• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you have a least favorite type?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • None for me, but I think I'll need to explain my take on why Rock and Ground are separate.

Rock represents: actual rocks or stones or hard objects made of such.
    Ground represents: sand, soil, mud, tectonic movement.

Although yes, the confusing part is that technically, in real life, the ground is made of rock, rocks can decompose into sand or soil.

In spite of two types being based on the same thing, they do perform and represent different roles as mentioned above. This is like saying Water and Ice should be the same thing as Ice is water as a solid, and maybe to an extent Fair and Psychic should be the same.

Even with the designs of the creatures with the types: note that the Rock mons are known to have more 'hard' and 'more defensive' designs.

So yeah, why I believe Rock and Ground are separate. A flyer would not be affected by the earth shaking, but would if a hard or sharp object strikes it. Honestly, I think I might have to make another thread to explain this same thought on why Rock and Ground are different as well as so everyone else can hang out there and talk about the two type's differences. Like I said, they are similar, but because they portray different things, I can see why they are separate types.

Years
  • None for me, but I think I'll need to explain my take on why Rock and Ground are separate.

Although yes, the confusing part is that technically, in real life, the ground is made of rock, rocks can decompose into sand or soil.

In spite of two types being based on the same thing, they do perform and represent different roles as mentioned above. This is like saying Water and Ice should be the same thing as Ice is water as a solid, and maybe to an extent Fair and Psychic should be the same.

Even with the designs of the creatures with the types: note that the Rock mons are known to have more 'hard' and 'more defensive' designs.

So yeah, why I believe Rock and Ground are separate. A flyer would not be affected by the earth shaking, but would if a hard or sharp object strikes it. Honestly, I think I might have to make another thread to explain this same thought on why Rock and Ground are different as well as so everyone else can hang out there and talk about the two type's differences. Like I said, they are similar, but because they portray different things, I can see why they are separate types.

ok you may have just convinced me to keep rock and ground separate. i also did some bulbapedia-ing, and realized that pretty much all the Rock/Ground types are only from Gen 1&2 (the only Gen 2 mons being Larvitar & Pupitar). huh.

also did a bit more research into poison type, and i just realized another reason why i dislike it so: from Gen 2-5 (so pretty much the only games i've played) it was only super effective towards Grass and nothing else. they removed Bug type super effectivity after Gen 1... what...

Years
  • The rock-type. It has a lot of weaknesses, and the fact most powerful Rock-type moves tend to have an accuracy under 100% isn't really good. There are some cool rock-type Pokemon though, my favorite rock-type Pokemon are Tyranitar and Tyrantrum.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Probably psychic. They used to be really cool and powerful and now I consider them mediocre and outclassed. I rather put a ghost or a dark type on my team than a psychic.

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years

A work around this is to consolidate rock and ground into one type, Earth. Then you would eliminate the 4x weakness. Flying would still have it's immunity against Earth. "Rock moves" would still exist, have the Earth typing but, still be effective against flying, bug, ice, etc. Think of freeze-dry and flying press move mechanics.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    To further the point that current engines can deal with harder settings than just "immune to all moves of one type", we already have a Ground move that can hit non-grounded targets: Thousand Arrows.

And I really think we should have more of those. Not every Ground type move screams "flying types should be immune to me".

The most obvious ones being Bone Club, Bone Rush, Bonemerang, Mud Bomb, Mud Shot, and of course, Thousand Arrows. They're all fundamentally projectiles and there's no real reason non-grounded Pokémon should be immune to them.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • A work around this is to consolidate rock and ground into one type, Earth. Then you would eliminate the 4x weakness. Flying would still have it's immunity against Earth. "Rock moves" would still exist, have the Earth typing but, still be effective against flying, bug, ice, etc. Think of freeze-dry and flying press move mechanics.

Yeah, was thinking of something like that myself. The part where you mentioned about making the rock based earth attacks being coded to hit flyers could work too.

Hell, maybe even make it like an Earth type but only moves like Earthquake and Bulldoze and the like cannot hit flyers. Because like the above post stated, I can't see the logic of Mud shot or any bone attack not being able to hit a flying target, because you are basically using a projectile, which should definitely hit someone regardless if they are floating.

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • Yeah, was thinking of something like that myself. The part where you mentioned about making the rock based earth attacks being coded to hit flyers could work too.

Hell, maybe even make it like an Earth type but only moves like Earthquake and Bulldoze and the like cannot hit flyers. Because like the above post stated, I can't see the logic of Mud shot or any bone attack not being able to hit a flying target, because you are basically using a projectile, which should definitely hit someone regardless if they are floating.

Agree 👍

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Fairy. I don't hate it but it's the one I'm less familiar with. Plus I think there could have been cool designs from this typing but instead, all of them seem to just be cutesy. My favorites from this type are Mimikyu and Mawile.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • For some reason I just really dislike the Ground type. Something about just feels...boring? I'm not sure how to put it.

I'm also not the biggest fan of how poorly treated Grass is as a type. I mean, why even give us a Grass-type starter when Water is pretty much a superior type? Fewer weaknesses, fewer things that resist it, and both types even share super effectiveness to Rock and Ground.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I have a hard time coming up with a specific type. Maybe it's because I always find at least one Pokemon of that type that I like?

If I had to go with a type it'd be Electric. I feel like it has a lot of similar designs. Though, it also happens to be the type that has all the Pikachu clones, so that may explain it somewhat. I do like Plusle, though. Easily the cutest Pikachu clone!
    I don't know why, but a lot of the designs just seem so forgettable...The Magnemite line is cool, though, and so is Zapdos!

Also Electric only having one weakness is kind of strange.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Rock is my least favorite type for many of the reasons already mentioned. Huge weaknesses, questionable accuracy, and low speed cause me to pick other Pokémon. I did use Rhyperior, Lunatone, and Lycanroc on some of my playthroughs. Can't think of anything else really. I do like Tyranitar and Aerodactyl though.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2021
    According to the point ranking I created, Normal is apparently my least favourite, though I think that mostly because so many of its members fall into the 'average' zone, and then are dragged down by the likes of Miltank and Ambipom. Snorlax is my 7th favourite Pokémon however, and a fair few Normal types are placed very highly.

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • Fairy. I don't really hate it, but I remember the pain in my chest when my favourite types were Dark, Dragon and Fighting and suddenly "Hey, we got a new type and it destroys Dark, Dragon and Fighting-types!" I mean, I'm okay with Dragon and Fighting, but Dark is not that good of a type if you really look at it, there was no need for another weakness, no matter how much it makes sense. It does, though.

Not to mention I do think Fairy-type is kinda overpowered. Like steel in a way, but imo steel is such a secondary typing that it hardly matters outside of bulk. Prior to Fairy-type, why'd you ever run steel for coverage?

But yeah, I have used tons of them. Mawile is my second favourite mega after Banette, I love Mimikyu, Ninetales and Grimmsnarl and have also used Clefable, Gardevoir and Togekiss.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'd say I fluctuate between Rock/Ground, and Fighting. Rock and Ground are like, pretty much indistinguishable from one another, but that's honestly the only reason I dislike either one so it's not really fair to say that the types themselves are what I dislike, just how they compare to one another. And Fighting is just underwhelming? In designs, in color palettes, and in what they do combat wise.

Back