• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's be more than just friends...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Most people have at one point in their lives had a close friend whom they've wished could've been something more. Have you ever experienced this feeling, be it online or offline, and if you have did it change how you acted around that person? Did you ever confess your feelings or did you think it best to lock them away? Do you still have that feeling now, or have you never had this happen to you at all? Anything on the topic is interesting so pour your hearts out :)

Sirfetch’d

I have quite a few cases in real life where I wanted to have a relationship with people that I was just friends with but do to many circumstances, it was never possible. I never really changed the way I acted around them but it often got to where I had to ignore them or just stay away because the feelings were strong for me but I knew nothing would ever come of it and I didn't want to drag out a friendship that could potentially end badly.

As for online, I don't think I've ever wanted more than friends with anyone. There have been times where I've gotten super close to people, moreso than an average friendship, but I've never had romantic feelings for anyone online(yet).

Years
  • Sure I have, most people have a story or twenty like that. I always made an effort not to change my behaviour though. No point if they end up falling for a persona, right?

Fun fact, I've only ever legit dated people I was already extremely close with.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • this has happened to me with almost everyone I've fallen for with like 2 exceptions. last time it did I told her which turned into us making out in her driveway, then a couple days later she said she didn't want anything on a Boyfriend / Girlfriend level. now we don't really talk anymore. I don't know what happened. C'est La Vie

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • well i kissed and then went out with one of my really close friends and that fucked up our relationship for about a year because he was awkward about it >_> but we're back to normal now :)

i do get crushes on friends very easily? but i think it might just be a feeling of close friendship and admiration usually. i think i have a hard time drawing distinctions between feelings of romantic interest and feelings of great friendship because i- as a person with asperger's- have trouble with social stuff like that. and as an asexual person, i don't have the sexual interest pert to guide me a little more? growing up i really liked a lot of people. i thought they were crushes, but looking back- i think i just really wanted friends. it's difficult to tell, even now.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Never had a crush on a close friend. I'm too nervous or scared to even speak to a crush much less form a friendship with them.

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
  • Yeah this has happened multiple times in my life. I usually never go out of my way to tell a person how I feel unless they do it first. The thought of doing it first gives me a large amount of anxiety. ^^'

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    It's happened to me a couple of times in the past but I only acted on it once, and that just made things awkward. I still regret telling them how I felt as we were very close friends beforehand and haven't spoken since, so this is still quite a touchy issue for me haha.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Rarely but its definitely happened before. The earliest example I can think of would be my best friend from primary school. We did everything together and I thought he was really sweet and funny. I think I first realised I was in love with him when I was 7 or 8 but I remember thinking when I was really young that I'd marry him because marriage to me was being with the person you loved spending the most time with. And that was him for me so I guess that's how I ended up liking him! It's kind of cute looking back on it but as I grew older, I didn't really see him that way anymore. I never did tell him how I feel but I'm kind of glad I didn't. We've remained best friends for 10 years and I think that's definitely how I'd like it to stay.

I've also been on the other side of the coin. I've had friends ask me out before either online or in real life. I did say yes once but it was more that I really didn't want to hurt the other person's feelings or ruin our friendship. I did tell them later that I was really sorry and didn't feel the same way but I've learned from the experience. Now I just politely say no and feel awkward afterwards, agh.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • Yeah I get it a lot, tbh. Even had a crush on my friend last semester for a time and well, she was bisexual, but she had a boyfriend and still does. x: I'm probably moving soon anyway so it doesn't really matter. Also had a crush on another friend two semesters ago and we ended up having a falling out. Didn't talk to either about it, eck.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It's been a long time since I've wanted more out of an initial friendship. I'm glad it didn't work out 99.99% of the time lol

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • Yup. I'm one of those people who has to be good friends with someone first before I can have feelings for them.

So yeah, usually I'm afraid to tell cause I'm scared I might lose them as friends. Which actually never happened. In the end I told almost every time. Two times it ended up in a relationship. The other times I was glad I finally said it, it wasn't mutual, we just continued to be friends and I eventually got over it.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    It's happened to me a couple of times in the past but I only acted on it once, and that just made things awkward. I still regret telling them how I felt as we were very close friends beforehand and haven't spoken since, so this is still quite a touchy issue for me haha.

why would someone turn down ozzy? :(

Years
  • Not much experience in the dating field. But, anyone that I wanted to get closer to, I successfully did. It helped that they were (and still are) complete dorks and starting a conversation was really easy to do. But, none of them started out as a close friend. So, whoops.

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    It happened to me a couple of times. First time I was suppose to hang out with her and she stood me up and tried accusing me of being in the wrong. Needless to say that friendship no longer exists.

Second time I became friends with a coworker who was new and after a month things were looking like things would go farther, then she stopped coming to work and I never heard from her since.

Years
  • This happened to me big time six years ago and didn't get to actually date and be with the girl until a year ago and then it ended horribly. I have developed many crushes and deeper feelings for friends before and hate when it happens because every time it does the person is taken or something.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    Well... This guy had a crush on me, and eventually I gained a crush on him as well. It was unexpected, but we eventually got close. Then a month later he dumped me, so what a relationship that was. I remember I was close to this other guy, he even considered me as his brother, so I considered him as my brother as well. Same thing happens... A year later, he ends up abandoning me over a small situation. So I have no close friend, although I'll admit that it does feel good to have a close friend. It somewhat sparked happiness for me.

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    In highschool, I had many girls as close friends. Girls trusted me because I wasn't like every other guy who goes out their way to flirt, and try to get in their pants. To be honest, I didn't even know how to flirt -.- I did find some really attractive, and cute, but after hearing so much stories about the guys they like, and who they had intimacy with, I just kept my distance. some girls would eventually come out and say they had crushes on me, but we just laughed and giggled at it, and just stayed close friends. Then after highschool we all just drifted apart...I became otaku and none of them shared my interests or hobbies. I guess that's the end of that.

Online though, there was this one chick who I connected with very fast. like extremely fast. She had a boyfriend at the time, but he wasn't ever there for her, and she tells me he might be dead cause she didn't hear from him in like 3-4 months. I told her i had a crush on her, and she just friendzoned me. I was hurt a bit, but we still was friends, so I didn't stop talking to her...a month later, she said she had feelings for me, and she thought about me more than her ex everyday. we eventually ended up dating. a year and a half later from what i thought was a happy and successful relationship..she started growing very distant from me, and started hanging out, playing games, and voice chatting with other male friends she met online. After me calling her out on how I didn't like that. she left me...and now I'm just here hurt..feeling useless, and I ddon't know what I did wrong...I guess I was just always there..

I guess I was just rebound......

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
  • I've had this problem since I was in my first year of high school until now, and it's with the same person funny enough. Our friendship has been on and off but we're those kind of close friends that you don't need to talk to all the time to still be pretty close. Every time I see her whilst I'm out I get a little flustered inside, although I don't think I'd ever tell her that. She's had a few different boyfriends over the time that haven't lasted and although I think I'd be the one who could change that I can never find the right time to say something.. I always leave my decision too late to tell her and she ends up in a relationship with someone else.

At least with being close friends with her, instead of being spiteful and jealous I can be happy for her :)

Back