• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

staffness on pc

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I remember a decade ago when "staff" on this pok?mon fansite by many was seen as an exclusive club with perks and secrets abound, and it was a goal for some people to work hard/get noticed and attain modhood one glorious day. Moderators was also the only staff position back then, while now we have about 923842 different roles and teams with internal organizations that have changed and re-changed over the years.

What do you think when you see a staffer (bold name) on PC these days? Do you just not really think about them unless you need them for something? Or do you wish to join the ranks and help out some day? this is v interesting ok

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I've always seen it as something to work towards no matter where I am. I have been on staff at other places and sometimes it can be a lot of work but it can always be rewarding. I know as a member of staff it can be intimidating to some people. I was like that back in the day (as old as that makes me sound...lol) and can still be like that sometimes now.

I know when I wanted to bring VPP over here I kind of was unsure because of how big it is but I was able to work things out with the Mods in Pokemon Trivia and everything went smoothly. :D

I'm always looking to join the ranks because I always love to help people out. I did get a taste of it a few years ago when I was on the Social Media team for a bit but things didn't go all to well at that time with my free time.

Years
With the constant name changing, I'm not even sure who's on staff anymore. And I'm one of the staffers!

But to be honest, I never imagined I would be on the "staf"f and never seek to be there, until one unnamed person came and said: "Yo, you're on the staff now, kiddo." And I had fun ever since...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'm always looking to join the ranks because I always love to help people out. I did get a taste of it a few years ago when I was on the Social Media team for a bit but things didn't go all to well at that time with my free time.
join us again pls ;; need more twitter and fb buddies

Years
I would be hecka down with you coming back, Caite. (????)*

I obviously don't think much about this given I've been staff since 2012 and have really grown used to it. Although being staff is of course super fun, the initial excitement will wear off after a while. Still very interesting to know who thinks what though since people who are on the team obviously won't experience the same types of thoughts haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't think much of it, but being an ex-staff member, especially when I was on staff for so long, I still have to remind myself that I'm not among the ranks anymore? Aha. It's weird, I still log on sometimes and expect to see the staff forums or open reports and it's been over a year now. But I definitely don't view staff like I did ten years ago, thinking they were elites or something, aha.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
I see staffers as members of an exclusive club of friends who have good chemistry with each other. As someone looking for my own exclusive club, I have a lot of respect for those kinds of people.

Also, ever since they got rid of most of the DCCs I just like to use their profile pages as an alternative for rants that don't deserve their own thread. :P

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
I think of them as Pok?Community's janitors. Most of them are upstanding members who try to keep this place clean. One or more might be in it for the shiny keys.

pkmin3033

I have to admit, I have off and on considered what it would be like to be staff on here. I've never really aspired towards it - it seems that wishing desperately to be staff is one of the things that disqualifies you from the role most places, haha - but there have been times when I've thought it'd be quite a nice thing to do. These days? Well, I guess it'd give me a reason to be more active, but I honestly hadn't thought about it at all this year until this topic. xD;

The staff here are all pretty cool. I think one or two might be out to get me though. Sometimes, when I look over my shoulder, I can feel a presence there...

Years
I remember back when I was a wee young teenager, I used to ALWAYS want to be staff. But that was because, to me (at least at the time), staff was basically like this huge clique. PC was more like high school and your social status depended on whether or not you could fit in with the cool kids, and of course that just happened to be the staff team.

Over the years this still held to be the case because staff at the time still felt rather "exclusive" and it seemed like popular/well-known users would get promoted, so I've looked up to those users as well.

Words couldn't express just how elated I was when I was asked to be staff! But really, it was nothing like I thought it was, and I say that in a good way! Sure, staff are close-knit, and I think that's a good thing in itself. But I realize that staff do more than just handle reports on a day to day basis and deal with troublesome users. I've realized that we play a much bigger role in this site's future; oftentimes discussing and shaping policy that would affect PC both in the short-term and in the long-term.

I really wouldn't have it any other way, if I'm honest.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
The posting style from the staff isn't much different from the normal user base, so I don't think too much of it.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
"Poor unfortunate souls"

Seconded. Ursula couldn't have said it better herself.

tumblr_max9imtO7k1qeqvaxo1_400.gif

As someone who has probably been staff, in the past, about as long as I have not been staff, I can say that helping with the back end of PC is quite a bit different than moderating and engaging with the front end. There is a lot of really difficult policy that goes down behind the scenes, but it is always with PC's best interests in mind, or at least it was three years ago when I was last staff. There is a really charming thing about seeing all of the section "leaders" (moderators) come together and discuss PC-at-large, Big Ideas, so on and so on.

But I do love bullshitting around as a regular user, too. Nothing more charming than that.

Years
The staff here are all pretty cool. I think one or two might be out to get me though. Sometimes, when I look over my shoulder, I can feel a presence there...

Just one? We have a thread in the staff forums dedicated to targeting you.

Jokes aside, I don't really think of staff as one big cohesive unit that all do everything the same. Some staff are just janitors really, but here on PC the majority of the staffers here go above and beyond the basic moderation tasks and are leaders, active community members, innovators, policy makers etc etc. Every staffer is a little bit different in how they go about their work and I think that's a part of why we work so well. It's not always smooth sailing to reach every decision but so many different perspectives go into everything we do that it lets us reach and end result that will please many more people.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Ah, being a PC mod. Good times. Gooooooooooooooooooood times.

I'd like to call myself retired. I feel like I did my time, and I'd like to see others do their part. I don't even know who's on staff anymore, only because I'm online when I can.

Staff are still regular members like us. They do try their best to represent PC in the best way possible.

Back