• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does size matter to you?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    When planning your Pokémon team and/or determining what Pokémon to utilize in battle, do you ever consider their size? Do you enjoy using a team of only big Pokémon, or do you prefer Pokémon that are medium-sized or smaller than average? How about a mixture of all sizes? In addition, Pokémon size has some unique effects on gameplay as well. Pokémon that weigh a lot can inflict heavy damage using moves such as Heavy Slam and Heat Crash and Abilities such as Heavy Metal, which doubles a Pokémon's weight. Does size matter to you, or do you choose your party for other reasons than size?

Thank you for sharing!

Years
    I have never even once used size as a criteria for putting a mon on my team 😅

Type diversity is one of my main concerns when deciding to put a mon on my team or not.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Unless I'm explicitly doing a challenge run in which size matters, no, never.

(I will say though that I suppose that my teams tend to skew fully evolved and so skew bigger as a consequence, I guess)

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    being complety honestly i dont think i ever built a team based in size, a pokemon may be 6x taller than th eother and im totally fine with using it, i normally go with pokemon i think are cool and pokemon i want to give a try in using. might be an interesting challenge to keep all your pokemons the same size though lol

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Looked at size for last year's Valentine's challenge playthrough. Needed to pair Pokemon of the same height. Other than that, no.

Cared about size a little when looking for a shiny Flittle. Ate a sandwich with level 1 Humungo Power. (Happened before getting Herba Mystica.) Did that for two reasons:
    1. Spotted the shiny easier. Only affects the underside's colors. Blended in with the desert sand pretty well too.
    2. Grew tired of all the tiny Pokemon in Paldea.

Years
    • Online now
    I never thought about this. However I do take notice when I see my team is gendered all male or all female. I view my teams almost like an entourage.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    This is never something I even remotely think about. Not sure why this is a factor that would matter to anyone except if it's a challenge run based on height, or something.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Never cared in the 2D games, but I started caring a bit about it in the latest entries. I prefer Pokémon not being too huge in the 3D games because this can force weird camera placement during battles as the camera gets too far from the action, especially in games that somewhat allow camera movement like PLA and SV, it just looks looks ugly sometimes.

So I wouldn't stop using a Pokémon because it's too big, but if I have the choice I'd prefer more normal size. I avoided using Alpha Pokémon in PLA and Totem Pokémon in USUM for this reason.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Nope.

Last time I cared about size was in DPPt where the Pokédex had that weight comparison…with the player, rather than other Pokémon haha. So if you got a heavy enough one, it would just shoot Lucas / Dawn into the stratosphere!

That said, as my first generational gimmick (skipped 3DS generation) I loved SwSh's 'Pokémon, but Kaiju' - seeing a big derpy Galarian Slowpoke become a colossal derpy Galarian Slowpoke never got old for me. I loved my Alpha Petillil towering over everything in PLA too - doesn't seem as notably big now its a Lilligant though.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    To answer this question myself, size actually does matter to me somewhat. In the past, when planning my team, I used to believe that being able to train big Pokémon such as Feraligatr, Gyarados, Steelix, and so on made me look strong myself. However, that changed when I started caring more about type coverage rather than how my team looked. However, nowadays, Pokémon of the same species can be bigger than others, which has been a feature since the Pokémon Let's Go series. I prefer to breed for bigger Pokémon, to be honest. I just love having a bigger Pokémon than average. Sometimes, I do enjoy using really big Pokémon just to see how large they look on the screen. For example, I love looking at the size of Celesteela when it comes out its Pokéball and watching it tower over everything.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
    I've never really cared about a Pokemon's size at all, with the one exception to this being my current Violet playthrough where I wanted my team to match their
    nickname equivalents as closely as possible. Funnily enough, I didn't realize Violet even had visible size variation until almost the postgame. Turns out
    most of the team I played through the game with had to get replaced with more size accurate versions of themselves...
    Hurray for 10+ hours of Pokemon Breeding!... *Dies*

Years
    Size does not matter because pokemon never really did much with it. If anything, I think weight should matter more because you got items like the heavy ball, and moves like low kick, grass knot, and heavy slam.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I never pay attention to size at all. There is very little reason to and I am often shocked by how big or small certain pokemon are. While it is good for writing, kinda pointless for the games.

When size does matter, such as Totem, Titan, or Gigantamax, I always tend to hate it. I do not nor will I ever like oversized pokemon.

I never pay attention to it either and my team primarily consists of small to medium sized Pokémon - out of pure coincidence. But I think a heavier Pokémon-only run would be something I'd be interested in! To do something like that for the first time (and intimidate NPCs with my Wailord and Aggron etc). Never usually take it into consideration for normal runs though lol.

Back