• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Opinion: What Makes a Good Staff Member?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    You know, being on this forum a long time, I see members have their opinions from agreements, to disagreements, to how a staff member, from mod to admin 'operates', so to speak. Still on this thread, what would you say your own opinion is? What do you think makes a "great staff member?" What do they need to do, and how do they need to act? What other ideas can you think of?

I'd love to hear your opinions on this! Feel free to share your thoughts!

Years
    What I'd do is not try and act like I'm superior to others, that is downright uncool and I'd never treat my fellow members like that. A good staff member has to try and put themselves on equal footing with the non-staffers but also do their job well at the same time. Also, don't give infractions right off the bat should someone break the rules, but do it in stages where it's a "heads up" PM first, then send warnings if the offender resists, and then infractions if the situation really calls for it. Also, a good tip to succeeding as a staff member is to try not to come off as intimidating because a mod's job here is to help the members, not scare them.

If I was in a mod's shoes what I'd do is focus on mod work (aka the usual closing, deleting, moving, checking reports) but at the same time I'd also get myself involved in the activity of the section with the regulars who posted there. This is essentially how I view a good staff member, and I have easily noticed it with a lot of mods today and hopefully that also carries over to future staff members as well.

I know this post is coming from someone who has not been staff here yet, but I've seen how the staff act right now and I know they are doing their roles exceptionally well. This is what I want to see of the PC staff of the future, carry the maturity, assistance and friendship that the current staff are showing.

Last edited:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Though I am a staffer, I think the key to being a good staff member is remembering that you're only a member with some minor benefits. Your job is to interact with your fellow members, create a positive and interactive environment to encourage participation and community, and do janitorial duties when they arise.

We're given the position to provide positive influence over our sections, or the forum at large. If you're not working to give the members something better or improve the community, then you're probably not doing the job you were entrusted with correctly. Moderating idly does nothing for anyone and stagnates the community.

Just my two cents. :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I follow some simple rules that I hope make me a decent mod:

# Don't be a victim. You're not necessarily better than other members but you sure as hell shouldn't let them believe that you are any worse.

# Don't be a boss. You don't have to single handedly run the section if you have an active community with many voices, you just have to be the one to make the final decisons.

# Reply to messages as soon as you can :)

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I think think the most important thing about being a staff member is remaining humble. You're not a superstar because you have a position of responsibility on a Pokémon forum. Even if you were, it doesn't mean that you should feel superior to others.

Being able to compromise on situations, and admit when you're wrong is extremely vital in being a staff member. If you refuse to admit that you're not omniscient, all it does is cause people to resent your stance in that position. It's important to realise that you're human, and everyone on this forum is too. You make mistakes just as much as any member, and that puts you on the same playing field. A staff member isn't in their position because they're better, or more correct than anyone else, they're there because they wanted to be. Desire and personality are the only things that set members and staff members apart.

We all share a piece of this forum, it is up to a staff member to ensure that it's shared equally among us. First and foremost that's what we moderate for, so that people enjoy themselves in an equal and safe environment. A staff member should not see their abilities to moderate, or manipulate the forum as a means of self-promotion.

Never use your position to validate your point. It's critical that staff members put forward a point without implying that their position makes it more valid. If one states that their rank is above another's point or concerns they truly lose track of what it means to be staff. If you stripped away the titles, the colours, but still had the ability to moderate the forum - you would be just another member in the eyes of the rest. Don't poison PC for yourself by alienating your values and attaching them to your position. Always stay true to what you think is the right thing to do, staff or not.

Getting involved with the community is one of the most important things you can possibly do on PC. One post a day doesn't hurt, but that isn't community involvement. To be truly involved, you need to have conversations with members, help out newbies, discuss topics, make new friends and ultimately learn about the community. One thing I will always say is that you never stop learning from people on PC, and by extension you never stop learning about PC. Moderator, Super Moderator, Administrator, it doesn't matter, you don't inherently know what's best for the forum. Especially if you don't get involved with it. It's easy to sit back in a position and tip away at meeting requirements so that you remain on staff, just for the sake of having a position, but it's meaningless. The moment you start treating your position as an excuse to avoid the community is the moment you should step down.

A big one is listening to members, but also, listening to staff members. Ignore ranks when reading posts, it helps you realise that anyone can make a valid and cohesive point. Everyone on this forum has led a different life, and experienced different things on PC that you have not. That you never will. So you can't ever experience everything, which leaves you in the dark about certain situations and angles. As one person, you see things from one perspective, you may empathise with other perspectives, but the full picture cannot be seen with a blind eye. That is why you must listen to others and use them as telescopes into other lives and new ways of viewing situations. That is the only way you can achieve the full picture and truly use your position wisely.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Ah, you've all said really great points so far! Hm, so it's the time to answer my own topic, in which, I'll try to avoid parroting, but, some of these points are indeed key! Well anyway, in my own opinion, there's a lot of factors on what decides a truly great asset of the staff team.

First of all, are they confident, and do they believe in their own abilities? Which yes, I agree that staff members should remain humble throughout their time in their position, but they still have to find the confidence within their self to do their own job. For instance, what do you think will happen if a staff member keeps on second guessing themselves? They wouldn't handle conflicts correctly, and that can eventually lead to a storm of rule breaking in their own section, as well as disorder. Just saying, a belief in one's self can go a long way because a staff member occasionally has to deal with trouble and confrontation, and they'll have to work out the best possible way to solve the problem.

A staff member who breaking down barriers is another good point that makes them good, I'd like to think. I like to think that we shouldn't judge ourselves because of our titles: we're just young fans of the pokemon franchise, at least in this forum, who loves to share their pokemon discussions and ideas with others, as well as unwind from time to time and just chat alongside different people. Liek the should get involved, meeting new friends, having a genuine interest in the memberbase and in the community itself. Forgetting the fact that you are a member of the staff team does help in a way that trust is built between them, and each member they interact with, so when a decision comes from a staff member, they would know to trust them, rather than just accept that from intimidation.

That being said, here's another thing: whenever they 'moderate', they should act like themselves, rather than different people. Like, I feel that nowadays, staying true to oneself is really an underrated concept. See, motivation is key here. Would a staff member feel more motivated to act like a drill Sargent all the time, while they have more of a passive nature, or would they be more motivated by just sticking to their own personality? This might just be my opinion here but acting like someone that you're not is just not the way to do things. They won't personally enjoy themselves as much as they should and ultimately that can lead to stress for them, which they won't develop a level head in more pressing matters.

I always like a staff member if they show a little initiative too. Like, do they just stick to their own section, or do they reach out to their fellow staff members to help them out whenever they need it, providing advice and stuff? Do they actually try to attempt to start conversations themselves between other members? That sort of thing, and many more! Oh, and one that has a good personality too. I mean come onnnnn, they're not robots, they're people like you and I, and again, it helps to build trust and makes them approachable. :3

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    no wonder this forum is so staff-centric if there are paragraphs upon paragraphs being written about them and their attempts to avoid mortal hubris

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Oh, I could go on at length about this... I've only seen all too many forums which have... less than ideal staff members. And I was once a staff member of a forum. Here? I really have no opinion of the staff because I'm not really fully integrated into this community.

Anyways though, here are the ideas I've picked up over the years.

A staff member should be kind, obviously. They should never be rude to another member, and always conduct themselves in a polite manner so as not to make others feel unwelcome. Nor should they display bias for or against certain members. (Although honestly, the latter is inevitable - just trying to cut down on showing bias as much as possible is fine with me.) They should be as impartial as possible whenever they are handling conflicts.

Of course, that isn't to say that should be a robot. I think, as some have said, they should definitely act like... an actual human being. My personal preference is if a staff member is honest about who they are without being rude or getting too angry. A staff member will also feel like a robot if they respond to you with a very detached way of saying things, false overly politically correct niceness the kind you'd see in a corporation's customer service. I dislike that immensely. If a staff member can just level with other members, speak to them with respect and like they're fellow people, rather hiding with false smiles, then I consider them to be a very good staff member. This trait is most valued to me.

Also, they shouldn't just merely just appear to moderate the forum and go away - but participate in and enjoy the community.

With each other, there should be clearcut communication and everyone should be aware of their duties. There also should be loads of delegation - one person controlling the show is often bad because if that person disappears... you're kind of screwed. Having enough staff members to handle the size of the forum is super important. Also, staff members shouldn't contradict each other's actions in public. Ideally, because they have communicated efficiently with each other about management, they would all know about decisions that are made and not dispute them.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    A good staff member? Hm... whatever. If you do the moderation thing, then that's that, as far as I care. A moderator here on TPC is expected by H-staff to be more than the rank's name means, however; that's why I'm not one. One needs an attractive personality — to be the 'popular type' or otherwise loveable. And what makes a good H-staffer? Same thing, it seems.

After all, we're all human, why should a ranking on a website make us better than anyone else?
    "We're all human." Yes, that's why. I'm sorry, I can't explain it well, but it is a fairly simple sociological matter. The common investment of people makes a community, as we have, and there are desirable positions within it. Why are they desirable? Because being in them makes one indispensible to the community, and valued by one's peers upon the merit of one's achieved position. If you're wanted or needed, you're sheltered and fed and allowed to mate. None of the privileges I've named really apply on TPC, but the mindset applies to all able-minded humans at all times, all the same. That's the idea, anyway.

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Someone who cares for others, and likes a group mentality. Someone who can be level-headed and hold both protocol and exceptions to things when necessary. Someone who doesn't hold onto convention and can be a true liberal about what they do, not clamoring onto the past of things. Someone who can make intelligent decisions in the best interests of PC, like a politician's decisions for a state - basing their thoughts solely on the health and longevity of the forum at large and nothing else. That's what I think makes a good staff member.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Ok so this is a big thing for me haha
    Pretty much what makes a good one is being friendly and talkative a lot of mods start a conversation with me and are friendly and never have said a bad thing thats the biggest for me atleast as long as theyre friendly.

Now the bad ones dont ever answer me if i vm them (i wont name names) never have talked to me nor do i see them talk to anyone, ignore a pm with a question (ya well... Still wont name names) and once i was fixing my sig and changing it and its hard on the ipad to get a good perspective so i liked it saved it then went on my computer which took 1 min and it was disabled and i was infracted the second time it happended. Thats not much fun lol and others pretty much would be like acting superior i already know im not a mod u dont have to remind me lol act like your a normal member and your great! So ya thats about it both good and bad.

Years
    I'm gonna keep this short and sweet because it's 2:15AM. I've only skimmed through some of the posts because my eyes are dying, so some of these points may be echoed.

1) Be friendly. An added bonus is someone that can make ye laugh. So basically have a bit of a personality.
    2) Be a part of the forum; post actively, show your interest and create a positive atmosphere.
    3) Listen to suggestions from other members and perhaps other staff.
    4) If a member has done something wrong, approach them nicely and make sure they know what they have done and how they can avoid breaking the rules in the future.
    5) Don't take advantage of your position.

Those are just a few main things I wanted to point out. Also, just to add, from what I've seen all staff members are currently great examples of what a staff member should be like.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    basically this is just a tl;dr since most of the things i want to say are already said, but nevertheless, here goes.

- Have an amazing personality

I'm not saying you should be always optimistic, and such (even though that does give plus points) but all we need is a person that everyone loves, whether you be the nicest person on PC, or the sassiest sass on the planet.

- Active in the forums

A good staffer should be known outside their own section. There are some mods, that I don't even know they existed until they got modded, since they aren't active outside their forums. H-staff should be more notable here since they are visible everytime :x

- Act with emotion, not with monotone

- I notice that some mods prefer that when they lock threads, they just tell what went wrong and just say Locked. after. I mean that's good and all, but sometimes, I can't help but cringe at the OP, since being all monotone and stuff kinda lowers their self-esteem or something like that?

- Assertive but not bossy

Self-explanatory, really. Try to make the regulars feel like they are contributing to something. Maybe ask their opinions on something you are not sure of, but feel like you could share, early on.

That's basically my 2 cents on this :x

Years
    I think the biggest thing staff members should strive for, like a lot of others have said, is to remain active and friendly and to remain integrated with the non-staff members of the community. At the same time though, I think it is good that most staff members take their job with some degree of responsibility and act in the interests of creating and maintaining a forum community that people enjoy being a part of.

Last edited:
    Back