• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you still use cash?

Years
  • Asking because here, cash is almost not used at all anymore. (almost) Everyone uses bank cards or credit cards. Or an app that lets you pay with your phone.
    I rarely use it myself. Pretty much always pay with my bank card in stores ^.^
    Can't remember the last time I used cash to pay lol

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I still carry about 10-15€ between cash and 5€ notes in case I need to grab something quick from a small shop that doesn't accept card for very small transactions. Otherwise, yeah, I might spend a few months before having to withdraw any more cash as I pay everything else by card or quick transfer.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I use cash and I don't even have a credit card. I've also never knew there is an app that lets you pay with your phone.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I don't feel comfortable carrying more than $100 in cash because I feel like I'll lose it somewhere. So I rarely carry it. If I end up losing my bank cards I can always go to a bank when it's open and withdraw from there. My cash will always be safe there.
    unless there's some stupid anti-fraud trigger that won't allow me to get my cash or some other reason then yes, I should keep some cash with me just in case I'M LOOKING AT YOU BANK OF AMERICA >_>

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I've not carried cash in like 18 months

Years
  • I don't use it much, but I sometimes go to swapmeets and stuff that don't really have card/digital options, so I like to keep at least a little cash on me.

Years
  • i always feel bad whenever homeless people approach me for money for the bus or food or whatever and i keep having to tell them that i don't carry cash

i mean, it's the truth! i don't lol.....hardly ever needed to.

pkmin3033

I use cash for things I buy in shops under £10 because I don't like seeing stupidly small amounts of money coming out on my bank statement. I'm not going to pay for a couple of pints of milk and maybe a lottery ticket with my card. That's only once a week at the absolute most though (rarely even that) and everything else is by card these days. Especially since I actually got a contactless one early last year (finally) which has made it a lot more convenient to use.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I use my card whenever it's possible. A lot of stores accept cash still but I prefer card as it is contactless and it's faster to just tap and go. I haven't seen a minimum amount imposed for card since quarantine started, I remember the pharmacy let me use my card on a 1 dollar mask when I had to get a new one whilst I was out which was nice. I do still have some cash in the event their machine isn't working or they only take cash but that has been rare. :D

Years
  • I am in the minority that uses cash and is not allowed to have a bank card or credit card. It's no big deal though. I get an allowance of 40 dollars a week and I have to budget it. So yeah, I use cash on 99% of stuff. I have an Amazon account though, I just obviously never use it.

I sometimes use the cash for E-shop cards for the Nintendo E-shop. I wonder if that counts as "credit cards" in a way.

Years
  • I carry a few dollar bills incase I want to buy a Red Bull before work or something. In general, I don't like using cards because it is an easy way to lose track of spending.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Before COVID I use to be mainly cash, but then the banks closed for a solid 2 months and I was forced to use card more often, I want to switch back but it is a hastle.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I use cash for things I buy in shops under £10 because I don't like seeing stupidly small amounts of money coming out on my bank statement.
    I identify heeella heavily with this… micro-transactions are difficult to keep up with on a monthly basis as-is, so anything to keep the numbers down! I don't even think about when I have cash and what I use it on, because the things $50 in bills will pay for are usually typical/day-to-day. 6.6

Years
  • When I have it, I use it because I can't be bothered to stick it in my bank account.
    However, due to COVID, certain places here aren't taking cash.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • However, due to COVID, certain places here aren't taking cash.
    And see, I just moved to Los Angeles from Alabama, where the restrictions weren't necessarily lighter (I'm from Birmingham, where the virus was very well controlled for the better part of 2020), but certainly different. It makes sense not to accept cash, but then with some places like weed dispensaries literally only accepting cash? I've had a couple of moments of cognitive dissonance trying to navigate what I should and don't have to carry on me.

Years
  • And see, I just moved to Los Angeles from Alabama, where the restrictions weren't necessarily lighter (I'm from Birmingham, where the virus was very well controlled for the better part of 2020), but certainly different. It makes sense not to accept cash, but then with some places like weed dispensaries literally only accepting cash? I've had a couple of moments of cognitive dissonance trying to navigate what I should and don't have to carry on me.

Majority in the bank, less than $50 in cash?
    I just make sure to sanitize after handling it. I don't think it should be outright banned because for the homeless, that's all they have.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    I carry cash in case if I want to quickly buy a drink from a newsagents or if a shop doesn't accept cards. Handy too if I need some change as well, but the most I carry on me is £10. Any more and I'll just withdraw money or use my card.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Majority in the bank, less than $50 in cash?
    I just make sure to sanitize after handling it. I don't think it should be outright banned because for the homeless, that's all they have.

Businesses will go above and beyond reason to mess with the homeless, its honestly really heartbreaking, they basically want them to go away and die in the woods out of sight of the business.

Back