• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I never had a driving license

Years
  • Does it make me feel awful in your opinion? Sure, if I could get a license if I really want. But keep in mind that the type of car I really want would be controlled by levers and not a wheel. Because would certainly be more natural in my opinion. And if technology ever gets that far, I would certainly want to use a car that I can take with me.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Not really, I mean, some people even in my age don't have their license and would prefer to ride a bus or something. I'd say get a license and a car only if you want to, not because of what someone would think — and on your own pace too.

Years
  • I was almost up to my probationary license (was on my learners) before I got sick and now I'm back to square one and almost everyone I grew up with will have full licenses before I'm well enough to start working towards a license again.

You're far from being the only one who doesn't drive yet. Honestly I think having fewer people driving is good. It's much greener to be focused on public transport and the more people who use it the more pressure there is for governments to improve on the infrastructure.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'll never get mine. I'm disabled both mentally and emotionally... and the idea of having to drive terrifies me. Not only that, but I also get easily distracted. There's a number of reasons why I'm unable to get one for myself. ><

Years
  • I got my driver's license when I was...17? I think? I didn't have the smoothest track record as far as driving goes initially (oof - an accident or 2), but now I'm pretty good. Knock on wood. :coolcat:

Years
    • Seen today
    Many in my family don't drive. I'm finding myself disliking public transport, so I'll aim to have my actual license by at-least the end of next year.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I hate the very idea of driving. Public transport and things like Uber for the win.

And eventually self driving cars!

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • nah, i dont even have a permit currently. don't sweat it. driving terrifies the fuck out of me. i tried to drive my aunt's car once and uh. it went okay? but, i was a nervous wreck during the whole time.

needless to say i dont think ill be getting my drivers license anytime soon.

Years
  • oh man, I have such mixed feelings about driving.

on one hand, im terrified of it. i feel like my anxiety would flare up at the worst times, causing me to have a terrible accent. that's the main reason i avoid driving.

the second reason mostly has to do with financials. even if i were to have enough self-control to drive effectively, having a car is no cheap affair. the only exception is buying used and that in itself is a whole 'nother problem. id have to spend money on not only license plates and tags (they're not cheap either, iirc), there's also insurance to take into account. putting it simply, i do not make enough to justify having a car and that's the unfortunate truth of things as they stand.

unless i get a job where i make substantially more than i do currently, having a car is not even on my radar at the moment. sure, public transportation has its issues here, but I get on it for free on virtue of being a college student which is massive savings on my end when people would otherwise spend $50/mo for a 30-day bus pass. the bus schedule sucks more often than not but id take that over being in an financial craphole anyday.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I got my driving licence a month after I turned 16 but I haven't used it at all. I think it's completely fine if you don't have a driving licence yet. My sister still doesn't have one and she is 22 now - I don't think she has even taken the test to get a learners licence. I know a lot of people my age are excited to drive and I do want to learn someday but I haven't had the time to organise lessons since my parents don't have time to teach me. Plus it seems a little scary :D I am very prone to zoning out so I feel like I wouldn't be the best driver, haha.

TY

I'm 22 and I never needed a drivers license at all for all those years and even now I still don't really need one although a lot of jobs demand a drivers license these days (at least in the direction I graduated in).

Probably gonna get mine next year but idk yet I don't see myself drive outside of a video game.

Amy May

Banned
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Nov 13, 2021
    I don't have a driver's license either though i know how to drive one.

simply can't afford it... the car, insurance, paperwork stuff.. the whole deal.

lost track of how many times i set aside money to do it then something happens. ><

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    A driver's license isn't really necessary if you live in a place where everything is within walking distance and/or you live in a place where public transport is good enough that it can take you everywhere you need to go.

Unfortunately, not every place is like that, so in those cases a driver's license and car is a necessity. Which is the case for me. I much prefer public transport though.

Years
  • I got to the point in which I probably could have passed the test but soon after I decided the real world thing wasn't for me and haven't had the time since. It's a pity the UK doesn't have an agreement with China on allowing transferable licences or I'd take the test here. We have an agreement with South Korea of all countries so it's not like our standards of who we choose to have that kind of agreement with are high...

Guest123_x1

Where I live, it's just necessary to be able to drive to get to places on your own in adulthood. As for getting my license, I didn't even start drivers' ed until close to 16, and stayed on my level 1 learner's permit until well into age 17. Heck, I don't even remember if I ever got to level 3 - if I did, it wasn't until I was close to turning 18 (the graduated driver's license program in Michigan and elsewhere in the US ends upon turning 18, at which point your license, regardless of level, gets to be renewed into a license with "regular" (yet probationary) driver privileges.)

Years
  • Where I live, it's just necessary to be able to drive to get to places on your own in adulthood. As for getting my license, I didn't even start drivers' ed until close to 16, and stayed on my level 1 learner's permit until well into age 17. Heck, I don't even remember if I ever got to level 3 - if I did, it wasn't until I was close to turning 18 (the graduated driver's license program in Michigan and elsewhere in the US ends upon turning 18, at which point your license, regardless of level, gets to be renewed into a license with "regular" (yet probationary) driver privileges.)

Sounds like USA should increase the coverage of public transportation alright...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I got mine at 20 because my parents and I moved to a rural area where public transportation is null. Plus I got tired of asking my parents for a ride to school, and I was moving to San Diego at the time.

It's okay if you don't get your license at 16. Even sometimes for me that's too young to be driving anyway. There are a lot of teen drivers these days who are driving recklessly and driving while texting (had a close encounter with one recently, and she was STILL texting!!).

Years
  • I got mine at 20 because my parents and I moved to a rural area where public transportation is null. Plus I got tired of asking my parents for a ride to school, and I was moving to San Diego at the time.

It's okay if you don't get your license at 16. Even sometimes for me that's too young to be driving anyway. There are a lot of teen drivers these days who are driving recklessly and driving while texting (had a close encounter with one recently, and she was STILL texting!!).

People get licenses in USA at 16? That kinda sounds dangerous or something. At least Finland had enough common sense to demand you're at least 18 before the license is yours. At least for motor cars. However, if I were to get a car someday, I would certainly replace that wheel with levers.

Back