• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rank each region based on starter Pokémon

Years
  • Rank each region based on starters!

My rank:

1) Johto
    2) Kanto
    3) Unova
    4) Alola
    5) Kalos
    6) Galar
    7) Hoenn
    8) Sinnoh

I'm leaving Paldea out for now since I haven't seen the evolutions yet, but would be tempted to put it at 2 or 3 just because Sprigatito exists. :D

Years
    • Seen today
    1. Sinnoh
    Afaik considered one of the most, if not the most, balanced and solid starter trios, with the three ranking fairly well instead of one of them overshadowing the others. I like their designs, they all have something interesting to offer and feel unique and fun to play with, it's one of the few gens that really made me feel that all the starters were amazing choices.

2. Johto
    I find charm in their old school purity, in both design and concept. So whaddya want your starter to have? Megas? Gigantamax? fancy signature moves? awesome dual typings? super broken HAs that dominate the competitive? insert new gen gimmick?... well, look somewhere else because these Johto bois got none of that, they're the most basic and unpretentious starters ever, and I hope that doesn't change because, ironically, that makes them special for me.
    Main problem here was the balance. Johto is unfairly rigged against Chikorita.

3. Unova
    I came to appreciate Gen 5 starters more as time went by. Initially, I had no interest in Emboar for being the third consecutive Fire/Fighting starter, and I found Serperior's move pool super boring in my original Black playthrough.
    Now I think it's a pretty cool and well balanced starter trio, even if they clearly aren't going to win a popularity contest anytime soon.

4. Alola
    Could be 3 if it wasn't for Incineroar. The whole Rowlet line is one of my all-time favorite starters, and I also like Primarina.

5. Hoenn
    Solid and well made starters all around, but poorly balanced as a whole, Mudkip was basically easy mode here. I like Sceptile, and I'm fine with Swampert, but never liked Blaziken's design. Also they got Megas, and I'm against giving starters Megas so thumbs down for that.

6. Kanto
    So much fan-service, gimmicks, and overexposure ruined them for me. My esteem for Bulbasaur keeps this from ranking lower, would be last spot if it was for the not a dragon.

7. Kalos
    Favoritism, the generation. Feels like for most people this gen is basically Greninja's anime.
    Also known as the gen that gave Gen 1 starters more protagonism than its own starters...
    I actually liked Delphox, and I haven't tried Chesnaught yet, but I definitely don't think this gen is a good example on how to handle starters.

8. Galar
    A bit sorry for Rillaboom, but I just can't take the other two. I don't like starters being so literal human characters/stereotypes disguised in a random animal Pokémon skin.

Years
  • Hmmm... most starter trios have at least one stage I dislike... which makes this kinda hard for me tbh.

1) Hoenn - Really solid starter lines all around.
    2) Kalos - Mainly thanks to Delphox's entire line. Indifferent on Chesnaught and I'm not that fond of Greninja, but it's previous stages are good. Quilladin is the only one I dislike here.
    3) Johto - only stage I dislike is Croconaw.
    4) Unova - Nice first stages. Awkward middle stages. Serperior and Emboar are great, but Samurott is just bland.
    5) Sinnoh - I don't like the fire starter line. Indifferent on both other lines' middle stages.
    6) Kanto - Pretty much solely Charizard's fault at this point.
    7) Galar - The base stages are fine. Idc about any of the middle stages and the only final stage I like is Rillaboom. Idc either way about Cinderace and Inteleon creeps me out.
    8) Alola - Brionne needs a redesign. Incineroar needs to get yeeted out of the Dex.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    1. Kanto: Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander. Fairly good all the way through. Did not care for Charmeleon.

2. Alola: Popplio, Rowlet, and Litten. Bungled it on one form for all three. Pulled it up with how good the good designs were.

3. Johto: Cyndaquil, Totodile, and Chikorita. Good early forms, but less stellar final evolutions.

4. Unova: Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott. Edged out Sinnoh by a hair in a head-to-head matchup.

5. Sinnoh: Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup. Good for two of three. Preferred Piplup over Oshawott in the above decision.

6. Kalos: Froakie, Chespin, and Fennekin. Not bad, but not great either.

7. Galar: Sobble, Scorbunny, and Grookey. Only really liked Scorbunny's line. Dislikes Drizzile the most out of all the Water starter evolutions here (even Brionne and Croconaw). Sticks Grookey in a similar position for Grass (competing with the butler owl).

8. Hoenn: Mudkip, Treecko, and Torchic. Did not care for pretty much all of these. Feels a bit bad for Treecko. Was alright, but only just that.

Years
  • Oof toughy, as far as judging all three and ignoring my bias

1. Alola
    2-7. Johto, hoenn, sinnoh, unova, kalos, galar, maybe paldea depending on what final evolutions look like
    8. Kanto

I love all of alolas starters, whilst kanto only has squirtle that i REALLY like. Every other region is a case of "two starters are fine but i dont like one of them"

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    1. Sinnoh. Probably the most consistent set of starters so far. I joke a lot about not liking fart monkey (and I kinda don't tbh) but it's still a nice Pokémon on its own.

2. Alola. I like the Rowlet and Popplio lines a lot, might be my favorite starters in general. Incineroar was a let down but once u get used to it, it's not that bad.

3. Hoenn. Another really consistent set of starters. Could go above Alola, except I don't really like Sceptile much.

4. Kalos. Honestly the only one I think has consistently good designs here is Fennekin. Froakie and Frogadier are okay, but I don't like Greninja, while Quilladin and Chesnaught are okay (yes, I said that), while Chespin looks like a kid with a hat.

5. Unova. The Pokémon here are consistent...ly average.

6. Kanto. I honestly like the Pokémon here more than Unova starters, however there's the whole overusing issue which plays a lot against this set of starters. I don't want to see them anymore, fr.

7. Johto. Probably the cutest first stages after Paldea's, but outside Meganium and Croconaw everything else is boring. Not even average, just... boring.

8. Galar. The only set of starters in which they get progressively uglier as they evolve.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • After noticing your thread, I felt the need to answer the question with a lot of detail. This post will definitely be a very long one, but if anybody is interested in learning how each of the fully-evolved starters work in battle, then it is definitely worth the read. Here is how I rank them from best to worst, all in order:

1. Kanto
    Venusaur – Amazing sweeper in Harsh Sunlight, as it has the ability to learn Weather Ball, which becomes an extremely powerful Fire-type coverage move, and amazing ability in Chlorophyll, which doubles its speed in Harsh Sunlight. Its STAB Sludge Bomb is great for taking care of other Grass-types and Fairy-types and it can use Solar Beam, a very powerful special Grass-type attack in the Sun without charging. Served as a great staller in generation VI after obtaining a Mega Evolution with the ability Thick Fat. Great in Singles and Doubles on Sun teams. I love Venusaur and use it on my main VCG Doubles team with Groudon.

Charizard – Became even better in the Sun because of its hidden ability Solar Power, which boosts its Special Attack in the Sun at the cost of a bit of chip damage each turn. Dominated generation VI single-handedly because of the two powerful Mega Evolutions it received, and in generation VIII, it became a great Dynamax sweeper with the ability to boost it's own speed and the speed of its allies with Max Airstream, causes chip damage with its Gigantamax signature move, and can employ powerful Grass-type coverage against Water-types that threaten it. As a result, Charizard is great in Singles and Doubles.

Blastoise – Great bulky Shell Smash sweeper, which lowers its defenses in favor of more attack power and speed. Served as a great wallbreaker in generation VI after obtaining a Mega Evolution, making it stronger and giving it the ability Mega Launcher, which boosted several "blast" moves it could learn. In generation VIII, the addition of Dynamax makes Blastoise bulkier after Shell Smash and thus more dangerous, as it can hit very hard, faster, and becomes difficult to take down. Its signature Gigantamax move also does chip damage for four turns. Also serves as a good Rapid Spinner. In Doubles, Blastoise is also a good for Follow Me support.

All and all, because the Kanto starters are the originals, they receive a lot of support from the developers, which, in turn, made them the best starters over time because they dominate every format in most generations where they have received support.

2. Galar
    Cinderace – One of the best starters even because of its high Attack and Speed stats, making it a great sweeper, as well as its hidden ability, Libero, which changes its type based on whatever move it uses, ensuring that it always hits with STAB. When it Gigantamaxes, its signature G-Max move ignores other Pokémon's abilities, making it dangerous. As a result, Cinderace is broken and is a mainstay in Singles. Even in Doubles, Cinderace finds its niche with its signature move Court Change, which switches field effects that benefit the opponent such as, for example, Light Screen, Reflect, etc. to your side of the field instead, which is good, as these effects are often abused in Doubles.

Rillaboom – Hidden ability Grassy Surge is great for automatically setting up Grassy Terrain upon switch in, boosting its Grass-type moves and helping its allies. Also learns Grassy Glide, a Grass-type move that has priority in Grassy Terrain, which gets more powerful when Rillaboom uses it because of STAB and the effects of Grassy Terrain, making Rillaboom hit first and extremely hard. Serves as an excellent wallbreaker. Also learns a ton of coverage moves. Because of this, Rillaboom is great in Singles and Doubles.

Inteleon – Might not enjoy the same level of use as its other starter brethren, but is still a good Pokémon. With its ability to learn Snipe Shot, which has an increased critical hit ratio, hidden ability Sniper, which greatly increases the damage done by critical hits, and Focus Energy, which increases the probability of landing a critical hit, when equipped with a Razor Claw or Scope Lens, which increases critical hit ratio even further, Inteleon could land critical hits 100% of the time to deal massive damage, making it extremely dangerous. Considering that critical hits ignore a Pokémon's stat changes, Inteleon could be powerful enough to KO practically any Pokémon that doesn't outright resist it. In addition, with Inteleon's extremely high Special Attack and Speed stats, along with a vast movepool that gives it a lot of coverage, Inteleon is naturally a good special sweeper and is even stronger in the Rain. However, its really bad defensive stats make it sort of risky to use if it doesn't KO everything it attacks.

I ranked them as a very close second because they can do well in battle without needing a bunch of support from the developers. However, they aren't number one because the Kanto starters often find themselves in high positions in the meta because of their support compared to the Galar starters, such as World Championship level competition, and can do more consistent damage offensively.

3. Hoenn
    Blaziken – One of the greatest Pokémon of all time. Blaziken is amazing in the fact that it has high attack, allowing it to hit hard, and despite having average speed stats, its ability Speed Boost boosts its Speed every turn, which makes it a dangerous physical sweeper. It can also be used in many different ways, such as a powerful physical attacker with Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick, or as an effective physical Baton Passer with Swords Dance and its Speed Boosts. It can also be used as a Reversal sweeper after using Swords Dance and surviving a potential KO with a Focus Sash, which does much more damage the less HP it has. It also got a Mega Evolution in generation VI, which made it even stronger. This makes Blaziken one of the most broken Pokémon and it's one of my all-time favorites. Torchic is also, in my opinion, the cutest Pokémon of all time and I always keep a Blaziken on my team.

Swampert – Great bulky physical attacker with a great defensive type combination in Water/Ground. Defensively, the only thing it really needs to worry about is Grass-types. Could also be used as a good entry hazard setter because of its bulk. Swampert can also learn several utility moves to get players an edge in battle. It got even stronger when it got a Mega Evolution in generation IV, where its physical attack got even stronger and gained the ability Swift Swim, which made it an absolute monster physical sweeper in the Rain.

Sceptile – A Pokémon that should be good, as it has good stats, but suffers from unsymmetrical offensive statistics. Has many good physically attacking moves for STAB and type coverage, and even learns its signature move Leaf Blade, but has only an average Attack stat. It does, however, have a good Special Attack stat and very good Speed, but it's not the best special sweeper because it doesn't really learn the best special attacking moves. It did, however, get much better in generation IV when it received a Mega Evolution, making it even stronger and faster, and thus a better special sweeper. Its ability that it obtained after Mega Evolving, Lightning Rod, also made it great for switching in to Electric-type attacks or preventing its partner from being hit by such attacks in Doubles, but still, better options exist for this role without having to waste a Mega Evolution. Sceptile isn't bad, but it can definitely be much better should it get a larger special movepool.

I ranked the Hoenn starters as 3rd because Blaziken really was a huge game changer back in its day and Swampert was a feared Rain sweeper after Mega Evolving. Sceptile wasn't that great, but did get a little better with Mega Evolution and served a niche role as a negator of Electric-type attacks.

4. Kalos
    Greninja – One of the greatest Pokémon of all-time in my opinion. Absolute monster in the generation VI games because of its ability Protean, which allows it to change its type based on the attack it uses, which makes it always hit with STAB. It is very fast and hits hard, making it a great special sweeper, but can also be used as a good physical sweeper as well. It's very unpredictable. Also has another version of itself, Ash-Greninja, which is just as strong as a major legendary Pokémon, which makes Greninja arguably one of the greatest starter Pokémon of all time. I always pick Froakie for my generation VI games and always use Greninja in whatever game I can. Amazing Pokémon.

Chesnaught – Great bulky physical attacker that can protect itself with its signature move Spiky Shield, which can damage Pokémon that make contact with it, set entry hazards such as Spikes, recover with Synthesis, attack with STAB with Drain Punch to gain health while doing damage, and learn Wood Hammer, a very strong STAB Grass-type attack with 120 power. It also learns a lot of physical moves that give it great coverage, something that Grass-type starters tend to lack. Personally, I never got the chance to ever use Chesnaught, but I hope it returns to the newer games so I can finally get that chance.

Delphox – Great fast and specially bulky special sweeper with a good and unique typing of Fire/Psychic. Learns good coverage moves and could boost its Special Attack with Calm Mind and make it even bulkier. You can pull shenanigans with it using Trick. Other than that, it's just a pretty straightforward special sweeper and is good at its role. I bred the Fenniken I received from Shuana in Pokémon Y and transferred it to Ultra Sun to have one in that game and it didn't disappoint at all.

Fun fact: The most interesting aspect of the Kalos starters that I believe many players overlook is that, when fully-evolved, the Kalos starters are thus far the first and only starters to have a double core in their typings. By "core," I am referring to the "rock-paper-scissors" aspect of a set of three typings. For example, the most well-known core is Water, Fire, and Grass, which all resist and hit each other super-effectively in a way akin to rock-paper-scissors. The same exact thing can be done for Dark, Fighting, and Psychic as well, which the fully-evolved starters each have as a secondary type. This means that if you can get each Kalos starter on the same Singles team, then you potentially have a strong team on your hands with a lot of type coverage, both offensively and defensively.

They are fourth on my list because despite Greninja completely overshadowing the rest of them, the rest are actually good Pokémon in their own right. Greninja was a huge game changer, but while the other two are good at what they do, they just did their roles basically without being game changers.

5. Sinnoh
    Infernape – Great physical sweeper that can do a lot of damage with its Iron Fist ability, high Attack stat, high Speed, and several punch moves that gives its attacks a boost in power and provide it with extra coverage. It also works even better with an Expert Belt, which boosts the power of its super-effective attacks. I raised one of these in Pokémon Ultra Sun by transferring it from the older games. It's defenses, however, are quite poor, meaning that it is unlikely to take a hit, meaning that it must sweep to be effective.

Empoleon – Great bulky special attacker with a good and unique typing in Water/Steel, giving it a lot of resistances and ability to hit really hard in the Rain. Also has the potential to be good for utility such as by using Defog and Stealth Rock. Piplup was always my choice when playing the generation IV games and Pokémon Brilliant Diamond because I love Empoleon.

Torterra – Good bulky physical attacker that is slow enough to be good on Trick Room teams. Hits hard with STAB moves such as Earthquake and Wood Hammer, and also has good recovery with the move Synthesis. Because of its bulk, it can also be used as a good Stealth Rock setter.

In conclusion, while the Sinnoh starters are not bad by any means, they are 5th on the list as a set because none of them stand out in any meaningful way. They just simply perform their roles well without actually being game changers.

6. Alola
    Incineroar – Bulky physical attacker that is a rather broken Pokémon in Doubles because of its ability Intimidate, which decreases the Attack stat of all the opponent's Pokémon on their side of the field, and has great support moves, which makes it a great teammate with any Pokémon. Learns Parting Shot, which lowers its target's Attack and Special Attack right before switching out, which is a great pivot move. It's signature move, Darkest Lariat, inflicts damage while ignoring the opponent's stat changes as well. This makes Incineroar the most used Pokémon in competitive World Championship teams. However, it's not really that special in Singles, but can be used effectively on Trick Room teams. I have an Incineroar on my main VCG Doubles team and it never disappoints. I hope it returns for generation IX.

Primarina – Bulky special attacker that has the potential to get even bulkier and stronger with Calm Mind. Substitute makes it even harder to deal with one on one. It can also be used as a good special wallbreaker too. Dynamaxing in generation VIII makes it even bulkier and harder to deal with too. It's a good Pokémon for Singles, but not really for Doubles based on my experience.

Decidueye – Not as popular as Incineroar or even Primarina in competitive battles, Decidueye is nonetheless great for in-game playthroughs. Decidueye is too slow to be used as a sweeper, too fast to be used in Trick Room, and doesn't hit hard enough to do serious damage to be an effective wallbreaker without boosting. Yet, when it does boost, it can be a decent wallbreaker in generation VIII with the move Poltergeist. However, what prevents it from being worse than Samurott is that Decidueye can be used as a good Pokémon to prevent switching with its signature move Spirit Shackle. Also, during an in-game playthrough, Decidueye is a great Pokémon because of its ability to land critical hits with Leaf Blade, with stacks with the effects of holding a Razor Claw/Scope Lens, and max affection/friendship feature. I love Decidueye, picked Rowlet for my Ultra Sun playthrough, and hatched a shiny Rowlet in Pokémon Sword.

Because Incineroar is great in doubles, Primarina is good in Singles, and Decidueye is good for in-game playthroughs, the Alola starters are solid in their roles. However, they are rather low on the list because, with the exception of Incineroar, the other starters are not really game changers.

7. Unova
    Serperior – Despite looking lackluster because of its mediocre stats except for its high speed stat, it's actually one of the best special sweepers in the game. It's hidden ability Contrary allows it to sharply boost its Special Attack stat instead of lowering after each use after using Leaf Storm, making Serperior extremely deadly. Has decent coverage with Dragon Pulse and Hidden Power Fire, which of course hit much harder after boosting with Leaf Storm. Is broken in both Doubles and Singles. Snivy is always my choice when playing any Unova game and Serperior is one of my all-time favorite Pokémon.

Emboar – Poorly bulky physical attacker that can do more damage with recoil moves because of its hidden ability Reckless. It naturally learns Flare Blitz, which is extremely powerful, and can make good use of Wild Charge for Electric-type coverage. However, Emboar does not really excel at much else and is outclassed by other starter Pokémon of the exact same type, such as Infernape and especially Blaziken. Emboar's weak defenses practically negate its high HP, making its bulk rather frail.

Samurott – The only thing that it really has going for it is that it can be used as a special attacker or a physical attacker effectively. The problem with Samurott is that if you look up the definition of "painfully average," you'd see its picture. It's too slow to be a sweeper, but too fast to be effective in Trick Room. It doesn't hit hard enough, physically or specially, to be a wallbreaker unless it boosts with Swords Dance, and its ability Shell Armor, which prevents it from being hit by critical hits, is simply just useless. It is outclassed by several other Water-types that can do what Samurott can do and more. It might just be the second-worst starter of all time.

The Unova starters are low on my list because, despite Serperior being a great Pokémon, Emboar is outclassed by two other starter Pokémon of the same type and Samurott doesn't stand out in any form or fashion, nor does it really perform an effective role that many other Pokémon can't.

8. Johto
    Feraligatr – Great physical sweeper and heavy hitter with its Sheer Force hidden ability equipped with a Life Orb. Has the ability to boost its speed and attack stats with Dragon Dance to become a good sweeper and learns lot of physical coverage moves such as Crunch, and Ice Punch to take down Pokémon of various types with a lot of power. Is really good in Singles, but pretty useless in Doubles, as much better water options exist in Doubles. Still, I love Feraligatr as one of my all-time favorite starters.

Typholsion – Good special sweeper with access to a very powerful Fire-type move in Eruption, as well as a good ability in Flash Fire that allows it to switch into Fire-type attacks, completely negate them, and increase the power of its own Fire attacks. Other than that, despite being a better special attacker than physical, nothing much about it stands out and much better Fire-types exist that can do things much better than it can.

Meganium – Defensive Pokémon with the ability to stall by using moves such as Toxic, Protect, and Giga Drain, and recovering health with Synthesis. Other than that, Meganium just isn't good at all and can't really be used effectively in any other role. Much better options exist for stall as well due to Grass-type not being good defensively in general because of its weaknesses. I hate to say it, but Meganium just might be the worst starter of all time. One thing it does have going for it is that it's still rather cute despite being fully evolved.

Fun fact: The final evolutions of the Johto starters all have the same stat lines as the Kanto starters, with a few having some minor differences. Meganium and Venusaur have the same stats, but have their defensive and offensive stats swapped. Feraligatr and Blastoise have the same stats as well, but also have their defensive and offensive stats swapped. Typholsion and Charizard, on the other hand, literally have the exact same stats entirely.

With that being said, the Johto starters, as a set, are easily the worst starters, but Feraligatr is really good and is one of my favorites. It's a shame that it has to be placed within such mediocre company. If Typholsion simply could do more than Eruption, negate Fire-type attacks, and had better coverage moves, and if Meganium wasn't a defensive version of Venasaur without any of Venasaur's strong suits that make it good, then the Johto starters would have been higher on my list.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    1: Hoenn - All starters here are great.
    2: Kanto - I like all starters here, although Charizard getting special treatment over Venusaur and Blastoise doesn't sit well with me.
    3: Sinnoh - Infernape and Empoleon are awesome, and Torterra is alright.
    4: Kalos - Greninja is one of my favourite starter Pokemon of all time. Chesnaught and Delphox are cool too.
    5: Johto - The generation that blessed us with Feraligatr. Meganium and Typhlosion are also good.
    6: Galar - I love Inteleon, like Cinderace a lot, and Rillaboom is alright.
    7: Alola - Incineroar is one of my favourite Pokemon ever, and I like Decidueye a lot too. Primarina is alright, but I can't stand its prevos.
    8: Unova - All starters here are disappointing in some way. Serperior suffers from low attacking stats and a barren movepool, but Contrary makes it amazing. Oshawott starts off with a disappointing design, when it evolves its design improves, but then Samurott goes quadrupedal. And Emboar shouldn't have been Fire/Fighting.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    1. Hoenn - All of them are Perfection, but Blaziken is my favorite Starter, and second favorite Pokemon of all time. Sceptile is amazing, Swampert is Awesome, and Blaziken is Perfect!
    2. Alola - All are good starters, but I have some attachment to Inceneroar being my first Starter ever (of course I traded it for a Tapu Bulu when I was a dumb kid, THE TAPU BULU WAS WORSE THAN MY INCENEROAR!) and that is why I hate Tapu Bulu-
    3. Sinnoh- Infernape is really good, Empoleon is cool, and Torterra is ok.
    4. Kalos - I love Greninja, and like Delphox and Chesnaught.
    5. Unova - Not a big fan of Serperier, I love Samurott, and used to not like Emboar but it's grown on me.
    6. Galar - I like Cinderace and Rillaboom, don't like Inteleon
    7. Kanto - Charizard is overated (i know from experience it used to be my favorite pokemon, along with Inceneroar) But he is cool, Venusaur is ok, and Blastoise is cool.
    8. Johto - Feraligatr is cool. Meganium is eh. I despise Typhlosion. It is so bland. Plus it is just a worse Charizard.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    ok, this will be fun.

1) Kalos - it might be a bit biased to put kalos at first place, especially since i beat X for the first time recently, but i reaally got a blast using these starters! even Chestnaught, which is the one i am less fond of want a bad start to use in battle, and the Delphox Fire/Psychic typing was proven itself to be a really great typing combo, and Greninja also as a fun start to use! this is one of the gems that i liked the designs beforehand and liked them even more after using them.

2) Galar - even though i did not use them in the "official" way (still dint play swsh) i will count them in since i used them many times in showdown, lol
    and they were incredible, Cinderace by far gotta be my favorite fire starter, has really good stats, a bulky moveset and its ability (Libero) takes it one step further! no wonder why he got banned lmfao
    Rillabloom was a fun one to use, like, suprisingly fun because i dint have that much faith in it first time, lol
    Inteleon is a funny case to me, because both in design and in battles i like Drizzile a lot more, and the fact that i like its design more is probably why i use it more, but on general i wouldnt say its a bad pokemon, just that i dint get into it that much. Being honest i could just quote Sweet Serenity post on here because its more or less the same opinion, lol

3) Johto - These starters are ones i liked since i was a kid, Feraligatr gotta be my favorite especially because of its Pokedex entry: "When it bites with its massive and powerful jaws, it shakes its head and savagely tears its victim up." that is some savage stuff, definely makes it even cooler for me, The hisuian form of typhlosion made me like it even more, even though i wish its pre-evos also had hisuian from, but Fire/Ghost is a awesome typing. Meganium is a good one to use, even though i dint use it as much.

From now on i will probably talk less about them in general.

4) Hoenn - They are close to being in my top 3. Sceptile is probably my favorite Grass type starter, both for Groovyle on PMD and for its use on battles, its mega is also one of my favorites because of the Grass/Dragon typing, Swampert was my first starter and its a fun one to use, The ground type really brings to it, and even though im not that much of fan of the Fire/Fighting starters, Blaziken is by far my favorite from them.

5) Unova - Unova gotta be the region whose starters i have the most mixed feelings on. sometimes i like them, sometimes i just cant stand them, its like a love/hate relationship lol.
    That being said, i gotta admit Serperior is on my top 3 favorite Grass starters, i had a lot of fun using it on BW2 and would probably use it it again, his moveset its my favorite from this gen.
    Samurott is the one whose i loved a lot when i was a kid, but.. i dont like it that much anymore. I dont hate it but it gets a "meh" from me now, even its hisuian form i think it had the least changes compared to the other two.
    i dont have that much to talk about Emboar, i have used it but i dont care too much about it.

6) Alola - Its another region i dint really play, so im ranking them more on design
    Rowlet gotta be one of my favorite grass type starters (by design) and its probably the reason why its up here.
    Primarina looks interesting, its fairy type probably brings a lot to it (plus it was the first starter with fairy typing)
    Inceroar... its probably my less favorite starter. at all. be it on plush, anime, games, toys, i just cant stand its design, sorry xD

7) Sinnoh - Yeah, i know this one is a fan favorite, but for some reason none of the starters ever spoke to me, i have used them before but for some reason i dint like them, i get that they are balanced and its probably because i dint like their gen that much, but its weird, i dont hate any of them, but i also dont like any of them.

8) Kanto - Another fan favorite. look i get that they are nostalgic, because when i use squirtle or bulbasaur i get a nostalgic feeling, and i get that they are iconic, but being totally honest? they are bland, and definely overused. Dynamax, Megas, Z-moves, they really dint need any of these mechanics (the kalos starters dint get any megas but the Kanto ones somehow did) now, if you counted Pikachu an Eeevee as part of the starters, they would get higher on the list (especially since i admitely love Eevee) but even that, it wouldnt be that higher, and im keeping it on the trio to keep it fair lol.

this was probably the reply i spent the most time typing, good lord i should have shrunken this down a bit lol

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    1. Hoenn
    Blaziken and Sceptile are the only starter evolutions that have found themselves on my top 10 favourite Pokémon list. I love every single one of these Pokémon in all three starter lines! I think they're all as close to perfect as you can get.

2. Sinnoh
    I constantly refer to Sinnoh as my favourite region in terms of the Pokémon they have introduced, and the starters are no exception. This one is a close second, certainly. I love all three evolutionary lines almost equally, though I'd have to say that Infernape is ever so slightly my favourite of the bunch. Every time I play a generation 4 game, I genuinely am indecisive about which starter to choose. It is also notable that Piplup was my first starter ever and thus has a special place in my heart.

3. Johto
    This is where it gets difficult for me. Johto, Unova, and Alola I like all practically the same.
    I will give third place to Johto, because I'm fond of all evolutionary lines quite considerably. Again, I've used each of these starters before and choosing one always proves to be quite a difficult task. Meganium is my favourite of group, however. I find her simplistic yet elegant design to be absolutely ravishing.

4. Unova
    I LOVE Serperior and Samurott, absolutely adore everything about them. The Tepig line, however, I'm much less fond of. I still like it though, just significantly less than its counterparts, and when you compare Embroar to the likes of Blaziken and Infernape, well, it unfortunately falls short. Nonetheless, I think Unova overall places high due to my undying adoration for the Snivy and Oshawott lines.

5. Alola
    I love Primarina, it's very likely tied for my favourite water starter with Samurott. I love its unapologetically feminine design and it is also
    a wonderful Pokémon to use as well. Unlike many, I do really love the Litten line in its entirety. I am immensely fond of Rowlet and Deucideye, as well. The one thing I will admit is that I only ever played Moon and it was a while after USUM came out, so I never got to use these Pokémon to the same degree that I have used other starters. Thus, I have less of an attachment to them despite liking their designs overall.

6. Kalos
    This one is a bit inconsistent, I do like all three lines overall. What I will say is the middle evolutions (yes, Quilladin, I'm looking specifically at you here) look a bit clumsy and awkward. Fennekin was my favourite pre-evolved starter until a certain marijuana kitty was introduced earlier this year (Sprigatito), though I like Braixen and Delphox slightly less. I also do love Chasnaught, though its pre-evolutions I am less fond of as well. The Froakie line I have perhaps the most consistent opinion of, I like all three.

7. Kanto
    I just find them to be a little bland. Bulbasaur is the stand out here, I love it more than its evolutions by a considerable amount. I also am fond of Squirtle and Charmander, as well as Charizard, the rest I consider to be average at best. Wartortle I plainly do not care for. Its ears have never sat right with me and that has to be mentioned.

8. Galar
    I like the Scorbunny line, I absolutely love Raboot. The other two lines, I do not particularly care for in any way, shape, or form. I love Sobble and Grookey, but their evolutions are nothing short of disappointing. Inteleon especially, I've attempted to force myself to like it but I just can't. I detest it.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Based on aesthetics (and maybe a bit of nostalgia)...

Spoiler:

1. Johto
    2. Kanto (tied with Johto, but the former is more significant to me)
    3. Unova
    4. Hoenn (tied with Unova until I averaged out the scores for each line)
    5. Alola
    6. Sinnoh
    7. Paldea (tied with Sinnoh, but the Quaxly line just doesn't appeal to me)
    8. Kalos (tied with Sinnoh and Paldea until I averaged out the scores for each line)
    9. Galar

- - -

UPDATE: Added Paldean Starters

Last edited:
    Years
  • 1.) Sinnoh:
    All three starters have great final evolutions and stat lines. While Empoleon is somewhat weaker than the other two (water/steel means weak to ground and fighting + low speed) it was still the one I started with and made me into a steel-type enjoyer. Also there was no clear favoritism with any starter compared to the other regions from my experience. It was quite diverse from what I remember.

2.) Johto
    In middle school it was either team Totodile or team Cyndaquil, and I was team Cyndaquil. Nobody ever picked Chikorita but looking back it isn't too bad of a pokemon. It's just Meganium is a bit underwhelming for a tank when it has weaknesses like ice, bug, poison, flying, and fire.

3.) Kanto
    Game Freak or Nintendo really seem to love Kanto so much that it is milked all the time, yet I am a sucker for these starters. I really love Bulbasaur because the bulb on its back looks cute, like a tiny plant. Charizard may seem overrated, but he's popular for a reason. It's a dragon despite not being a dragon. Blastroise is also really cool because he's got cannons on his back. All three starters are equally chosen by a lot of people even if Charizard is the one always picked.

4.) Unova
    I think the Unova starters are a bit underrated. I really enjoyed using Serperior as the superior choice and its serpent-like design makes it stand out from other starters. Emboar was already for being a beefy fire/fighting tank, but just okay. Samurott I think is also cool with good coverage and it's a shame not a lot of people I knew picked him.

5.) Alolan
    I actually liked the starters in this region and think all of them are great, but Incineroar feels underwhelming. He's a heavyweight champion that's too slow to survive sometimes. Decidueye was the starter I chose for vanilla Sun and I enjoyed his grass/ghost typing. Primarina is also a great pokemon, glad I went with her for my Ultra Moon playthrough. Water/Fairy came in hand a lot.

6.) Hoenn
    I think the main problem with the Hoenn starters is the Hoenn region itself. You CAN go for Sceptile and Blaziken, but to get around you're required to find a water type to add to the party. Why not choose Mudkip at that point? It levels up fast, has access to ground moves, and doesn't require elemental stones that you find near the end of the game (for some reason). Also a lot of the water types are locked behind surf and dive which require a water type. I really do think Sceptile and Blaziken are amazing in their own right, but Swampert is ultimately more useful for the player. I'm also biased because I really love Mudkip, and Swampert is my favorite of the three.

7.) Kalos
    Everybody I knew picked Froakie for Greninja, and I was the only one who picked Chespin. Chesnaught is underrated in my opinion, but I still consider Breloom to be superior thanks to spore and poison heal+toxic orb gimmicks. I do not have any opinions on Delphox since I've never used him.

I have not played past Ultra Sun/Moon.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Kanto

To be honest, I've always been fond of the Kanto starters, as they're the first starters you ever got to pick. And, I do think they're pretty balanced. We all do know that Charizard is Game Freak's new favorite, but really, I've always liked all three of them and have used all three Kanto starters in the past and enjoyed my time with them as a whole.

Johto

I think Johto's starters are nice and it's great they all remained singularly typed, but in a few ways, the Johto starters have a lot that just...lackluster? I love Meganium, but it's pretty bad in the region you first get to use it in. Which really sucks, as Chikorita is my favorite of the three Johto starters. I do think they're still great, but they're definitely not a favorite of mine. I've used all three at some point throughout the years.

Hoenn

Treecko is my favorite starter of all time, but that doesn't mean the Hoenn starters are my favorites as a whole. I'm not really all that fond of Blaziken. Like Blaziken is okay, but it started the Fire/Fighting trend for the next two generations. Swampert is cool, though. It only has one weakness in Grass. I believe I have used all three Hoenn starters, at some point.

Sinnoh

I feel like the Sinnoh ones are my favorites because they have an interesting theme overall. Gen IV is also the first generation where all the starters had dual types, which wasn't seen again until Generation VI. I have used all three of the Sinnoh starters on full playthroughs and have enjoyed it each time I did so.

Unova

I like the Unova starters up until they're all fully evolved, which is when they begin to feel disappointing to me. I don't like how these starters except Emboar are singularly typed, it's just really not that great, in my opinion. So, I don't really enjoy using these starters considering all that.

Kalos

My least favorite starters, honestly. This was the generation I ditched my starter, tbh. I don't care for Delphox or Chesnaught and Greninja is cool but now oversaturated for being the most popular Pokemon. I don't know if it still is, but yeah.

Alola

I liked the Alola starters and loved the cutscene we got at the end of the game where if you kept your starter with you the entire playthrough it would come out of its Pokeball and look at you. That was the greatest thing. I really enjoyed using my Alola starter, and loved that they were all following a theme in some way.

Galar

I like the Galar starters, honestly. I felt like they were a partner Pokemon, and used my starters all the way through my playthroughs of Sword/Shield. Pryo Ball was a lot of fun to use and Scorbunny was definitely my favorite this generation. But, I wasn't really fond of Grookey, so they're not my favorite group of starters by a longshot.

Sinnoh > Kanto > Hoenn > Alola > Galar > Johto > Unova > Galar in that order.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    1. Kanto - Obviously iconic. Charizard is very overrated but still very cool. By far best first stage starters

2. Johto - definitely the cutest designs. probably a bit biased d/t nostalgia

3. Sinnoh - I would put this at #1 if it were based on final stage evolutions only but the first and second stages are kinda fugly

4. Kalos - They all turned out pretty well. Delphox and Chesnaught are criminally underrated designs. I also like adding the Dark/Psychic/Fighting triangle in as well

5. Hoenn - Mixed bag - Torchic looks cute but then looks extremely weird by the end of it, Sceptile is cool but has to go through Treecko first.

6. Galar - The designs are really weird for me. I don't know if I like that ALL of them are anthropomorphic in their final stages.

7. Alola - Supremely overrated. Not bad by any means.

8. Unova - Disapointing/uninspired. People always point to Vanilluxe/Garbodor as evidence Gen 5 saw the decline of creativity but imo those are fine and it's the starters (especially Tepig line) that demonstrate this.

SquirmyWorm064

I’m weird :>
    Years
  • 1. Johto
    I really like all of the starters (especially Chikorita) and all of there evolutions

2. Unova
    I love Oshawott and Snivy, but the Tepig line could have been better

3. Kalos
    All of the starters have good designs and there evolutions

4. Kanto
    The most iconic starters

5. Hoenn
    Good starters with good evolutions (except for mega Swampert if you count that)

6. Sinnoh
    Good starters but Chimchar is a bit weird

7. Alola
    Nice starters, but their evolutions are okay. Incineroar really makes me dislike the starters

8. Galar
    They were okay starters but the evolutions were poorly made in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of Galar.

Years
    • Age 19
    • she
    • SC
    • Seen Feb 2, 2023
    1. Unova
    Totally not biased since Unova was my first game, but I've always liked all three starters, especially the Oshawott line. Even Emboar, the weakest of the three imo, is still super cool with a badass shiny form.

2. Alola
    Decidueye and Primarina are absolute peak designs. Would probably be above Unova if Incineroar was cooler.

3. Hoenn
    Another gen with 3 solid starters. Despite that, I've only ever used Blaziken 'cause it's just so cool. I <3 fire chicken

4. Kanto
    The classics. Bulbasaur is probably the cutest first stage imo, only rivaled by Piplup.

5. Sinnoh
    Empoleon is cool. Everyone else is whatever.

6. Kalos
    Same as Sinnoh but replace Empoleon with Delphox. Greninja's tongue scarf is gross, not sorry.

7. Johto
    Just never cared for any of them. Not a fan of most Johto designs in general.

8. Galar
    Every single one of these is fugly. I had hope for Scorbunny, but after seeing Cinderace for the first time, that thing went straight to the PC. Barf.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • 1. Unova
    Totally not biased since Unova was my first game, but I've always liked all three starters, especially the Oshawott line. Even Emboar, the weakest of the three imo, is still super cool with a badass shiny form.

2. Alola
    Decidueye and Primarina are absolute peak designs. Would probably be above Unova if Incineroar was cooler.

3. Hoenn
    Another gen with 3 solid starters. Despite that, I've only ever used Blaziken 'cause it's just so cool. I <3 fire chicken

4. Kanto
    The classics. Bulbasaur is probably the cutest first stage imo, only rivaled by Piplup.

5. Sinnoh
    Empoleon is cool. Everyone else is whatever.

6. Kalos
    Same as Sinnoh but replace Empoleon with Delphox. Greninja's tongue scarf is gross, not sorry.

7. Johto
    Just never cared for any of them. Not a fan of most Johto designs in general.

8. Galar
    Every single one of these is fugly. I had hope for Scorbunny, but after seeing Cinderace for the first time, that thing went straight to the PC. Barf.

I like this post. We seem to have a lot in common regarding starters.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    1. Kanto
    2. Johto
    3. Hoenn
    4. Sinnoh
    5. Unova
    6. Alola
    7. Paldea
    8. Galar
    9. Kalos

I love the first four gens, it's both a coincidence and not that they're in that order lol. Then it kinda goes all over the place and I'm not sure.

Back