• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Releasing Pokemon

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Releasing Pokemon has always been a feature of the games, ever since gen 1. However, it's a function that I've personally only rarely had to use. So I'm curious, what are you guys' thoughts on releasing Pokemon? Is it something you do often? In what kinds of situations do you find it useful to release your Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I release my Pokemon if I caught more than one of the same Pokemon trying to find the right nature or ability. Same thing goes for breeding and excess hatched Pokemon without perfect 5-6 IVs, targeted nature and ability.

xFataLx

Dreaming oV a Dead Sun
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    lately releasing a bunch of charmanders from breeding. up to 4 boxes released. I don't have the patience for wonder trade. but yah i release bad iv/natured mons that came from breeding.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I generally will never release a Pokemon, but with the advent of easy breeding, I've been made an exception for those Pokemon. I hate to call them leftovers, but generally I'll send them out through wondertrade until I get something neat. I also hate to use the term "wondertrash", but those are the Pokemon I would release.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    When I was younger I never did because I always felt bad if I did. Though now I still don't do it very often I save them for Wonder Trading.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • No but I remember when I was younger I heard from a relative that they released a mon because they didn't know what the 'release' button did.

Years
  • I don't release Pokemon that often, but if I'm catching dupes of a certain species in order to get a nature or ability I want, then I release the rejects.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I release my Pokemon if I caught more than one of the same Pokemon trying to find the right nature or ability. Same thing goes for breeding and excess hatched Pokemon without perfect 5-6 IVs, targeted nature and ability.

For me, it's the same reason; I don't always release Pokémon, but when I do, it's because of having duplicates.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Release all the babies.

When I release fossil Pokemon, I imagine I'm unleashing an invasive species that will tear up a habitat and the population of a once extinct species will rise again. I patiently wait to see any environmental news updates, but sadly nothing ever happens.

Years
  • I never did it a lot until X and Y, where I pretty much threw away any breedject that wasn't for trade xD

In other cases, I also release Pokemon when cleaning out my PC boxes; mostly it's the ones I caught for Dex data only that gets released (excluding legendaries and/or events)

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I used to release them until wonder trade came about.
    Just cause if I don't want an pokemon someone else might love that pokemon.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Since wifi trading came about, I've released anything that isn't of value including bred Pokemon that don't have flawless IVs. If it's something of moderate value like an evolved Pokemon or a shiny, I will trade it away. If my friends give me fodder, I like keeping them just for the memories. I like keeping a Pidgey or a Purrloin if it's to have my friend's OT. :)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I have to release Pokemon every once in awhile, as I'm a breeder yet I don't have enough space. :(

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I never release Pokemon purely because I prefer to have them in the box. I've never come across the occasion where I've ran out of room either, plus I feel bad doing so. :x

Years
  • I feel really bad if I release any Pokémon. I always think back to when Ash released his Butterfree. ;-; Though, generally speaking, cramming them in a PC isn't much better. {XD}

I typically use Wonder Trade to get rid of them instead. At least then they find a new home. Even if it's only for a minute. Yeah... that isn't much better either... ~_~

We're horrible people.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I don't know how some of y'all can be so heartless. :C
    I can never release Pokémon that I catch. I just get too darn attached to the little fellas. This usually isn't an issue because I tend not to catch too many Pokémon during my playthrough of the main storyline, so the PC doesn't usually fill up much anyway. I can afford to keep them locked away forever.

Back