• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Living under a rock

Years
    • Seen today
    Are there any current trends or popularized things your not quite in with?

Like I'll list an example

I never got into discord. I figured out the basics, like making an avatar...muting notifications, and private messaging. My online presence is also rather small, which probably contributed to me feeling distant when it started getting popularized.

Of course the answer to this question could range from small to large, from not being into Facebook from not being into politics.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Social media

Never really had any interest in all that, and I suppose it was for the best anyway since supposedly most popular social media platforms are little more than cesspools now

Years
  • Social media

Never really had any interest in all that, and I suppose it was for the best anyway since supposedly most popular social media platforms are little more than cesspools now

This. Just so much this. I tried because my partner really wanted me to, but it's just not for me.

There's also so many hurtful people on there, I just can't take it :(

Years
    • Seen today
    Social media

I use Facebook, but not in the traditional sense.

I almost never post or upload photos, but I mass liked all pages revolving around hobbies or interests of mine and I use it as a news feed solely for that.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Never got into most major social media. Who was there to speak with? Created accounts on some. Barely used them.

Sidestepped popular music in general. Cared for nothing until midway through high school. Describes everything sounding like grade school choir songs. Never resonated with lyrics about romance, religion, or combining lime with coconut. Ran some popular music into the ground, also. (Example: "Who Let the Dogs Out". Attended a school with a dog mascot. Blared that regularly for a couple of years.) Soured interest there.

Gained some musical appreciation through band class. Listened more closely. Clicked with game music, likely due to positive association and attachment. Branched out slightly along those grooves over the years. Failed to expand to "normal" bands and singers.

Avoided fashion trends (or never left one since a very young age). Invests little effort into appearance. Is not trying to impress or attract interact with anyone. Feels fine with the current style. Why change?

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    animal crossing

like whats the big deal, it's the sims but chibi and with animals i guess? what makes it so popular? 🐷

Years
    • Seen today
    I was scrolling social media this morning and came across a story about a child who passed out from heat exhaustion on a school bus, because the driver wouldn't turn on air or let him put a window down. I did the regrettable thing and opened the comment section.

It was full of comments from older adults criticizing the child. Stuff like "Maybe the child should toughen up" "Back in my day we didn't have air conditioning on the bus", "I rode on a hot bus everyday". Ignoring that maybe the child has a medical condition, the child doesn't have any control about passing out, air has been built into these buses to prevent these situations, or the simple fact that he's a child.

Social media can be a huge cesspool, and I don't blame anybody for staying away.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I have an entire laundry list of things I never got into. I was never into social media and while I had a Twitter account for a while, I never actually did any socializing with it. It was actually a very miserable experience and I ended up dropping it, never looking back.
    Online gaming is another big one. Never bothered with MMOs, never was into those online arena battleground things/MOBAs. I had some minor experiences with LoL and S4 back in the day, but it never was fun to me.
    Not a fan of pop music, either. My music taste is very much just video game music and maybe the occasional classical music or progressive rock. But that's it.

Years
  • I got a Facebook for dumping stuff off my switch, but other than that I don't use any social media apart from a couple forums.

Also never really been into PvP games and try to avoid it as much as possible. Prefer Co-op or Single Player.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Social media

This so hard. Even when I was younger I didn't care. I occasionally use Facebook exclusively for talking to family but other than that I don't use nor have I ever used any other main social media. Snapchat who? Twitter when? Instahuh? Never used them, don't really see the appeal.

I do have TikTok though for the memes..does that even count though?

Years
  • Slang evolves faster than I can keep up with these days. It's insane. I feel like every month or so everyone around me is speaking a brand new dialect lmao

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Slang evolves faster than I can keep up with these days. It's insane. I feel like every month or so everyone around me is speaking a brand new dialect lmao
    boomer

Actually, are we still ok using that as a joke-insult or is it actually offensive? Idk. I guess I'm a boomer too.

Years
  • i don't have tiktok/instagram like a lot of irl people i know. my knowledge of pop culture is also severely lacking for the most part (i don't keep up with celebrity stuff, i don't watch a lot of tv shows/movies, things like that).

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Tik Tok. I just feel too old for that, even though most people my age are the ones using it. Also, definitely Discord and the """""pogchamp"""" Thing kids seem to say these days. a lot of the new slang just annoys me, and I don't wish to understand it.

Years
  • Youtubers, influencers, and streamers. Every day someone is talking about how some youtuber I never heard of did some bad thing. I had no idea who dream or Logan Paul are until twitter started on them.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I am very out of the loop with a lot of TV shows. I don't watch many TV series ever and can count on one hand how many shows I've watched a decent amount of, let alone finished. I would love to watch more TV shows but I find it so hard to focus and watch shows through to the end, in particular when there are multiple seasons. There are a lot of series I'm interested in checking out at some point because the plot sounds so interestimg but I need to find the time and focus to get through. I am definitely more of a reader as I like being able to pace quickly through content.

I was super out of the loop with video games for a few years. I lost total interest in video games after being very into them as a child and I barely played anything outside of games with friends if they asked. I think overall I've been out of touch with a lot of entertainment (TV, movies, games) when I lost a lot of interest in everything for a few years but I'm happy to say over the last year or two I've been finding things I enjoy again. Have really been liking video games again and it's exciting how many there are out there to still try. :)

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • Netflix, Disney+, and any other streaming platform. My parents don't believe in them, so I never had any of them. People be talking about all these shows on Netflix and stuff and I'm just sitting there, not knowing what to say.
    Genshin Impact. I'm trying to get into it, and I know a ton of people love it, but it just isn't clicking with me. Not to mention it drains my battery and takes up like 8 GB of data on my ipad.
    Tik Tok. I refuse to download it. My friends keep asking me to get it. I mean I'll watch tik tok compilations on Youtube, but I don't actually want to have it myself. (Yes, I know that sounds contradictory.)

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Netflix, Disney+, and any other streaming platform. My parents don't believe in them, so I never had any of them. People be talking about all these shows on Netflix and stuff and I'm just sitting there, not knowing what to say.
    This. My mother watches stuff on netflix but it's some old movies. I have no idea of what series and shows go on in there, nor do I have an interest in watching them. I just have a blank face when others talk about them.

Genshin Impact. I'm trying to get into it, and I know a ton of people love it, but it just isn't clicking with me. Not to mention it drains my battery and takes up like 8 GB of data on my ipad.
    Tik Tok. I refuse to download it. My friends keep asking me to get it. I mean I'll watch tik tok compilations on Youtube, but I don't actually want to have it myself. (Yes, I know that sounds contradictory.)

Yeah that's totally understandable. As for the 8GB I think that's excluding the updates? Because it takes around 12 GB for me on phone.
    I downloaded it back in its first few days so the noise around that time was low. I expected something like breath of the wild but it is largely gacha, so it turned out to be a wholly different experience from what I expected. It's TOO grindy but as long as I have fun I'll play it. It's also one way to connect with some of my friends.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • Oh I just thought of another one. Probably better than all the other ones I mentioned earlier. Among us. (I say and type "amogus" so much ironically that it felt weird to spell it correctly lol) The only reason I ever played it was my brother wanted all of the siblings to play together. Amogus is not fun with only 5 people. We only played 2 or 3 rounds before we stopped, and I never played it since. The only reason I had some semblance of a clue of how to play was through the memes. Pretty much all I know is that 1 person plays as the impostor and tries to kill everyone, and everyone else is a crewmate and they try to figure out who the impostor is. That's it. If you started playing the music, I wouldn't recognize it.

Thank goodness its popularity is finally dying down.

Years
  • I absolutely do not care about Instagram. Have an account since I wanted to upload my art there (along with other sites) a year or two ago, but it reduced the quality so much I just couldn't deal and immediately deleted the content and abandoned my account. I just...am not interested in using at all honestly, and the worst part is that it forces you to log in if you want to actually browse a user's profile. So because of that I've pretty much never checked anyone's profile/uploads. Sucks because I'm sure there are some cool things.

also tiktok

Back