• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you play MMOs?

Years
  • MMORPG
    noun
    an online role-playing video game in which a very large number of people participate simultaneously.
    Do you play, or have you played, any MMOs? Which ones were you most into? Do you still play? Ooor are you not into this type of game?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Not currently. Gravitated heavily towards single player stuff. Liked the idea of playing with others. Found it intimidating (and not that fun) in practice, usually. Brought up some unbecoming behavior at times too.

• World of Warcraft: Played this for quite a while. Barely grouped with anyone in Vanilla and Burning Crusade. Almost always involved a class quest when it did happen. Delved into more group content in Wrath of the Lich King. Shied away from that again in Cataclysm and Pandaria. Stuck to some lower stakes group content.

Played a mage, primarily. Created multiple alts. Switched to shaman as a main in Pandaria because of the mage changes. Disliked that. Played a part in breaking the spell.

Still feels its fangs on occasion. Knows better than to return.
    • Lord of the Rings Online: Started with roommates. Occasionally completed some scenarios together. Liked their free-to-play model. (Earned points or something for playing. Unlocked paid content with enough.) Was never that engaged with it. Found the Minstrel class kind of boring.
    • Rappelz: Also began with roommates. Was not very invested in this either. Heavily disliked their system of overleveling for some small, permanent stat buff, then reseting your level. (Forgets the precise mechanic.) Acted as the banker for them. Made some good (in-game) money.
    • Perfect World: Same as the two previous. Never caught on with anyone, really.
    • Swords and Potions: Played with other people from a forum. Describes it as alright. Outlasted everyone else by a ways. Turned super grindy at the end. Assumed a full guild. Was definitely not that.
    • Therian Saga: Banded together with more members from the above forum. Revolved around tons of real-time crafting and some turn-based combat. Largely only interacted with random people through the auction house. Included some guild content that required several areas of expertise. Wrote several guides for the game too.

Liked the complexity, even if it was esoteric at times. One example: potions. Combined herbs to make stuff. The stats for herbs: Accelerating, Activating, Calming, Energizing, Focusing, Fortifying, Invigorating, and Stimulating. What did each potion want? Who knows? Figured out good recipes by trying everything with everything and looking at the product preview.

Found some old screenshots of Therian Saga. Illustrates some of the complexity better.
      Spoiler: Screenshots

Giant Plains Store.png
      Allowed you to create buildings and workshops (that only you could see and use). Recalls Comfort being for beds and regaining energy. May have affected NPC henchmen you can recruit (and automate). Probably improved yields for the tasks with Prestige. Had to beat the Plains stat with the items (which, in this case, was a non-factor.)

Oh, right. Tossed in some meaningless stats too. Spots Durability on there, for example. Never came up in any part of the game.

Lower Depths Map V3.png
      Not a screenshot. Created this in Paint for the guide. Mapped out one of the dungeons, along with the major quest stuff and some extras. Navigated it by selecting options of where to go. Required beating a certain terrain score AND a skill score (such as Urban + Engineering) for many checks. Displayed an illustrated map for most dungeons with spaces you walk between, but not this one.

Behemoth Gorge Unmarked.png
      One of the more normal dungeons.

Norstria Companions.jpg
      And some companion stat blocks. (Did not grab their images.)

• Neopets: Edit: Forgot this. Totally counts. Played for several years. Took a loooooong break. Came back for nostalgia and grabbing a bunch of trophies. Called it quits once again. Considers restocking a very unique, if frustrating (particularly with bots), part of the game.
    • The Realm Online: Edit2: Also this one. Came out before the term existed. Was one of the first few MMOs.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I think PSO2 New Genesis is technically an MMO? It's the only thing I've ever played that would be close to an MMO anyway. Haven't played it much lately though, I hate dripfeed.

Years
    • Online now
    I put a ridiculous amount of time into Fantasy Online as a kid. Joined a clan and overall was super involved. I played each day after school.

Then it shut down without much warning. Killed my mood for them altogether. These days I would simply rather play a game with a definite ending anyways.

Years
  • I play early WoW, all the way until Wrath of the Lich King when I was younger and then returned to it during Legion and continued playing until Battle for Azeroth. I barely remember my character in the early WoW, I think it was Tauren Shaman, but I have a fond memories of my Legion character - Goblin Demonology Warlock. I loved summoning all kinds of demons. I also tried Mage after unlocking new races in Battle for Azeroth, to experience the Alliance side of the expansion, but I never even finished leveling that character up. I slowly fell out with the game and I think it's mostly because how boring Battle of Azeroth was. Especially for leveling up.

I don't think I'll ever return to it long-term, since I prefer single-player games more nowadays. But I might give a next expansion a try for a month or so.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • The only MMO I've ever played was Star Wars: The Old Republic, and even then, I only played it for its single player PvE content and never interacted with other people much.

I don't enjoy multiplayer gaming unless it's with people I already know.

Years
  • Only FFXIV. I don't really like MMOs overly much, but I play FFXIV with friends and the story is picking up enough now for me to keep at it.

Years
  • I don't think I've played any, but I still got TES Online sitting in my steam library, unplayed, so at least I own one? xD

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Adventure QuestWorld: Grind game, its just stale at this point, noting more than a dress up game typically
    MapleStory: It was quite fun, I forget my login info that point.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Did you know that the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV has a free trial, and includes the entirety of A Realm Reborn AND the award-winning Heavensward expansion, AND the lukewarm Stormblood expansion up to level 70 with no restrictions on playtime? Sign up, and enjoy Eorzea today!

I have played MapleStory and GaiaOnline MMO in the past.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I've been playing Star Trek Online the game is 14 years old and still going strong. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves making their characters or who just wants a great story. It's what go me into Star Trek I'd highly recommend this game.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

I play Final Fantasy XIV! Usually if there's something I'm trying to do on it I'll open it up every morning either daily or weekly and do whatever that may be, and then close it and continue with my day unless there's something I wanna stay online for like raids with friends or maybe a new quest or patch dropped or I'm after something specific. I just finished grinding up my island sanctuary to rank 20, I'm doing custom deliveries every week, and at some point I'll start the Hildibrand quests. Basically, unless something new drops that I'm interested in, I'll play it for a little bit periodically and then continue on with my day and I like having something long-term like that where I can just keep coming back and back to it every so often. I don't actively play it as much as a typical singleplayer game but it remains a part of my life. I like having one or two games I can grind something in and stay committed to long-term. Glamour and fashion and all that are half of what I play the game for. I just really like customizing my character and wearing cute outfits, that goes for any game.

I always consider XIV to be my first and only MMO but I guess I've played some of the kids ones growing up? If you consider stuff like Club Penguin, Fantage, and Neopets to be MMOs, I've had accounts on those and played them when I was a little girl. I was never too committed to them and definitely made several accounts because I forgot the usernames, but the minigames were always my favourites. I downloaded TERA but never actually sat down to play it, and there was this one MMO I played so many years ago that I remember nothing about, so I can't identify it. Whenever people have recommended stuff like Black Desert or KOTOR or WOW or all that, I've just turned them down cause I wasn't that interested in MMOs at the time or because the art style didn't agree with me or thinking they'd be too demanding, whether that's playtime or skill or what.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I haven't put an extensive amount of time into many MMOs; primarily only two: Runes of Magic and Guild Wars 2.

Runes of Magic: I got introduced to this game back in high school. It's basically a "WoW Clone" type of MMO, but with a genuinely cool dual-class system where you also got unique skills based off which combination of classes you picked. For example, I played as a Priest/Rogue for a while as a healer, which made all my casting times (for healing and damage spells) be shorter as well as getting several dark/shadow damage-over-time spells. I played it off-and-on for about 2 years until I had a fairly bad experience with another player in my guild and decided to overreact and make a completely new account on a different server. When I swapped servers, I had promptly found a new guild with lots of cool people and that's when I started to really get into MMOs. It was really fun doing things (be it quests, world bosses, dungeons/raids, etc.) with a decent-sized group of all friendly people who you see and communicate with on a regular basis. It was about 2-3 years after I joined this guild, that Guild Wars 2 released, and I found out that this guild originated from Guild Wars 1.

Guild Wars 2: On release, the levelling experience from 1-80 was actually pretty good and I legitimately enjoyed the crating system. However once I hit the level cap, there just wasn't much to do (yet). Additionally, the style of combat as well as the way you build/setup your character were completely different from what i was accustomed to. As a result, I had left the game for a few years and tried it again when their first expansion dropped. I still didn't find myself enjoying the game too much for the latter reasons listed above. Back in 2019 I gave it a shot again and you know what they say; third time's the lucky charm, or something? :p To this day I am still playing it, and absolutely love the combat now and can't look back.

Other Games: Every once in a while I have tried some other games, and have played them for maybe a few months, but no more. These include Runescape (I still recall endlessly mining in this game back when i was in elementary school), FF14 (I had some good times in ARR learning the game and dungeons alongside some of my friends, but man do I hate the combat pacing and GCDs), Rift and Tera (I don't remember much at all from either game).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • The only MMO I've ever really played is Final Fantasy XIV, which I am still fairly hopelessly addicted to. (Although since I've done most of what I'd ever want to in the game, I'm at least not hyperfocused on that alone and am back to playing other games too, haha.)

In the past I've also played a bit of Maplestory and World of Warcraft but in the former I will sometimes just pick it up for a week every few years, start over and play a lot, and then get bored. In the latter I played a bit with my roommates who were super into it once but I didn't want to play on my own and we never really got anywhere on the alts they made to play with me so I can't even really claim to know what the game is like. I kinda hate the art style in it though so I wasn't too mad about not getting into it after the initial time/money investment lol.

I'd always wanted to play Ragnarok Online back in the day but I could never figure out how to download it or get it running or something like that back in the day. The sprites always looked so cute though and I was sooo envious of my friends who did play it. (I think back then it also had a subscription fee though so I also wouldn't have been able to play it due to that, I'm sure.)

BWZ

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    I'd always wanted to play Ragnarok Online back in the day but I could never figure out how to download it or get it running or something like that back in the day. The sprites always looked so cute though and I was sooo envious of my friends who did play it. (I think back then it also had a subscription fee though so I also wouldn't have been able to play it due to that, I'm sure.)

Ragnarok was really great. My favourite MMO of all time. The maps and cute sprites had a lot to do with this, but it was genuinely a great game.
    Classes were so different from each other, it had maybe the best itemization system of any MMO to this day, and Guild vs Guild PvP is the best kind of PvP. I miss the guild rivalries, forum dramas, and the overall sense of community it created, something that I struggle to find in modern MMOs sadly.
    You really had to enjoy grindfests though. 0,01% item drops was pretty brutal lol

Last edited:

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • Only really played Final Fantasy 14, which... like most others here, I am still fairly addicted to.
    Other than that never really touched any other MMO's, and even then I started FFXIV 9 months ago and midway decided to not be a DPS anymore but to tank for the first time in my life not knowing anything

The reasons why i swapped are classified.

Back