• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

nails

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • So the other day I was moving around some boxes for work and ended up dropping the corner of one of them onto my pinky toe. Didn't realize until several hours later that it had broke the toenail apart, so when I took off my sock the shards of it had gotten lodged into the fabric and I ended up pulling about half of my toenail off. There was a nice puddle of blood in the tub when I was cleaning it, and I realized that it had broken and tore away all the way up to the fold but only on one side.

So my question would be, has anyone else ever had something like this happen to them? Do you know about how long it took for the nail to grow back? An old friend of mine had something similar happen to his big toe and its nail when he was moving some automotive stuff, but I can't recall how bad it was or how long it took to grow back and so I came here.

Years
  • I had an infected toe and the doctor had to pull out the whole nail. This happened 14 years ago and I don't remember how long it took for the nail to grow back. I think it took about a month or 2 months for it to grow back.

Years
    • Seen today
    The worst thing I've done is bitten my nails. I've never bled from doing it though.

Years
  • Once I had my finger slammed in a door and I lost the entire nail on my finger. I think it took months to grow back, maybe 6 before it was completely back to normal, but it was a long time ago. What I remember most was how weird it was to touch the skin under the nail because it's not used to feeling contact with anything.

Bay

Years
  • When I was in elementary school I had one of the drawers drop my big toe and pretty much my toenail got damaged. I had to wear sandals and bandaged that injured toe, and there was one incident where my bandage got torn and I needed to go to the school nurse haha. But yeah, I think it took maybe a month or two until it healed somewhat and a few months later until nail fully grown.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • once i lost my pinkie nail like, it ripped off bc i shut it in the door and it grew back, but it's never gonna look the same again. it looks different from all my other nails.

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I stubbed my toe once, it hurt so bad. :O

One of my friends in high school was helping move a lathe in metal shop, they dropped it right on at least one of his toes. As you can imagine, it pretty much destroyed them. I remember he ended up getting some kind of settlement with the school or something for it. :X

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I slammed my thumb nail in the safe at work last year, it was black for months. A new nail started growing underneath the damaged old nail, and subsequently got ripped off when I caught it on a drawer at work a few weeks ago. The new nail's fully grown now, so my thumb is normal looking again.

Also, i'm constantly snapping off/losing toe nails because I keep forgetting to cut them :/

User19sq

My index finger was once crushed by a chair, and the nail hung on by the bit of skin at the base for a week. My father used a razor to cut it off, and it grew back completely at some point...

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2018
    It'll grow back!!! I had my finger smashed in a car door as a little kid and it was awful, it peeled off, so bad!!! But they grow back and heal. My nails are gorgeous now a days!!! Won't hold any long term damage unless it happens continuously!!!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    ... i thought this was gonna be a nice chat about nailpolish ;;

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
    Years
  • My fingernails have chipped on some occasions though I'm not quite sure why. I don't chew my nails at all.

Maybe I was gripping some heavy object the wrong way? Guess I'd never know. 8D

And yes, this thread makes me a little bit uncomfortable.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've had this happen to my big toe as well, but mine was caused by a fall and it took off my entire nail instantly.
    Not pleasant, but now the nail is grown back in so it's good.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • My most common injury related to nails is a cracked / split nail due to dehydration - usually happens after a long haul flight annoyingly enough.

Back