• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1gb used to be a lot

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Now a gigabyte is probably considered too little.

What do you think is a "lot of storage"? I honestly think a petabyte sounds like quite a lot since the terabyte is now pretty much the standard, I think.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    several terabytes at a minimum

filesizes for some shit these days are so much that anything less is not enough

Years
  • ten terabytesnot to be confused with my username from 8 years ago

one is not enough for me right now, and i am really looking at getting an ssd that's at least 2 terabytes or more to replace it

Years
  • Tech advances incredibly fast, and files get so much larger the more detailed they are. A petabyte is indeed way more than I think I'll ever need for the next couple decades. With my work, I believe I can survive with around 10TB for a decade or so.

Years
  • i have 1tb of storage in my current pc that i'm nowhere even close to filling which should tell you about how much space i use

Roxas

[span="color: #d10303; font-size: 10px; letter-sp
    Years
  • Multiple tb would probably be a very comfortable storage space for me personally. It would take me likely years of purposefully trying to fill that up before it was filled.

Buuuuut I also remember a time when I downloaded skyrim for the first time and was gobsmacked by the fact they could fit 6-8 gigs of data on a disc so....

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    surprised this thread isn't already outdated. storage space, depending on what your jobs/hobbies are, is quite a valued commodity to have in bulk imo.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Games do demand some big storage spaces, frankly I'm quit content with 1TB space far.

Years
  • My Mom works as a nurse, and frequently encountered pharmaceutical reps who'd give her free pens/USB drives, which she'd give to me. Back in the day they'd be 256MB.

It's funny to think that now, you can literally have multi-GB (or even TB) SD-cards that are a sliver of the physical size of those USB-drives, which couldn't even fit more than one copy of Pokémon Black/White.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Literally depends on what content is used for, since not all files are created equal.

For anything "media" (music, movies, artwork) I consider 2TB to be an acceptable minimum these days; the advent of more bloated movie encodings and higher resolutions will double that minimum around once every 6 years.

For documents and personal stuff? I think I can live comfly with 500 GB. And that's counting the space for a weekly backup that I'm too lazy to do anyways.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    At least 1TB is the minimum for me, especially since 2 of my hobbies are photography and gaming. All those NEF and JPG files really add up, while modern non-indie games tend to require around 30-50GB minimum. And that's not getting into AAA titles requiring at least 80-100GB. 1 Petabyte sounds incredibly massive lol - I can't possibly imagine requiring 1PB of storage within the next few decades @_@

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • I think it depends on the scenario, a streaming stick or box, 16gb can be considered too much (in point of case, me and my fire tv cube). Phones and tablets, if you take a lot of pictures and/or download a lot of apps even 128gb is not enough to keep up (and i been with 64gb or less until about a year ago, talk about pain, just from excessive apps) but i feel 256~512gb for phone and tablet storage is starting to become the better balance, though some still prefer 128gb, anything under 32gb is a crime now a days though, hell even below 64gb in most cases. laptops and desktops depend if you use your laptop a lot and its your main computer and/or dont have a desktop or rarely use it, then 256gb roughly is a decent soft spot, least for me. However if its your main pc and again probably dont have or rarely use a desktop then might wanna hit at least 512gb to roughly 1tb because it can fill up fairly quickly, depending on what you do. Desktop for me at least i have 6tb (2tb boot drive and 4tb game drive) its insane how "few" games i have installed and how much of the 4tb i have left. Desktop is really where high storage volume is key because it will eat it up, least in gaming cases, idk about other scenarios.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Even back in 2006, I found 1GB to be frustratingly limited for my iPod Nano I got at the time. I'm sure it was considered large at some time, but I don't think I remember that time. lol

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
    Years
  • Because I mostly only play indie games, 1TB is still a whole lot to me. Also, I'm poor lol so my computer only has 256GB storage. I do have this old hard drive thats 1TB because the IT department my brother worked at was gonna get rid of it, so he got that for me :D but yeah

Years
  • Even back in 2006, I found 1GB to be frustratingly limited for my iPod Nano I got at the time. I'm sure it was considered large at some time, but I don't think I remember that time. lol

i think ipods were like an exception to the storage size wars back in the day. if i'm not mistaken, the higher end ipod models were even at 20 or 30 gigabytes in size, and this was back in like 2004 or 2005 lmao

Years
    • Seen today
    It really depends on what use I'm using for whatever the task is. If it's music and whatnot, 1TB is plenty, but if it's photos, even 256GB is a lot. But, if it's my games and whatnot, 1TB is definitely not enough for my whole entire library across all my consoles and PC.

Years
  • 1TB is a lot to me lol, I've never had a computer with more than 500GB (SSD). I hardly use the storage since I barely download any files, already have my drive to store important large files if needed.. so 500 is more than enough. 1TB will be a lot for a long while to come!

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • Seconding that 1TB is a lot to me, I have two 1 TB SSDs and they give me plenty of space and even my 64GB USBs have more than enough space for what I need most of the time with storing files. I'm not like downloading movies or anything but I have a few YouTube videos downloaded as well as a ton of image and video files saved onto Hydrus, not to mention PC games. Both still have 600GB of space left.

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
    Years
  • 1 TB also sounds like a heck of a lot to me too. And then 8 GB of RAM at some point was considered a lot of RAM, but now it's the standard amount in a lot of laptops. The 4 GB of RAM I had in an older potato laptop was considered good at some point in time.

I remember this one time I was in like 3rd grade maybe and my father gave me one of his old USB drives for a school project. It could only hold 256 MB. Now I have a USB drive that can hold up to 64 GB.

Technology ✨

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    ten terabytesnot to be confused with my username from 8 years ago

one is not enough for me right now, and i am really looking at getting an ssd that's at least 2 terabytes or more to replace it
    i still think that was a good name on you ^^

Back