• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you prefer single or dual-type starters?

Starter Pokémon are either single type or dual type, meaning they have either one type or two types when fully evolved.

Do you have a preference on one or two types? I've seen a conversation pop up recently about single-type starters (arguably) being better and wanted to see what others thought - or whether or not they cared much when it came to type combinations.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    I strongly prefer dual type starters, and dual type Pokemon in general. A second STAB type is so much more useful, and a dual type helps give each starter its own identity that isn't shared by its predecessors in previous generations. (Unless they repeat a secondary type like Infernape and Emboar did)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    A starter is more interesting when it has something that makes it different from its predecessors. Dual typings can help achieving this, but it's not the only factor. A starter may also be somewhat unique because of its move pool, signature move, hidden Ability, stat spread, battle role, or a combination of different aspects.

I mean... Meganium is a defensive, support Pokémon, and Sceptile is a mixed attacker sweeper, so even though they're both pure Grass types, their battle roles are very different, and you'll have a different experience playing with one or the other.

Dual typings are offensively allways a better option because obviously two stabs are better than one. But they sometimes also make team building more complicated, as it may result in more weaknesses or typing overlaps to worry about.

Last edited:

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
    Dual type starters 100%. I love the versatility in having an extra type in my roster fairly early, and it gives me a much bigger reason to leave the startermon on my team instead of benching it for something with more STAB potential later.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Dual-type. Feels too samey to get a pure Water, Fire, or Grass starter. Would be okay with a mono type starter if the three options changed.

Cosmega

Your feathered fella
    Years
    • He / Him
    • Home
    • Seen yesterday
    I think that dual-typed starters are very cool and can spawn interesting concepts and designs. Though, I believe that the base forms should be mono-type, so that new players can understand type advantages and weaknesses better. But if we're talking about final forms, yeah, dual-types are the best (still waiting for a Fire/electric starter…)

bent1l

currently playing: PokeMMO, Pokemon Unbound
    Days
    dual typing isn't even enough to make them different anymore. starters make up a decent portion of the pokedex, I want them to start diversifying those types! maybe one generation could be single types, but its another triangle outside of water grass and fire.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    No preference for me. I'm fine with single typed starters if there doesn't seem to be any possible sub typing fitting enough. And at least for say, the Water starters, it's cool to have only two weaknesses.

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
    Years
    I prefer dual types starters. My reasoning says that combining two types means more variaty on the learnset, and because only one type it's nothing to me :/

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
    Dual-type for sure, because they introduce the player to strategies when dealing with many type (dis)advantages from the word go. It gives the starters something extra to set themselves apart from the rest of the Pokédex early in, but risk diluting unique typing as the pool grows bigger.

Years
    I don't prefer either one, they both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Single type starters are more focused from a game design standpoint (seeing as the point of starters is essentially to teach the player type matchups) but dual type starters allow more creative designs and variety.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Whether a Starter Pokémon has a single or dual type doesn't really matter to me. Some of my favorite Starters such as Feraligatr and Serperior only have one type, while others such as Blaziken and Empoleon have two. It really depends on the Pokémon for me.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I don't really care either way, except with the case where not all the starters are dual typed in their generation when another is (gen 1, 3, 5.) Otherwise, I have no preference.

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    I think things like the design or appeal or anything are the most important, but I love seeing dual-type starters. I love how Sinnoh and Alola gave them all dual-types that were weak to each other (giving Infernape fighting to deal with Empoleon's steel, etc.) and I'd argue it makes them more interesting at a glance than just another grass/fire/water trio. There's a lot of cool ideas they could do for starters (mainly giving them unique abilities outside of hidden ones) and I think it's always a cool shake-up to see "oh, my grass starter becomes a ghost??"

Back