late on Sunday the vote was a deadlock 47-47.

I think this is the first time I agree with Mitch McConnell on something when he said, "This has got to stop and today is the day it has to stop. The country is out of time."

We have several hundreds dead in the United States and more than 30,000 people we know to be infected and growing. It may not be everything I desire, but we have got to get some form of aid out right now while people are hurting. I support putting as much into the social safety net as possible. Until it goes through congress though nobody gets any help, and nothing changes. So I wouldn't take my time.

Democrats also need to be careful in the year of a general election not to be seen as obstructive to a popular and anticipated relief package for the country. We're already not seeing leadership from Joe Biden, whose been barely visible, and is speaking nonsense by telling folks to go out (at risk of infection) to vote him in while boasting that he would veto Medicare for All even if it passed congress. Meanwhile Pelosi's arguing there should be more paperwork with a test for your income bracket before receiving 1,000 dollar benefits. This doesn't look competent. Americans can't afford to keep waiting for assistance. We have to be united on this. The stimulus is not only a step in the right direction, but essential.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    And how much did they quickly toss at the stock market earlier, again? ):

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I'm sorry but after the so-called "President" has been acting lately I disown him and refuse to call him "President" until he quits acting like a spoiled 3 year old. When he called a Reporter a "Terrible Person" for the question he asked that MANY have been asking put the nail in the coffin. I don't care if you like the question it is your duty as the dare I say Leader of this Country to answer the people's questions. I don't care for Mike Pence all that much either but he earned my respect when he answered the same question Trump refused to answer. I bet the world laughs at us with what we have in office.

Uragirimono

this profile is embarassing dont look at me
    Years
    • Age 19
    • Seen Oct 6, 2023
    Thank you guys for educating me on this, I think I'm just letting my worry for them get to my head since they could get more sick than me.

Years
  • Trump said something about "reopening the country" within weeks, not months. What is everyone's take on this? Well, I feel like it's the Great Depression Part 2. Idk if where I live is in "lockdown" or not, but....it's like 95% is. EVERYTHING is closed except take out places. Even some of those are closed down. I think supermarkets are open still. My friend who works in one says they open early for the seniors, then stay open until 8pm for the rest of the public. Idk how true this is.

I'm afraid to formulate an opinion in all honesty.

If I said anything wrong, please let me know.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • Trump said something about "reopening the country" within weeks, not months. What is everyone's take on this? Well, I feel like it's the Great Depression Part 2. Idk if where I live is in "lockdown" or not, but....it's like 95% is. EVERYTHING is closed except take out places. Even some of those are closed down. I think supermarkets are open still. My friend who works in one says they open early for the seniors, then stay open until 8pm for the rest of the public. Idk how true this is.

Unrelated, but I've heard that Liberty University (Christian College in the US) is opening back up soon and forcing all employees to work. I'm not going to talk about Christianity itself here, but Liberty has made a stupid decision in allowing the floodgates to be opened.

On the topic of Trump, I think that this mismanagement is going to cost him the election. We wouldn't be in this mess if he didn't defund the CDC and call it a hoax for two weeks instead of taking this seriously.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't know how it is in other countries, but the economic impact of the coronavirus has been half the conversation here in America. The push in the U.S. to lift restrictions and go back to normal sooner rather than later is largely because the powers that be want the populace to be allowed to feed big businesses again--businesses that have already gotten and will be getting another bailout in the days to come, and don't really need the help to begin with. The people in power are willing to risk the health and safety of the poor and middle class in order to make sure that the wealthiest people in the country don't become slightly less wealthy. Supporters of the desire to go back to normal in a weekish will of course, as always, dress it up as the government just doing what is really best for us, but a thin veil is still a thin veil.

Some people have apparently said that the current situation may last a year, and while I don't personally buy that it will go for that long, thinking that we can end this in a week or so is just the other extreme. Hospitals across the country are overwhelmed, there's a shortage of medical supplies+testing, and there's no sign that coronavirus is slowing down in the U.S. In my state (New Jersey), we now have nearly 3700 confirmed cases and 44 deaths today. The day before was 2800 cases, and the day before that was 1900 cases and 20 deaths iirc. You don't need to be a well-informed medical doctor to see that it's still too soon.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Think more shops need to start using methods like this guy in Australia:

Covid 19

Do get the feeling that the UK Lockdown could be made even stricter after seeing pictures/clips of the tube stations in London this morning. Seeing that made me think we weren't even in a lockdown to begin with.

Years

Within weeks? Personally I think it's laughable. Lots of wishful thinking, and of course, people want to get back to business as usual. But you can't just talk or pray the virus away.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but the economic impact of the coronavirus has been half the conversation here in America. The push in the U.S. to lift restrictions and go back to normal sooner rather than later is largely because the powers that be want the populace to be allowed to feed big businesses again--businesses that have already gotten and will be getting another bailout in the days to come, and don't really need the help to begin with. The people in power are willing to risk the health and safety of the poor and middle class in order to make sure that the wealthiest people in the country don't become slightly less wealthy. Supporters of the desire to go back to normal in a weekish will of course, as always, dress it up as the government just doing what is really best for us, but a thin veil is still a thin veil.

That's interesting. There's been talk of the economic impact of coronavirus up here, but it's more so of a passing interest. The focus by and large is still on social distancing and hunkering down, and naming and shaming people and businesses who don't comply and the leaders who aren't doing enough. Goes to show how much mainstream media can influence the discourse at the grassroots level.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Are you staying indoors during COVID-19?

If so, how are you coping with it?

That's what I'm doing. I don't want to risk it, even though I'm probably healthy enough to fight it... I just can't handle the stress of being quarantined and all that stuff. I'm trying to push myself to do whatever I can indoors. It's just hard because of my set routine. ;w; If it weren't for old episodes of Retro Replay + Troy Baker, I'd be losing my shit.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I'm used to staying indoors most of the time. I've been keeping myself entertained with drawing, video games, surfing the web, and general chores. The only time I do go outside is in my backyard.

Back