• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did you fall out with the anime or stop watching?

Years
  • Curious guys!

When did you stop watching the series? I stopped right around when the Diamond and Pearl anime ended. I've not watched it ever since, and was told the later seasons are alright. What made you stop watching? As for me I just lost cable in my room, and just never bothered to watch the anime. I preferred watching the English Dub of the anime over the Japanese dub. I really just never bothered to go back or find any of the eps online back then.

Years
  • I stopped watching Pokemon between XY season. Reason why I stopped watching was because the episodes were not as good as the episodes from the Indigo League season and at times it felt like I was not watching Pokemon anymore and it felt like I was watching something else from all the seasons that were after Indigo League.

Years
    • Seen today
    Somewhere around the third or fourth Hoenn badge.

Reason: I felt like it was a total waste of time. The anime served its purpose as it introduced me to the games, but as I grew I started feeling that the anime was just atrocious, lacking in quality, extremely repetitive, and was just going nowhere because it was obvious that they'd just repeat the loop of Ash and Pikachu getting the eight badges, then losing in the League, then moving on to another region with a new team, rinse and repeat forever. I decided that there were way better things to watch (and do) than a pointless neverending loop.

Years
    • Seen today
    I stopped watching the Pokemon anime somewhere at the end of the Sinnoh arc. Ash Ketchum used to be my favourite hero of all time, but now I think the anime writers milk him out.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I didn't really "fall out" with the series, so to speak. I was never really a regular watcher; I only tuned in for specific episodes to see my favourite Mons or characters, and watched scenes on YouTube for writing/drawing reference.

I have to admit though, I was less motivated to check out new episodes after the S/M arc. Some of it boils down to IRL circumstances like growing apart from the friend group I used to follow the anime with and practically fleeing from the larger fandom after the backlash concerning Goh's controversial captures, but another part of it stems from the fact that S/M itself was a pretty unique and charming season, and Journeys just can't measure up to it. This said, I would be shocked if Journeys actually were the very last season of the anime as a whole, but if it is... it's not really the highest note to go out on.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    I stopped watching after BW. I wanted to take a break. I'll probably start XY in the spring sometime.

Years
  • Hard question. I first stopped watching original series after Johto Adventures, simply because Master Quest didn't air in my country. I did return to it and finished Johto arc later in life.

Then I started watching DPPt era and watched all the way to BW. I think I fell out some time during the Gym Battle with Skyla.

I started watching XY, but only made it few episodes before dropping it. Same with Alola. I couldn't really find time to watch, but I kept on track with what was happening in the anime.

Now, I watch Journey from time to time, but rather just read about the episode and only watch battles that interest me.

Years
  • I had a few fallouts. First was Sinnoh, lost interest quickly since Dawn never caught my attention as a protagonist and at that point the episodes were far too same-y with the same repeated Team Rocket plot. So I didn't watch 95% of it. I was tired of it being Team Rocket catches x, gets fought off a lot of the time... feel it was especially bad in Sinnoh. :x

Interest came back with Unova. Loved Cilan and his Japanese VA a lot! Watched until about halfway and then fell out of it again for no real reason - just got distracted. Saw some eps after the halfway point but never properly caught up.

Skipped 98% of XY. Wasn't interested in it for some reason, maybe Kalos as a region didn't catch my eye? I also didn't particularly care for Ash's team or Ash-Greninja.

Alola was when I really got back into it. Love the charaters, region, and feel of the series altogether by that point. Art style took a little bit to grow on me but did strongly in the end. Miss it so much! <3 It also had the best battle in the series to date AKA Ash vs Kukui.

Currently watching Journeys and have seen all the episodes.

So I mostly just fell out of it with Sinnoh and Kalos, as well as the latter half of BW. I also may not have seen all of the second half of Hoenn since that's when I transitioned to watching the Japanese version (didn't like the VA change for the dub) but couldn't always access episodes at the time.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I can't remember exactly when I stopped, but nowadays I only care about the first four generations of the show.

Years
    • Seen today
    I have memories of a bit of Original Series - namely, images from the Sudowoodo episode are seared into my brain - and Advanced from when I was a kid, but I got really into the anime during Sinnoh. Watched a few episodes of BW as it seemed like Pokémon was making a resurgence - guys at school I hadn't heard talk about the games since DP had pre-ordered - but I just got bored. I think I nearly quit Sinnoh tbh, but I was behind - binging at an insane rate to catch up (out of joy, not as a slog) but I was running out of steam, then I heard Ash actually fought a legendary in the main series. I know people have strong feelings about Tobias, but I was so glad that a) it showed legends could be beaten whilst also showing how OP Dark Void was and b) my favourite at the time, Latios, won the match!

But yeah, other than the Arceus episodes that are on Netflix, and a brief attempt to restart Original Series (probably did about 30 episodes) when it first appeared on the streamer, I haven't watched. Probably won't ever. Glad they finally let Ash win a league though!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I've only had three major fall outs with the anime. One was Sinnoh after the... 5th Badge I think. It was the longest pokemon series and it nearly killed pokemon for me entirely. I hadn't even heard about HGSS and Platinum until like a year after they were out. About a month or two for HGSS. However when Unova was announced, Sinnoh League Victores had just started I think and I started watching it again, even though there were massive gaps of fillers. So I didn't watch it full again till 5th Gen.

The second was the Decolore Archipelago while I enjoyed some episodes, most I just didn't care about. I feel like them skipping the Plasma vs Rocket Episodes completely destroyed this series because they finished way too early and had to add so many fillers before Kalos.

The third time was Alola after the first 10 to 20 episodes. I just completely lost interest in it because it was such a massive downgrade from XY and just hated how they handled it. I did enjoy the small arcs like Nebby, Necrozma, and Ultra Beast Arcs. But it is the only series where I've never seen every episode and have no desire.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Pokemon Journeys is about to be my headcanon series finale and this is about to happen to me if Goh is the MC from this moment onward.

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I remember watching the entire series (Kanto-Johto) up until (Haruka) May's debut episode, I guess the format of the Johto episodes were a bit boring so I eventually did not watch the Pokemon anime up until Pokemon Journeys tbh...

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • I grew up watching the original series and a little of the advanced generation, but then went on the entirety of middle and high school without watching anything more. I really want to say that, if memory serves me right, during college I attempted to rewatch the original series, but unfortunately didn't make it too far; my childhood memories made it seem different than the reality of it, but we've all been a victim to that kind of thing upon becoming adults, no?

Anyway. I skipped some generations and heard some good stuff in regards to X & Y (especially the Ash glow up memes- how could I not grow curious). So I gave it a whirl and lo & behold… I kinda got into it. I watched most of it, skipping some episodes here and there. So imagine my shock when Sun & Moon was announced and what it would entail.

Haven't touched the anime since. Might return one day when I have the time since Journeys looks intriguing.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    I saw reruns of Sinnoh League Victors when it aired on TV in my country, and watched until the Decolores Island arc in Best Wishes. I can't remember why I stopped watching after that.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I only ever watched sporadically when it ran on TV when I was a kid, and somewhere in the Johto arcs I started missing most eps. I still saw a lot of the Hoenn adventures too but missed the "story parts". Similar with Sinnoh. I tried to watch both the Unova and Kalos and Alola arcs but grew bored of them quite fast. So I suppose I've never really been into the anime x) I admit the Alola show was quite entertaining though, in a much more refreshing way than the Unova one tried.

Back