• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How useful did your starter choices end up to be?

Years
  • A lot of us decided on our starters before we even knew about their stats or movesets. Some of us didn't even know the final types, stats, or movesets of the starters we chose until we actually evolved and tested them. How useful were your starters on your team? Did you expect more from them and were they weaker than you hoped? Did you feel they were adequate members of your team? Maybe even better?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I beat the game with a Level 51 Litten; he is still a Litten to this day. Considering the circumstances, I think he fulfilled his role just fine. Not the hardest hitter in my team if I'm being perfectly honest. But that's alright with me.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I haven't gotten far yet, but Popplio is meeting expectations. Maybe even exceeding them, but not by much.

Years
  • Popplio was definitely the right choice in the end for me, because Primarina was a damn powerful Pokemon. Granted, the one I had got a +Sp. Atk nature but it makes me feel proud for staying Team Popplio since the beginning.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I have no complaints about Decidueye... he had sufficient defense and offense, which really kept the team together because he filled different roles.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Well, my chose was good, however it had the worst nature. So it wasn't really useful, I had chosen Litten. I kicked it out of my team really fast.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Incineroar definitely pulled his weight and ended up being a great team member, but I wouldn't say he was my MVP. I'd give that title to Araquanid who exceeded my expectations on so many occasions.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Primarina isn't as bulky as it seems. Late game it was regularly out sped (not a surprise) and couldn't take more than 1 hit, special or physical. Still love it, but Bewear was the one that carried my team through my intial playthrough. Have yet to use the other two.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • My Decidueye was my bread and butter back in my first playthrough. He hit hard, tanked when he needed to, and was decently fast compared to the AI's mons. I would avoid using him immediately as an act of mercy towards the opponent.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • playing through now, haven't gotten to evolve my Leonardo DiBird into a Decidueye yet, but it still kicks mons' teeth in

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • Decidueye was great. First look at the Pokemon and i knew it had potential. Yeah, about the typing.. It indeed is a good one, with the bug resistance and all, but what I can say for sure is that the grass/ghost isn't one of my favourites.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Popplio turns out to be pretty good throughout my entire run, and it started to have pretty nice coverage and became powerful as time goes on when it evolved into Primarina (a certain TM can contribute to that too), so it deserve a spot for being on my ace team, and I'm still using it today. And I might plan to raise another one while I'm at it, too!

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • Rowlet was definitely a good choice for me. I wanted Litten, but a friend of mine said that it was too easy with them, and my friend said using Popplio was too hard, or at least a bit more difficult, so I'd decide to go for normal difficulty. It was so worth it. He was a big fighter, got him evolved fully to Decidueye and he's my little cutie. I named him after my friend <3 I still used him post game. He was a good fighter.

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
  • As useful as the other Pokemon on my team, I guess?

Er... that doesn't really say much, does it? I always pick my teams based on my starter and type coverage, so my starter, Popplio now a Primarina, was never not useful. He was definitely a valuable asset to the team, though. I've had a number of moments where I desperately needed him to tank special defensively, and in the earlier parts of the game having Aqua Jet on my starter (probably not the best decision) would sometimes be my saving grace. So I guess I could say Primarina was more useful than many of my other Pokemon, but I don't really see him as any different than, say, my Lurantis, who crits when I want her to, or my Salazzle, who has never hit herself in confusion.

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Primarina wasn't the BEST member of my team but was pretty damn useful! Not useless but I kept forgetting it was part Fairy and would switch it into Steel-types (planning on using Water-type moves next turn) and it would usually be KOed. Oops.

Back