• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You're 22?!

Years
    People think I'm 35 online and like 20 irl (especially after I shave). It's pretty hilarious.

Just three years ago (I was 25) I was asked whether I was old enough to vote and last year (27) I was refused a promotional gift because "only people over 18". But when I'm talking to someone online, their first reaction is guessing I'm a very middle-aged adult because how in hell does a 20-something guy know so much about complex life stuff. It's... weird.

Ageism sucks; I've suffered through it very actively as well. :c

(Gdi autocorrect)

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Pretty often, especially when my face was clean shaven. I'm small and I guess have a natural babyface, so I end up look 18-20, even though I'm 23.

Years
    Nope, not really. However I am never usually asked about my age nor do people really comment about it.

However i will get comments usually if i fully shave after having a beard that grew out a bit

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Yep. Every now and then I'll tell them my real age and they'll say "Oh I thought you were younger than that" and I hope it's because I look younger and it's not my maturity that's making them think that oof. I never bother to ask because I don't really wish I know the answer

Years
    I look about 20-21, so when I say I'm basically 30 they're like what?
    My salonist when I last had my hair cut was only 22, I felt so old.

Years
    The band I mainly work with is largely 18 or 19. The management group I do it under consists of 20-year-olds.

Most assume I'm about their age, which makes any mention of my age all the more unsettling.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I'm 20, but I've been mistaken to be 21-24 by most people I've ever worked with.

However, that's usually based more on my demeanor and personality than my appearance.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I'm 20, but I've been mistaken to be 21-24 by most people I've ever worked with.

However, that's usually based more on my demeanor and personality than my appearance.

Wait, what, you're younger than me...?

I'm surprised by how many people said they are mistaken for being younger in this thread, didn't expect such a response, lol. Guess a lot of people are in for eternal youth, then! (Like me)

Years
    I've had a few early 20s but otherwise people think I'm older lol...

I've actually had a few moments like it myself, thinking people are in their 20s only to find out they're in their 30s!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I've had a few early 20s but otherwise people think I'm older lol...

I've actually had a few moments like it myself, thinking people are in their 20s only to find out they're in their 30s!

a man that is after my bones is fast approaching 30 this month and looks no older than 18........

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    ^ That's my struggle. People way younger seem to be after me, only to find out that I'm about ten to twelve years older than they thought I was.

I'm like I'M SORRY, I'M DEFINITELY NOT 18. I JUST LOOK LIKE A CHILD. 😭

Cid

Years
    Here in the Philippines, not too often. I look pretty much like any average 23 year-old Filipino. I'm sure if I go to the U.S. though, I'd get mistaken to be younger.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I'm 27, but people assume I'm like 18, 19 years old sometimes like 20 or 21. I've had customers at work assume I was still in high school cause like most 17 year old boys totally have a full beard lol right. When I'm unsahven I've been told 16-18 though so I only kinda see it face-wise.

Years
    People generally assume I'm in my 30s, and a lot of it apparently has to do with my beard (probably also my gut and my eyes, too). It's been this way since my early 20s. I say I'm 28 but look 38 when the topic comes up, lol, and it's probably not far off how old people think I actually am.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I was at dinner last night with some family friends and they said I will always look 15

Years
    I'm 18 and it's quite interesting because certain people assume I'm 16 or 17 while others ask me how I'm enjoying university and tell me I look 19 or 20. Older adults typically overestimate my age while younger adults underestimate my age. It's rather peculiar.

Last edited:
    Back