• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    ...Why? Would not limit yourself to only one friend. Treasures different friends for different reasons usually. Holds true for romantic/sexual partners for some people too. Sees no issue, provided everyone is aware and consenting.

Understands it being a dealbreaker for some. Considers that fine too. Experiences love (and life) in very different ways sometimes.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Y'all can live your life however you want, and I (or anybody, really) certainly can't tell you who you should have any kind of relationship with, be it platonic, romantic or sexual but, please keep in mind that:
    1) this isn't the 1500s anymore, the Catholic Church isn't the law of the land,
    2) attempting to push your religious views on other people is extremely rude

If you don't agree with divorce or polyamory or hook ups or whatever, that's one world view and it's valid, but the opposite is valid too and you just have to live with that.

tl;dr: What two or more consenting adults do in private spaces is nobody's business except their own.

Now, as for an actual TIL, TIL that Madden Gif Maker banned the word "Capitalism" because "too many people were using the gifs to make communist propaganda."

Years
    Today I learned just how piss poor Onix's stats are. I understand it was to give beginners a fair chance against it versus Brock, but you'd think that years later, Game Freak would at least bother to give it an update.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    TIL I learned that Charles Martinet voiced Paarthurnax in Skyrim, shit nearly blew my mind

Never had any idea he's done more than Mario+some Mario characters, and that's such a different voice, going from Mario & Co. to mildly sexy dragon voice lol (I'm aware that some VAs have quite the range, but still)

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Learned how many Douglas Counties exist in the United States. Switched telephone numbers not long ago. Inherited one of the previous owner's automated messages (and daily spam). Alerts about Douglas County schools. Never bothered to block that one yet.

Wondered where Douglas County was. Figured somewhere nearby. Followed similar weather trends. Could likely estimate the previous owner's location. Googled it. Discovered Douglas Counties in Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, and Wisconsin. Evidently ranks 17th on the list of most common county names.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Today I learnt that line stabilization is a thing in digital art.
    Doing art on an amateur level for 20 years and counting. <_<

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned PUBG stands for Player Unknown BattleGround. I always assumed PUBG was just the full name. I've never played this game, never will, but I'm shocked to learned it stands for something.

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Smosh was the most subscribed to YouTube channel in YouTube's first year - 2005.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Today I learned that pog (as in poggers or pogchamp) originally meant "Passion (Fruit), Orange and Guava" and was a juice flavor / brand.

Years
    TIL that the Spanish version of "Family Madrigal" from Encanto (2021) slaps way harder than the English one.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    TIL No Ivysaur has ever lost a battle on camera in the pokémon anime/movies.

Also, the "You got a badge" fanfare was introduced in Gen II - the original games used the same jingle as for picking up an item.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    TIL that the premade dithery shading effects manga have (think dots or lines or things like that) are called screentones.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    TIL that butterflies have yellow poop. As in, well, butter-coloured poop, as the person who named the insect noticed.

On a similar topic, Thomas Crapper was one of the best toilet-makers in England, possibly because his family name had become synonimous with the substance a few decades earlier. So successful was his business that, when 2 million US soldiers travelled to Britain for WWI, they saw all those Crapper-branded toilets and brought back to America the British-slang word "crap".

Back