• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Today I learned that 'the Lion King' is more than just a kids movie.

It's actually a retelling of Hamlet, but with lions! Same thing with the second one Romeo and Juliet, I think!

Today I learned that, why yes, I was in dire need of a new phone.

Years
    Today I learned that people who are in my state for United States Olympic training programs, at a facility in the state, approved by their sport's governing body, is immediately eligible for in-state college tuition.

Years
    Today I learned the name the Australian Superb Fairywren, also known as the Splendid Fairywren. The title fairy suits it nicely. This bird looks like a little winged lapis lazuli stone with it's wondrous blue plumage. I read that it's feathers are iridescent, and will reflect ultraviolet light in striking fashion. I think the fairywren would make a fine early route flying pokemon for the next generation. It should be a fairy duo type obviously with such a magical coloration.

Today I learned...

I liked reading about this bird's behavior. Technically, they are monogamous. Monogamous in the broadest sense that when a male and female form a pair, they stay with eachother for life. Despite this bond, both male and females have been known to mate with other fairywrens. When they have chicks from wrens different than their partners, everybody works together to take care of the baby birds without jealousy, the mother bird, her partner and other males she has mated with coexist. They have an interesting social structure, and are considered a cooperative breeding species. 3-5 different wrens room together as a small community to maintain the territory, fend off predators, groom each other, and look after the young.

These are graceful birds, known for elaborate courtship dances with funky names like the 'sea horse flight', and the 'face fan', and they are quite the singers too! Fairywrens communicate with multiple types of songs, and when they sing to their young they add a special note for the chicks to sing back, it serves like a secret code. This appears to be an evolutionary adaptation to protect them from cuckoo birds, who love to lay their eggs in fairy wren nests, which is bad for wrens because the cuckoo hatchlings will kill off the real fairy wren chicks, and take over. However, cuckoo birds fail to learn this secret password in the song, and that will alert the fairywren that it's an imposter, and they'll leave the dangerous cuckoo behind. I'm glad these clever little wrens have ways of outfoxing predators, and that's also why they live in a big community structure, the colony is a defense mechanism so that this extended family can all stay on the lookout for shennigans from the cuckoo, and chase them away.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Trapinch has the same attack stat as it's fully evolved form Flygon. They both have base 100.

Krabby has a higher base attack stat than Flygon and Infernape.

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    Today I learned the name the Australian Superb Fairywren, also known as the Splendid Fairywren. The title fairy suits it nicely. This bird looks like a little winged lapis lazuli stone with it's wondrous blue plumage. I read that it's feathers are iridescent, and will reflect ultraviolet light in striking fashion. I think the fairywren would make a fine early route flying pokemon for the next generation. It should be a fairy duo type obviously with such a magical coloration.

Today I learned more about the lovely little fairywrens that we see down here, courtesy of this post! They're even more beautiful in person, and they're so playful! If I had one word to describe fairywrens, it'd be jubilant. They're the epitome of carefree happiness and that's why they are one of my absolute favourite species of bird! When I was a child, we used to visit this kind lady with a huge, breath-taking garden, and her wrens were so friendly that if you put out your hand with some crumbly cheese on it, they'd all perch there to eat!

Years
    Today learned that the ancient Romans called the mineral malachite, a "peacock stone". The deep, dark green coloration and distinctive swirling patterns reminded them of peacock feathers.

Malachite was associated with Juno, their queen of the Gods because peafowl were among this Goddess' most sacred sacred animals. I also learned that the Egyptian paradise Aaru, the field of reeds, is also sometimes called field of malachite. What a heavenly stone indeed.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    No Freaking way :O

Yup, although it mostly depends on the type of plant.

Some plants are dioecious - any given specimen will only have male or female parts - but most plants are monoecious - have both male and female parts, although they might have more "male" flowers than "female" flowers or vice-versa.

Some plants even have "perfect" flowers which have both male and female parts!

As for my TIL, TIL that Russian Witch House is a music genre.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    TIL I'm going to be a vegetarian again! Had a long discussion with myself and really sat with my my ethics and eating meat, especially red meat, is just not something I want to do anymore. Still on the fence about fish but I figure I've got time to decide.

Years
    TIL how incredibly incompetent my city's mayor is compared to neighboring cities. Lots of other places in my province already have electricity and running water, while we're still struggling here. Fifth day today without these basic needs.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned that Michael was the mot popular baby name for males from the years 1954 to about 1999, with the exception of 1960 where it was dethroned by David for that year. It just suddenly fell off out of favor and hasn't been most popular since.

I also learned For a really long time between the 1880s-1930s Mary and John were the most popular baby names.

Btw, right now, in 2021, apparently, Olivia and Liam were the most popular baby names. I'm now curious what was the reason for Michael's quite honestly, ridiculous popularity among parents for names back in the day. Even my brother is a Michael, well, it's his middle name, anyway.

Last edited:

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Discord moderators are just about the worst mods there are.

To make this TIL more upbeat though here's a freebie: The show name "Codename: Kids Next Door" was supposed to be a reference to the fact that they lived next door to "Kenny and Chimpy", but since Kenny and Chimpy never got picked up as a full series that did not happen.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    To be fair, Reddit moderators are pretty close in the obnoxiousness rankings.

TIL that GIFs are older than PNGs and even JPEGs. In fact, GIFs are one of the oldest image formats still widely in use.

Back