• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you collect Pokémon with different forms/appearances?

Years
  • There are a lot of Pokémon with different forms/appearances in the series as of now. Some of them include:
    Pikachu in a cap
    Unown letters
    Burmy and Wormadam
    Shellos and Gastrodon
    Vivillon patterns
    Flabébé colors
    Alcremie cream patterns
    Pokémon with gender differences
    And more!

This list usually excludes Pokémon that trigger form changes in battle, such as Mimikyu and Cherrim, since those stay in a single form unless specific battle conditions are met, and therefore can't really be collected (unless you play Pokémon GO).

Have you ever collected any of these, and do you go out of your way to try and collect any of them now?

Years
  • My answer is.. nope!
    The only exceptions are, I have caught all Unown forms in DPPt/BDSP since there's a bit of a quest attached to it, and I have obtained as many different Cap Pikachu as I can, just because I like the caps.

Otherwise, I don't have the energy. I actually get tired when I see people's living Dex includes all different forms/genders/etc. It was enough work for me to construct a living Dex back in ORAS and keep it updated, I don't want to go back and get each individual form now.

Years
  • Pretty much the same answer. Despite I think that different forms/appearances are amazing ideas, I am ok with not collecting them. Only case I did was with Unknown. The rest, not really my thing. But as I said, I love the idea!

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Yeah, I like the concept and like drawing them or might even have a favorite form, but I've never been much of a collector in the games. I think the first time I even got close to finishing the Pokedex was SwSh and that was more because I was in a Wonder Trading event so getting higher numbers was easy.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I never even had the patience to complete a regional dex, so nope. Collecting multiple forms of the same species would be a nightmare for me, with so many games to play and replay I prefer to finish one and move on to another game. Most I could do is catching 2+ Wurmples, or catching a female and a male Burmy, etc. but that's it.

Years
  • I don't give a hoot about the capachu's, but I did grab them when they were released as an event in SwSh.

I collected all the Unown letters in BDSP, ORAS (postgame) & HGSS. Idk why I did it multiple times lol

I didn't bother with Burmy itself, but I do have all forms of Wormadam in BDSP =3

Shellos and Gastrodon, collected both forms in BDSP for some reason even though I usually don't bother lol

Vivillon patterns 😍
    Took quite a while, started it back in XY and never finished it. Then eventually ended up trading the ones I was still missing in Home for spares I had. I got them all now including the 2 event ones =D

Flabébé line.... despite liking the line I just never bothered with all the colors lol

Didn't even know Alcremie had multiple forms till I received a greenish one in a trade and just went 'wait what, why is it green?' Haven't bothered with this yet. Not sure if I will at all.

Pokémon with obvious gender differences such as Hippowdon, Pyroar, Unfezant, Indeedee etc. Yes I collect both.
    For subtle differences I can't be bothered.

Got both forms of Toxtricity, but I highly prefer the amped form =p
    Got all Rotom forms sitting in my PC box in SwSh =3

As for Furfrou.... I'll toss this one onto the idc pile.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    If I'm committed to making a live dex, I'm absolutely going to get all of the different forms possible. And shiny versions of each after that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2022
    I do! Though I typically reserve it for post-game if possible, or only use one form in my playthrough and stick the others in their own little box.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Generally, no. Grabbed event Pokemon, like cap Pikachus and Pokeball Vivillon. Values those for being rare event Pokemon more than as a set.

One exception: Deerling forms. Only kept one until recently. Traded for the rest after someone wanted them. Retains its season through breeding. Could be interesting for a future egg-based playthrough. Pops far more than Flabebe colors.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • If the cap Pikachus are available? Then, yes, I'll attempt to. I think it's pretty cool these exist in the first place as an easter egg to the anime. (We need one for Legends Arceus if we don't already tbh).

Unown letters, only tried once for this, it's too tedious for me to do it, tbh. :x In D/P, catching more Unown is the only way to catch Hippopotas in the wild, so you kind of have to catch Unown if you want one.

For Burmy and Wormadam, since the forms for Burmy aren't permanent, technically no, but I've thought of collecting all the Wormadam forms at least once.

Shellos and Gastrodon are easy enough since there's only two and they're in distinct locations, after all.

Vivillon patterns? I collected a couple through trade. Otherwise? No, lol there's way too many of those for me to bother, and you can only get Scatterbug in the wild in Kalos anyway, so. u_u

Flabebe colors? I've attempted to do so, yes. I have a shiny Flabebe in my X version, as well. I'd like for them to put Flabebe in Gen 9, tbh.

Alcremie, well, I tried some of them and have a box full of her forms, but I'm definitely too lazy to get the rest of them.

Definitely don't care to collect all the gender differences of every single Pokemon, though, that's too much effort. :x

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah, I definitely do. I think the only things I don't collect are event-exclusives since it's a pain to even get one mythical. I also don't do minor gender differences since I don't regard them as significant enough. If the menu sprite is different, it's fair game for me.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Yep! Last year, most of my time, pokemon wise, was to get all the forms in Pokemon Home.

I have all the Deerling/Sawsbuck Forms, all Burmy/Wormadom Forms ect. I have all the Flabebe line forms. And FINALLY I managed to get every Vivillon Forms last year!! WOOO! It was always a desire to get every Vivillon form. It took 8 years, but finally did it lol.

As for genders, I only worry about significant gender differences. So I don't worry about small changes like Pikachu has. But if they are like Pyroar/Hippowdon ect, I will get them all. So if they could possibly be considered a different pokemon, I will grab.

The only forms I have not caught all of yet are the Unown, which I was working on in HG/SS which I might still try to do if we don't get another Johto Remake. I think I can catch all of them in BDSP and Legends, but I kinda want to get them in their native game.

I also haven't worried about Alcremie. While I got all the different swirl patterns ect, I am not gonna spend so much time getting 5 or 6 of the same swirl pattern with only the little treat changing. It is just too much work.

I also never bothered collecting Furfrou forms, but I've started doing that in Pokemon Go now. Though I've never really liked the pokemon and forget it exists most of the time. I also never cared because forms used to be temporary until Go. I have no idea how many forms there are though.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • In my live dex I have all the regional variants, the most egregious gender differences, all Unowns and the Picapchus. And I'm satisfied with that for now.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    There is little time to collect different looks for the same pokemon, as some of them are rather hard to get thru events or mystery gifts. Honestly it be tendious to collect different variations so no for me

Back