• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Other "Pokemon-like" monster collecting RPGs?

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
  • Okay, okay, we all play Pokemon here, but I don't see much discussion of other "pokemon-like" games in this forum. I'm kind of interested in branching out into different monster taming games at some point, and I'm curious what other people think are good games that offer similar experiences. I've heard good things about the Shin Megami Tensei, Digimon, and Dragon Quest Monsters franchises, but I don't know which games in these franchises are good and offer similar gameplay to Pokemon. I'm also interested in learning about any hidden gems in the monster collecting/battling RPG subgenre, if anyone here has experience with any of them.

Years
  • I'm enjoying Digimon Cyber Sleuth and I'm looking forward to Survive, but prior to trying Cyber Sleuth my experiences with Digimon games weren't good. I think I like that despite being in the same genre they're mechanically pretty different from Pokemon though. If I was going to play a game that was basically just Pokemon with a different name, I'd probably just play Pokemon instead.

I played Moonrise a little when it came out years back and it was fun for a couple of hours but it got dull really fast and I never went back. I think it's even not running anymore.

So yeah... most other stuff in this ballpark hasn't really attracted much attention from me. Either it's too similar to Pokemon so there's no point or its just kinda meh and there's other stuff I'd rather play. I'd definitely recommend Cyber Sleuth though if you're interested in giving Digimon a try. It's pretty damn long though.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Do you have a 3DS? There's a lot of Shin Megami Tensei games on it. SMT IV and IV Apocalypse are mainline entries and what I'd recommend for a typical experience. Strange Journey Redux and Soul Hackers are first person dungeon crawlers. Here, you recruit demons through negotiation rather than battling them like in Pokemon. Then there's my personal favourites - Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, these are strategy RPGs. Unlike the above examples, new demons are obtained through Demon Auctions. An SMT mainstay is demon fusion - need a new, stronger demon? Just fuse some of the ones in your current stock, rinse and repeat. There's also the Persona Q games, but I've never played either, so I can't tell you much other than it's Persona.
    Assuming you have a Switch, I highly recommend Nocturne HD for the atmosphere alone. It's a remaster of one of the most popular SMT games and a very good port despite its shortcomings (compressed audio and a lot of DLC). Fair warning: there's an early-game boss that will teach you to use buffs lol. SMT V is another good option for mainline games.
    Ever heard of Persona? Persona 5 Royal, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 3 Portable will be released on it as well (or at least Royal? I remember P3P and P4G also being announced). Persona is a spinoff that, while sharing demon designs, is VERY different. P3/P4/P5 have a social link (confidant in P5) system where you get to know your party members and other important characters, which in turn strengthens your Personas. They also have a calendar system spanning the year each game takes place in - I can't explain this very well since it's been ages since I played Persona, but you're able to do activities to pass the time. Personas in P4 are obtained through a shuffle time thingy at the end of each battle, while P5 has demon negotiations. Nocturne HD and Persona 5 Royal are also available on the PS4 if you have one.
    Shin Megami Tensei entries are mostly standalone - IV, IV Apocalypse and V, Overclocked and Record Breaker, Persona 3-5 can be played without knowing the other games. Expect multiple endings (usually either Law, Chaos or Neutral).
    Ooh and almost forgot, Soul Hackers 2 is coming out in a couple of days - might be worth watching the trailers to see if it's up your alley imo.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I've not a lot of experience with monster collecting games, the only ones I've played are Pokemon, the already mentioned Persona 5 (which I loved), and both Monster Hunter Stories games. But I'll throw Monster Hunter Stories 2 into the mix because why not.

I mention the second one specifically because the first one feels more like a beta test for 2 at this point, and while several characters from the first game show up and there's small references to the first game, it's not necessary to play the first in order to understand the second.

Persona 5 Royal, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 3 Portable will be released on it as well (or at least Royal? I remember P3P and P4G also being announced).
    All 3 of them are coming to the Switch, but for whatever reason not at the same time. P5R is the one that's going to release first.

Years
    • Seen today
    Dragon Quest 5 has a mechanic involving putting monsters into the party. They also learn new moves as they level up.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I'm enjoying Digimon Cyber Sleuth and I'm looking forward to Survive, but prior to trying Cyber Sleuth my experiences with Digimon games weren't good. I think I like that despite being in the same genre they're mechanically pretty different from Pokemon though. If I was going to play a game that was basically just Pokemon with a different name, I'd probably just play Pokemon instead.

I played Moonrise a little when it came out years back and it was fun for a couple of hours but it got dull really fast and I never went back. I think it's even not running anymore.

So yeah... most other stuff in this ballpark hasn't really attracted much attention from me. Either it's too similar to Pokemon so there's no point or its just kinda meh and there's other stuff I'd rather play. I'd definitely recommend Cyber Sleuth though if you're interested in giving Digimon a try. It's pretty damn long though.

Is Cyber Sleuth understandable as someone's first Digimon game? If so, I'll get it when it goes on sale.

Do you have a 3DS? There's a lot of Shin Megami Tensei games on it. SMT IV and IV Apocalypse are mainline entries and what I'd recommend for a typical experience. Strange Journey Redux and Soul Hackers are first person dungeon crawlers. Here, you recruit demons through negotiation rather than battling them like in Pokemon. Then there's my personal favourites - Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, these are strategy RPGs. Unlike the above examples, new demons are obtained through Demon Auctions. An SMT mainstay is demon fusion - need a new, stronger demon? Just fuse some of the ones in your current stock, rinse and repeat. There's also the Persona Q games, but I've never played either, so I can't tell you much other than it's Persona.
    Assuming you have a Switch, I highly recommend Nocturne HD for the atmosphere alone. It's a remaster of one of the most popular SMT games and a very good port despite its shortcomings (compressed audio and a lot of DLC). Fair warning: there's an early-game boss that will teach you to use buffs lol. SMT V is another good option for mainline games.
    Ever heard of Persona? Persona 5 Royal, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 3 Portable will be released on it as well (or at least Royal? I remember P3P and P4G also being announced). Persona is a spinoff that, while sharing demon designs, is VERY different. P3/P4/P5 have a social link (confidant in P5) system where you get to know your party members and other important characters, which in turn strengthens your Personas. They also have a calendar system spanning the year each game takes place in - I can't explain this very well since it's been ages since I played Persona, but you're able to do activities to pass the time. Personas in P4 are obtained through a shuffle time thingy at the end of each battle, while P5 has demon negotiations. Nocturne HD and Persona 5 Royal are also available on the PS4 if you have one.
    Shin Megami Tensei entries are mostly standalone - IV, IV Apocalypse and V, Overclocked and Record Breaker, Persona 3-5 can be played without knowing the other games. Expect multiple endings (usually either Law, Chaos or Neutral).
    Ooh and almost forgot, Soul Hackers 2 is coming out in a couple of days - might be worth watching the trailers to see if it's up your alley imo.

I have a 3DS, but not a PS4. (That being said, feel free to talk about PS exclusives, since other people looking for these games might want to hear about them too.)

SMT has a lot of very different games, and it was the franchise I'm most interested in trying, but I was very confused about all the spinoffs and stuff. I do think a strategy-RPG Pokemon-like sounds really interesting, so I'm thinking of pick up Devil Survivor Overclocked for my first SMT game, if that's a good starting point? Unless it has mandatory Permadeath like the early Fire Emblem games, which I really, really don't like, then I'll probably go with IV.

I've heard of Persona, but time/calendar management is a feature I find very stressful in games, so I'm probably going to avoid it. (Doesn't help that their PC releases use Denuvo, which I boycott by necessity because I don't have 100% reliable internet for the online requirements.)

I've not a lot of experience with monster collecting games, the only ones I've played are Pokemon, the already mentioned Persona 5 (which I loved), and both Monster Hunter Stories games. But I'll throw Monster Hunter Stories 2 into the mix because why not.

I mention the second one specifically because the first one feels more like a beta test for 2 at this point, and while several characters from the first game show up and there's small references to the first game, it's not necessary to play the first in order to understand the second.

All 3 of them are coming to the Switch, but for whatever reason not at the same time. P5R is the one that's going to release first.

I don't own a Switch, but as mentioned before, I do own a 3DS, so I'll think about Monster Hunter: Stories. And the second game is on PC and removed Denuvo recently! Though it is expensive. Again, I think I'll wait for a sale.

Dragon Quest 5 has a mechanic involving putting monsters into the party. They also learn new moves as they level up.

Already played it, but I didn't really focus on monster characters. I'll keep it in mind for replays later, though.

Years
  • There is Nexomon and Coromon, both being pretty fun monster taming rpg's. Both series is below $20 individually. Nexomon Collection with both games would set you back $30.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    SMT has a lot of very different games, and it was the franchise I'm most interested in trying, but I was very confused about all the spinoffs and stuff. I do think a strategy-RPG Pokemon-like sounds really interesting, so I'm thinking of pick up Devil Survivor Overclocked for my first SMT game, if that's a good starting point? Unless it has mandatory Permadeath like the early Fire Emblem games, which I really, really don't like, then I'll probably go with IV.
    There's no permadeath like in Fire Emblem, the closest would be a couple of characters in both games who could potentially die based on your actions. It's perfectly possible to save them. That said, Overclocked is a fantastic starting point imo.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Are digimon games are better than Pokemon games in general?

I swear cyber sleuth is better than all Pokemon games. From I what read on reddit and on YouTube the comments says "this is than Pokemon sword and shield."
    Any thoughts on cyber sleuth?
    Yeah I have accepted that Digimon is better than pokemon as a fan of pokemon because in the death battle agumon line kill
    Charizard and also red kill by Tai too.
    Digimons fans made me upset because I wasn't
    Accepting truth anyways.
    Btw I never played cyber sleuth or Pokemon after gen 5.
    Okay just because is some digimon are stronger
    Than most Pokemon doesn't mean it's better?
    Maybe I need to swallow the huge digimon pill,
    Because Pokemon has been repetitive since a
    Quarter century ago and digimon fans are rising
    After Pokemon has become bad.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    I swear cyber sleuth is better than all Pokemon games. From I what read on reddit and on YouTube the comments says "this is than Pokemon sword and shield."
    Any thoughts on cyber sleuth?
    Yeah I have accepted that Digimon is better than pokemon as a fan of pokemon because in the death battle agumon line kill
    Charizard and also red kill by Tai too.
    Digimons fans made me upset because I wasn't
    Accepting truth anyways.
    Btw I never played cyber sleuth or Pokemon after gen 5.
    Okay just because is some digimon are stronger
    Than most Pokemon doesn't mean it's better?
    Maybe I need to swallow the huge digimon pill,
    Because Pokemon has been repetitive since a
    Quarter century ago and digimon fans are rising
    After Pokemon has become bad.

Moved this over to Video Games (specifically, the Other "Pokemon-like" monster collecting RPGs? thread). Already talked a bit about Cyber Sleuth in here.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • Magi Nation for the GBC is actually surprisingly good if anyone wants a Pokemon clone that doesn't feel like it's just copying Pokemon, it has good graphics as well as music and the battle mechanics are based on a card game so they feel different enough from Pokemon while still letting you collect and battle with monsters you collect. I'd just play it on an emulator because the game really benefits from speed ups and save states (saving in that game is extremely unfair and there's a lot of long sections).

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Digimon is extremely underrated. I know it's already been suggested in this thread but I'm suggesting it again. Cyber Sleuth games were probably the best Digimon games I've played in a very long time... possibly ever. One of the games even one my personal GOTY back in 2019 I believe it was. Don't let the fact that there isn't an english dub VA voice cast effect your decision to buy the game. I haven't played Survive yet so it might not be as good but the video game franchise as a whole is extremely underrated as a whole and, in some ways IMO, it's better than Pokemon. Has more darker themes most of the time.

It would be more successful if it was in the hands of a publisher who actually treated it right. But it's not.

Years
  • I'm disappointed noone mentioned this one, but I highly and acutely recommend Azure Dreams on the PS1.
    Azure Dream is, somewhat, like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon with a core difference that the player battles alongside their team of Monster's. The premise of the game is that there's a tower in the dirt town you live in and youth reaching the age approaching Adulthood would have the right to enter the tower.

The reason why to enter the tower is it's a multi-dimensional building as inside it is a literal monster's nest, the dirt town earns it's living by stealing monster eggs from the tower and training the creature's by having them fight other monster's or selling the eggs themselves in whole to other rich families or other hunters to have a creature to work with as well.

And you can, of course, fight alongside your monster's as you can pick up a sword, shield and orbs containing magic to help your team fend off other monster's and survive within the tower. Looking at it like this, you can kinda say Pokemon training is kinda like enslaving living creature's to fight bigger things than them while in this one, both the creatures in your charge and the trainer are putting their lives on the line to fight for survival.

They have a gameboy color version, but I recommend the PS1 version as there are more traps with far interesting effects, the town is easier to navigate than the one on a small GBC screen, 3D graphics and the ability to tell you live in a solid gold house once you UPGRADE to it.... Yes, you can upgrade your dwelling or home into a Solid Gold House to p*$$ off your rich rival, there is a dating system in place with girls you can date and while you can't marry them, you can be more involved with them as they too affect the small town; For a monster collector and rogue dungeon generating game, they added plenty to do in it.

If you attempt this your first go, my tip to the starting player is be aware of what you carry, because based on what you carry into the tower determines what the RNG will spawn more of; this is helpful if you need to stock up WIND Crystals which are needed to escape the tower with all of the loot needed to sell off and improve you ability to climb higher.

Years
  • Dragon Warrior Monsters!!!! You'll recognise a lot of beasties from the Dragon Quest series, but this game focuses a bit more on the breeding side of things, as a lot of the rarer monsters are obtained through certain monster combinations.

Years
  • Rune Factory kind of falls into this? It's more about farming and fighting but you can raise and battle with monsters while also getting animal products from them like milk and wool.

Years
  • Rune Factory kind of falls into this? It's more about farming and fighting but you can raise and battle with monsters while also getting animal products from them like milk and wool.

I agree with this. This is actually more prominent in Rune Factory 3 where your part monster and part human! Even the story make's better sense!

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Everyone, listen up. This is important.

You might have seen today that the demo for a new monster catching game, LumenTale: Memories of Trey, has been released. This game is made by Beehive Studios, which, under the alias of WeedleTeam, also made Pokémon Xenoverse, my favourite Pokémon fan game. (In a way, this new game is sort of a spiritual sequel to Xenoverse without the Pokémon branding, because the protagonist, Trey, might be the same Trey who acted as a rival to the player in the aforementioned fan game.) The game was put up on Kickstarter a few weeks ago, and it reached its goal and went above it - all of this with 10 days to go until their fundraising campaign ends.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to test the demo. The first time I ran it, it closed without so much trying to run. I opened it again, and it worked, even if it was (as I found out later through watching others play the game on YouTube) running at a slower speed than usual. Five minutes in, my laptop just... shut down, and it has not been able to boot since; the light on the charger even flickers, suggesting a voltage issue. It was an old laptop, but it had been functioning well prior to running the game, and more than fulfilled all the requirements for running it (64-bit, Intel i5, 8GB RAM.) I have heard that a patch was released to fix some issues with the game, but by then, it was too late for me and I have no way of testing whether the issues reported had any relation to mine.

I know that correlation does not imply causation, and I thought it an unfortunate coincidence at first. However, I did have a previous sour experience with another one of the company's games - the infamous mobile game Donarush. A year ago, when I had just gotten into Xenoverse, I gave it a try because it featured some of the Fakemon from that fan game. Again, 5 minutes into my playthrough, my phone slowed down to a halt and began to heat up. Thankfully, closing the game solved the problem. At my own risk, I tried playing again later to check if it was an external problem, but no, the game itself was causing these issues - on a new (8 months of actual use), capable phone. I promptly uninstalled the game and left a review on Google Play asking for the developers to fix the game's optimization issues. To this day, they have not been fixed, and I haven't even gotten a response from the developers. Due to this experience, therefore, it's not hard for me to believe that LumenTale might have bricked my computer due to its poor optimization, or at the very least exacerbated an existing issue to its breaking point. If it hadn't been for my previous experience trying out Donarush, I would have perhaps have let my problems with LumenTale slide and let bygones be bygones.

Speaking of Donarush, I called the game "infamous" because its release also stirred up a controversy and highlighted Beehive Studios's... questionable practices. A few months after said game released, Élite4, the group of artists that were involved in the making of Xenoverse and this game, cut ties with WeedleTeam and Beehive Studios due to not receiving compensation for the use of their Fakemon designs in Donarush. As Élite4's statement puts it, it's true that the artists did not profit from the work they did on Xenoverse (as they should). However, Donarush is a monetized game with microtransactions and does not bear the Pokémon brand; these facts should entitle Élite4 to some kind of royalties for the use of their hard-worked-on designs, and yet they didn't get said royalties. I would have likely not played or kept supporting Xenoverse if it hadn't been for their amazing artwork, so to learn that they hadn't been appropriately paid for their involvement in an external project left me baffled. If the issue has not been settled yet, Beehive Studios/WeedleTeam needs to remedy that, at least to show their backers for LumenTale that they do plan on compensating the game's artists for their work.

These issues (and other more personal ones) with the game prompted me to write this warning: if you are going to support LumenTale, do so at your own risk. I provided a first-hand account of what happened to me alone, but in the end, it's your call. I know that after this, I will not support Beehive Studios/WeedleTeam's games beyond Xenoverse (which I keep supporting mainly due to Élite4's involvement, as said above.) The issues are too many for me to keep doing so, and I have a feeling I'm only just starting to scratch the surface. If you've stuck with me this far, I invite you to share your experiences as well, and I thank you sincerely for reading. This has not been easy to write due to my deep love towards Xenoverse, but I feel that other people have a right know the risks of supporting this company's original works.

Last edited:

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • These issues (and other more personal ones) with the game prompted me to write this warning: if you are going to support LumenTale, do so at your own risk. I provided a first-hand account of what happened to me alone, but in the end, it's your call. I know that after this, I will not support Beehive Studios/WeedleTeam's games beyond Xenoverse (which I keep supporting mainly due to Élite4's involvement, as said above.) The issues are too many for me to keep doing so, and I have a feeling I'm only just starting to scratch the surface. If you've stuck with me this far, I invite you to share your experiences as well, and I thank you sincerely for reading. This has not been easy to write due to my deep love towards Xenoverse, but I feel that other people have a right know the risks of supporting this company's original works.

As someone that is quite keen on Lumentale and has been hyping it up this is disappointing to hear. Thanks for writing the post. I'll keep an eye on it as development continues.

Back