• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever went through a game using only one Pokémon?

Years
Never did it but I wanted to do it for a couple of years now with a Butterfree on my VC Yellow, however I never actually went through with it at least not yet.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I've done this a lot only in HGSS because the leveling is so bad towards the end. It's honestly easier to just have one very strong Pokemon at the end of those games.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 9, 2021
I'm currently playing through Fire with only a Nidoking inspired by the old world record speed run. I wanted to see just how over leveled Nidoking would get if I played through the whole game with just him but didn't go about skipping battles at all or worry about any of the time savers the speed runners use. It's been a fun way to mix it up.

Years
I did quite a few solo runs. I remember doing Nidoqueen solo run in gen I-V. It was actually one of the first challenges I did here on PC. And I should probably also finish gen VI and VII with it.

I also remember doing Lapras, Venusaur, Kingler and Aerodactyl solo runs in Fire Red some time after that. I was also planning on beating Platinum with each Sinnoh evolutionary line before the release of the remakes, but I'm currently so burned out of Pokémon games that I probably won't do it any time soon.

Few years ago, I started doing Solo No Faint challenges, which are basically a solo runs, but each time my Pokémon dies, I have to restart the whole game. So far, I've done Rattata run in Fire Red, Purrloin run in Black 2, Sunkern in Heart Gold (including Kanto) and Delibird in Black 2. Those were one of the best and also the hardest runs I've ever done.

Years
I vaguely remember this, but in Sword, I *occasionally* used backups mainly using Scorbunny/Raboot/Cinderace. I'm eventually used Drapion as well. So it was just Drapion and Cinderace for the longest while, especially in the DLC.

With Ultra Moon, very similar situation with Popplio. Didn't evolve Popplio until AFTER the E4 tbh. I think I brought some 'mons from X to beat what's his name...Ultra Nezcroma (correct me if i'm wrong). Then I used a bunch of traded level 100 'mons with Popplio for the E4.

I know those don't count as solo runs, but Cinderace and Drapion (Sword), and Popplio (Ultra Moon) were truly the stars of those shows.

.hack

skunkape
Years
My first ever playthrough of pokemon was a "shared" Silver save file with my older brother and although we might have EXP shared the Red Gyara and the odd legendary we solo'ed the game with Typhlosion lol. I don't think I've ever actually done it since tho, I was about 5 years old at the time haha.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I think every game I played until Ruby... maybe Emerald, I had only played with a single active pokemon. If I lost, I'd restart and try again with just that pokemon until I gave up. I know I never beat the games until Crystal where I had finally beat my first pokemon game going to school one morning. Then I found out we could go to Kanto.... so yeah for the longest time, I thought we could only go to Kanto in Pokemon Crystal, because I never beat Pokemon Gold or SIlver LOL.

And I am pretty sure the pokemon I used was Typhlosion.

I know I also beat Red and I think it would have just be Typhlosion and maybe Legendary Pokemon, but I am not completely sure.

Last edited:

.hack

skunkape
Years
I am pretty sure the pokemon I used was Typhlosion.

I know I also beat Red as well and I think it would have just be Typhlosion and maybe Legendary Pokemon, but I am not completely sure. But I am not sure if it was just Typhlosion.

My run was exactly the same, kid me thought my team was great chucking Red Gyara and all the legendaries I caught onto my team, but still solo'd everything with Typhlosion lol

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
For the first two games I ever got as a kid, yep. Blaziken in Sapphire and Empoleon in Diamond. Sapphire wasn't too bad since I took about a month to figure out that I needed to use Dive to access Team Aqua's cavern before going to Sootopolis to fight the 8th gym leader. By then my Blaziken was lv. 70 something, so the E4 were easy. (especiallly because Steven was champion and not Wallace). Diamond was way harder thanks to Cynthia lol. Garchomp's Earthquake was a 2HKO, so I had to spam full restores and pray for no crits while it ran out of PP

Years
Anyone gone through the games with a single Pokémon before?

Do you remember what game(s) it was and what you used?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
Years
Like, single Pokemon in my party? Or single Pokemon that just does all the battles?

I 'solo'd' Fire Red with just my Charizard Inferno, but he wasn't the only Pokemon in my party, gotta have those HM 'indentured servants' lol.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
I have never went through any Pokémon game using a single Pokémon. To be honest, I'm not even sure if that's possible. Either way, I wouldn't do it. Pokémon battling is a team sport!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Like, single Pokemon in my party? Or single Pokemon that just does all the battles?

Pretty sure it's just solo run for battles. Otherwise it would be very restrictive or even actually impossible in some games due to HMs.

There are other exceptions that shouldn't count either, such as certain games with one or more mandatory double battles.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
When I was a kid, I went through Sapphire and maybe Emerald with only a Sceptile, Pearl with only a Torterra, and the pre-Hall of Fame part of HeartGold with only a Typhlosion.

Back