• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Meet Wiglett, the barely announced new Pokémon that isn't Diglett

Meet Wiglett, the barely announced new Pokémon that isn’t Diglett

Meet Wiglett, the barely announced new Pokémon that isn’t Diglett

Diglett do determinedly dig deeply, but so will Wiglett while waving wildly.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • wig flew

Part news article, and part analysis and opinion on how they revealed Wiglett. LMK your thoughts!

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    What the actual f is that?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Hoped for it to be a trap, like an angler fish's light. Waited for something underneath the sand to spring up.

Feels like someone trying to get around a ban on regional forms on Kanto Pokemon. "Diglett? No. Designed a brand-new Pokemon. Named it...uh...Wiglett." Could have at least fused it with Wigglytuff.

Brought up an interesting comparison with the Garden Eel. May have tried to create that first. Resembled Diglett too much. Decided to make it an unofficial regional form instead. Could still salvage it with a Garden Eel-like evolution.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Huh, so the rumours about convergent evolution forms weren't so wild after all! I'm mixed on the reveal being so stealthy, but I find this Mon super cute, possibly just as much as Diglett. If there's something they're getting spot-on so far, it's the regional forms and totally-not-regional-forms!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Meh..... just looks like Paldean Diglett imo, but now stretchy....
    But if it's supposedly not Diglett, than it's probably a regional evo for Diglett. I'm not a fan of the stretched out regional evos they've been doing.

The regional forms for Paldea so far are unimpressive imo.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    kinda weird to make it look so much like a regional Diglett form and then claim it's not

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I swear Pokémon is getting more and more disappointing with the laziness of their designs and regional variants. Regional variants are by far the worst thing to ever happen to Pokémon. As for Wiglett, I hate it, think the design is lazy and uninspired, and think that the developers must think we're foolish by telling us it's not a regional variant. "Wiglett" should have been the name of Alolan Dugtrio if that's the case!

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    Paint a Digglet in white, stretch it, and you have a "new" Pokémon.

It would be fine if it was Diglett's line first regional variant... but it's not, do we really need two for this?
    Same joke isn't as funny the second time, at least give regional forms/evos to Pokémon that didn't already get one. At this point we're not far from Game Freak creating a new Kanto Pokémon regional form for every region.

Years
  • The nose is really cute. Wiglett sort of reminds me of a creature you would see from Super Mario. Diglett/Dugtrio are one of my favorite ground type Pokemon. I have no idea what type Wiglett is and it looks like water/ground type which is one of my favorite type compo.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • So, is Wiglett a worm Pokemon? I think it's pretty cute, honestly, I did hear a rumor about "Paradox Pokemon" and wonder if that's what this is supposed to be.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I hope this thing ends up being Water/Ground with massive stats. Yes, I'm that desperate to wanting the upcoming games to be easy. I really do think I went insane.

As for the design itself, while I know the memes are probably going to be entertaining, I'm a but meh on the actual design so far, although hopefully it'll grow on me.

Also just found out about the animal it was based on too, so… good job on that.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Added Wiglett to the official site.

Category: Garden Eel Pokemon
    Type: Water
    Ability: Gooey/Rattled
    Weight: 4 pounds (versus 1.8 and 2.2 for Kanto Diglett and Alolan Diglett, respectively)
    Height: 3 feet, 11 inches

Doubts this to be the final evolution, personally. May gain a second type then.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • A new trailer has been posted on the official Pokémon channel on YouTube! You can watch it here.

Oh my God, its cry is one of the cutest sounds to ever come from Pokémon. I think I might need a moment... 🥺

Years
    • Seen today
    I like it more than the original diglett, but my overall opinion could change depending on the evolution.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    I hope this thing ends up being Water/Ground with massive stats.

It can't have massive stats, since alternate/regional evos have the same BST as their counterparts. Unless it's a special third stage like Obstagoon, but I don't imagine something like this getting three stages :)

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    It can't have massive stats, since alternate/regional evos have the same BST as their counterparts. Unless it's a special third stage like Obstagoon, but I don't imagine something like this getting three stages :)

Disagrees on equal stats, on the grounds (no pun intended) of Wiglett being distinct from Diglett. Went out of their way to not make it Paldean Diglett. Also seems silly to have two statistically similar Pokemon side-by-side, especially with Terastallizing being a thing.

Expects this Pokemon to be more defensive than Diglett. Gave it Gooey (see: Tangling Hair clone) and Rattled. Feels like odd options for a glass cannon like Dugtrio. (Did not stop them from giving Tangling Hair to Alolan Dugtrio, admittedly.) Hopefully gave it more stats, in that case. Empathizes with a defensive Pokemon trying to make it on a 425 Base Stat Total and (currently) underwhelming abilities. Rivals middle evolutions of starters. Confirmed Jumpluff and Sunflora in this region, though, so...

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • It can't have massive stats, since alternate/regional evos have the same BST as their counterparts. Unless it's a special third stage like Obstagoon, but I don't imagine something like this getting three stages :)

While I was half kidding, we do know that this isn't like the usual regional variant and were told it's more of it's own thing, so we can't be too sure if the same rules applied to regional variants are also gonna apply here.

Years
  • He looked so silly to me originally but I am suddenly staring to like him?? Someone pointed out that Alolan Dugtrio looks like it could be called Wiglett too and I find that hilarious lol.

Back