• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever boxed your starter Pokemon?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • I've never boxed my starter before finishing the main story. I feel sort of sentimental attachment to my starters, I dunno haha. I generally like their designs (except Gen 5 and 6) and I try to use them all because they're generally important Pokemon.

Years
  • A few times but I don't like doing it. :( It always makes me feel super guilty when I put them away.

i'm trying to do that with my new charmander on firered... *he's level 6 now* i've never gone and done that with my other games, but i just felt like using a rattata/sandshrew for my starter.... that pokemon will probably be the new leader of my team... i don't know how i feel about it, though :( ~_~

edit: at 16:04... i think ~_~.... i boxed charmander :(
    & now i have a female rattata that i named tata
    until i can get a sandshrew to put as leader & put tata as 2nd *or maybe not... since tata's the 1st pokemon i caught, so.... *

Last edited:
    Years
  • I never have, I always am attached to them no matter what. There would also be no reason to, as they are usually the strongest in the team.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Once - I decided to do an Eevee run in HeartGold and the plan was to have 5 Eeveelutions and my starter, but then my Togepi hatched with a great combo of nature, IVs, and ability so Chikorita got boxed.

Years
    • Seen today
    I've picked Snivy in both White and White 2, and boxed it in both games after evolving it into Serperior. In White because I wanted to use Ferrothorn, and in White 2 because it was dead weight on my team there. However, I made up for it by using it in Pokemon Blaze Black 2, in which I took it to the Elite Four.

Also, I boxed Totodile once in a really old run of Pokemon Silver.

Years
  • I have only boxed my starter pokemon When i feel like making a change or if i find a pokemon That has way better stats and moveset compared to the starter

Years
  • Usually only if it's a challenge that doesn't allow my starter. And even in a few that have allowed it I've passed on it. But for the most part sometimes they don't get as much credit as I feel like they should so I usually stick with them.

Riolu

Emanation Pokémon
    Years
  • I only box my starter when I'm at least post-game and have to replace it in order to build a more competitive team.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • For gameplay, I only tried to box my Pikachu in Yellow and the cry it makes made me take it back :(

Years
  • I did once box my Swampert for a while in Ruby. It was very weird doing that, so I often do keep my starter unless if I have to train something up.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I think when I played Platinum, I ditched my starter so I could use Cherubi as my starter instead. Basically every other time, I've just picked a non-grass starter to use in addition to Cherubi.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Before the fourth gen it was a cardinal sin in my eyes to box my starter. But when the fourth gen came about I had the resources to trade teams over so I could finally use pokemon I've always wanted to use. I started making teams without the starters because I grew bored of them and the open slot made room for more pokemon I wanted to use.

Now when new games come out I'll use each starter at least once in different playthroughs, but after that I'll box them

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I've pretty much always kept my starter on my team. But after a while, I've pretty much used every starter almost 3 times each, so in my next few runs, I'll probably box my starter for pokemon I've never used before.

Cosmic Fury

[color=red][I][css-div="font-size: 12px; font-vari
    Years
  • I've only ever boxed my starter twice during a playthrough.

The first was when I was playing Platinum Version several years back, and I boxed my starter in favor of my single-Pokémon run. I used my Luxray by itself, only taking HM slaves out when absolutely necessary. Those were the only members of my team I could take out aside from that Pokémon. I eventually ran through the game entirely on just that one Pokémon.

The other was in my Sun & Moon version. I boxed my Incineroar because I didn't like it too much overall. Since I tend to stick with my favorites over each generation, I only ended up using certain Pokémon over others.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • I always box the starter pokemon because I never plan to use them on my pokemon team. This usually happens after catching the 2nd pokemon.

Yes, I am heartless, but I never liked being forced to choose 1 pokemon out of 3 anyway.

Years
  • I think unless I come across a better pokemon to use, I tend to keep my starter in my party for most if not all of the game. I know I kept my starter for Moon, for X, I think for Platinum and Black as well...

Last time I boxed a starter might have been back in my Gold version, but it would have been later in the game when I did so. Had to at least let it evolve first.

Back