• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    TIL that Grimes spent two years eating nothing but pasta.

I also learned that the Falkland Islands are full with mines and that penguins are too light to trigger them so they have more or less colonized the islands.

Years
    TIL Jonathan Groff was in Glee, and had a pretty big role too.

Ah, the things you miss out on when you actively avoid the mainstream for decades.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned that gen in fanfiction means there's no pairing in your story.

The more you know.
    I now know how to tag my fanfiction when I post it on ao3.

Years
    TIL (Well, 2 days ago rather) how to get the Minecraft installer running on Windows 10 without getting stuck on that "Making Everything Awesome" screen. Interesting work-around, and I'm unsure if other folks need to do this, but it works perfectly fine now~

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    TIL that the average school day in the US has about 6 hours, sometimes divided in six blocks of one hour each.

That sounds awful. Over here, the average school day has 4 hours (8 am - 12 pm or 1 pm - 5 pm), usually divided in 4 blocks of 50 min.

High School / Trade school combos usually have a day or two where it's 6 hours, but it's not that common, although some high school / trade school combos basically do all of high school in one shift and all of trade school in the other.

Even in university, it's usually still only one shift (with maybe one lab session on the other shift) spanning a total of 4 hours if you follow the suggested timetable. Who thought that making kids stay at school for 6 hours was a good idea?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Usually wound up longer than that, personally. Depends where you start counting, though.

Rode the bus for high school. Left home at 6:45 AM. Arrived at school at maybe 7:10 AM. (Beat most others there.) Began class at 7:50 AM.
    Classes 1-3: 58 minutes each. Allowed five minutes between classes.
    Class 4 + lunch: 1 hour, 28 minutes.
    Classes 5-6: 58 minutes each.
    Departed school on the bus. Dropped most everyone else off first. Returned home at maybe 3:15 PM? (Cannot recall for sure. Works out nicer for numbers.)

Totaled roughly 8 hours, 30 minutes with transit and eating included. Looked forward to homework from there.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned IV, as in the iv tubes you get in the hospitals, not the roman numeral (which is four) stands for Intravenous therapy. And it's called that because it's a tube that goes into the vein...

...And typing out this post makes me even more terrified of ever needing surgery. Good job, me.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    You can make "notebooks" with only some paper and a stapler!

Though, apparently if you want to be extra fancy you can also sew them together with a sewing machine.

Years
    TIL that mukbang Youtubers (except Nikocado Avocado apparently) don't actually keep all that food in after the videos finished.

I genuinely thought that they schedule it so that during shoot days, they don't eat anything else, and make sure to regularly workout to maintain their physique. Guess I was wrong.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I re-learned the fact that apple seeds contain cyanide in them which reaffirms me on my stance to never touch that fruit, period.

I was watching a video on Doctor Mike's Youtube channel regarding foods that are toxic and can kill you, and that was the first one on the list.

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    That's really interesting. I thought Fred had dominated Youtube from 2005-2010

I am as surprised as you are to find out that Fred doesn't become the most subscribed to YouTube channel until September 2008, so somebody else was the most subscribed to channel that year, but Fred was the most subscribed to channel for all of 2009. He stops being the most subscribed to channel in February 2010, when Smosh once again takes it over.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    TIL that phone cameras don't have mechanical shutters. They just disable the sensor when they want to take a picture.

Which is part of the reasons, professional cameras will never really die out.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned that Porygon is in Legends Arceus and to that I say, how? I don't have the game yet, but I'm just...how? Game Freak destroying their own lore.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
    I re-learned the fact that apple seeds contain cyanide in them which reaffirms me on my stance to never touch that fruit, period.

I was watching a video on Doctor Mike's Youtube channel regarding foods that are toxic and can kill you, and that was the first one on the list.

I had an apple today time to die

TIL some anatomy for drawing men

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I had an apple today time to die

TIL some anatomy for drawing men

as long as you didn't eat the seeds, you'll be fine (i know you're joking but still)

i need to learn how to draw human men better, come to think of it

also today i learned that "you can't mute yourself" on twitter when I accidentally pressed the u key on my keyboard while try to reply to my own tweet. thanks, twitter, I wasn't trying to mute myself. (I didn't even know this was even something that Twitter thought people would do, though.)

Last edited:

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
    as long as you didn't eat the seeds, you'll be fine (i know you're joking but still)
    Oh no, I would never eat the seeds. I'm not crazy.

TIL my succulent is dying because it was probably overwatered. (I didn't water it over winter break, so I tried to make up for it my watering it more than usual. Apparently that wasn't the right move)

Years
    Today I learned that imitation crab is made of surimi, a paste made out of finely shredded or pulverized fish. This means that most California rolls made in the States are actually made of fish. Which means that my mom is a liar for saying that she hates fish.

Back