• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you remember the first glitch/bug you experienced?

Years
  • Whether it was intentional (such as the MissingNo. glitch, which many intentionally activated for their benefit) or not, do you remember what your first glitch or bug was? Or have you yet to experience any bugs/glitches in the games?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    The Missingno glitch. Wanted infinite technical machines. Suffered from RPG hoarding, even back then. Could not bear to use such a good, limited item.

Years
  • I did the Missingno glitch once as a child just because I wanted to see it myself.
    I never used it for items or anything though. Just encountered it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    First glitch was catching Mew in Red/Blue/Yellow. Was stoked that I could get Mew in those games. Don't remember anything else except that one.

Years
  • MissingNo for me too! Obviously very intentionally, wanted those items like others haha. Also the infamous 1/256 move glitch - each move in gen 1 had a built-in miss chance and I was so confused when some of my moves missed despite having 100% accuracy. :sweat:

The Foogle

Gone For Good
    Years
  • I remember encountering a few B2W2 glitches, mostly after i had heard of Ohnickel's glitches video. Some of the main ones that i tried out were the Pokestar Studios surfable tree and the Habitat List Victini glitch. At the time i couldn't get Victini, so it was my first time seeing it in BW.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • That one spot in the Opelucid gym in B/W where you can just walk off of the dragon and stand on air (but only 1 tile). I was just fidgeting with the D-Pad.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • My first intentional glitch was the Missingno trick in Blue. I wanted to clone items such as Rare Candy and Master Balls like any other person would. Many years later when the Mew glitch was discovered, this caused me to pick up the games again and get that Mew. It's amazing what glitches are discovered.

My first unintentional glitch was the PC storage cloning glitch in Gold. I had corrupted a Pokemon and it became a level 100 Hitmontop with OT: IAN (my trainer name was BRIAN). I believe it had the nickname of the former Pokemon, so there was no way for me to change its name to Hitmontop. It was the only way I got a Hitmontop in gen 2. I couldn't get a Tyrogue with matching attack and defense (I didn't think of using Protein/Iron at the time).

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    I'm not sure but it might have been the Cinnabar Island glitch (where you can get pokemon over lv 100 in R/B/Y), because I had read about it in some magazine.

Without intentionally looking for it, it was probably the hall of fame glitch that resulted from using the Cinnabar Island glitch.

dewitlykefire

Dew It Lyke Me
    Years
  • The first glitch I encountered was, which I think is the best of them all, Missingno at Cinnabar Island. I thought it was an amazing find.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Uh, first glitch was not something I intentionally activated, one time, I was playing Platinum and I was watching the TV when suddenly the text was garbage (as in, it wasn't words, but weird symbols, no, not the Unown symbols, btw) for a few seconds. But, I definitely experienced a different glitch in Diamond before this, but I don't remember well.

Also, I experienced the Pokemon transforming into something else glitch in Mystery Dungeon, and no, I don't mean a Ditto using transform, I mean two of the same Pokemon standing next to eachother and rapidly changing from one color to the next and saying it was a different Pokemon when I defeated it. But, the first time it happened, a Togepi became a yellow Ratata.

The only glitch I intentionally ever did was the cloning glitch in Emerald. I still remember losing my Groudon and Kyogre to this glitch.

But, a lot of the glitches I've had happen to me were just random. Like, I had the Acid Rain glitch happen in the cemetery in Sinnoh once. (In Platinum).

And... I believe I told the story about my scary, barely playable Pearl that's full of scary glitches and freezes, right? One of the first "scary" ones I encountered was I was battling a Hiker and suddenly... "Geodude was buffeted by the ---!" and the game froze...

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Not counting the many, many, many, many, many glitches in RBY that just pass under the radar because they work behind the scenes (like say, the Badge Boost Glitch or the 1 in 256 glitch), I don't think I've ever came across any glitches?

I remember trying to pull off the duplication GTS glitch back in Diamond but I didn't even manage to pull that off, lol.

I got my grubby little mitts on Scarlet though, so it's only a matter of time ~

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • After trying to think about it, our first experience with glitches might have been getting an action replay and checking out what you could do with walk through walls, or discovering how to use an emulator and going ham with glitches in Pokemon Yellow. First glitch we found on accident or naturally was probably in Pokemon Rumble Blast how you can use Waterfall on the elevator lifts in the last town I think and your Pokemon will be stuck in the air as it goes down. Though it's possible we encountered something when we were younger but just don't remember it.

Years
  • Despite the glitchiness of the games over the years (and especially because I started with Gen 1), I've never encountered a glitch "in the wild."

Years
  • I remember when cheating in Diamond I walked to this long isle where Shaymin was. Initially I saw Shaymin's sprite but as I got onto the isle it disappeared. Aside from the cloning glitch in Emerald that I looked up, the first glitch I encountered without cheating was surfing onto a tree in Black 1 or 2. Peers were talking about it and I thought it was fun for like 5 minutes.

Back