• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use/train all the shinies you get?

Years
Shinies are rare and usually a really fun achievement. When you get shinies, do you always train them up/use them, or does it depend on the shiny for you?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Only sometimes, especially postgame. Foresees no future in which some will be used. Example: Caught a shiny Garbodor in Sword recently. (Caused issues in Rotom Rally. Spawned behind and caused a wipeout sometimes.) Will never see a turn of battle. Keeps it in a box, untouched, in case of wanting the Effort Values a certain way some day.

Typically uses a shiny in a playthrough that allows it. One exception: Already built the team. Would not switch someone out just because of some shiny newcomer.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
The only shinies I've ever had were an Oddish from when I was young and didn't know what they were, which I didn't train and no longer have, and a shiny Kricketune, Ampharos, and Audino from a challenge run in Blaze Black 2 Redux, a romhack that, among other things, raised the shiny rate dramatically. I ended up using Kricketune and Ampharos for a couple gym badges before having to permabox them, and I couldn't use Audino at all because of the challenge run's rules.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
Years
Usually I only hunt them for the fun of it, but in the very rare case I find one super early into a run, I'll almost certainly make it a permanent member of that team.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
No, as I've gotten so many of them over the years (trades, PokeRadar, outbreaks, etc - plus dumb luck).

I've certainly tended to use (new) Shinies I encountered during an in-game run, and have used some Shiny Pokemon in Battle facilities or even VGC back when I did that more, just far from all or even most of them.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
If I'm looking for a certain Pokémon and it happens to come shiny, yeah, I'll take it.

Otherwise no, I wouldn't let a shiny interfere with my team building plans, unless it's early in the game and I don't have yet any plan. In older games I would also ignore a shiny that has bad Ability or Nature (even if it is the Pokémon I was looking for) if the tools to change that stuff are not existant or made available too late. No way I'm going to use a Hustle Togekiss or a Modest Lycanroc even if they're shiny.

Days
Only shiny in use :

Rayquaza
Venusaur
Obstagoon
Greninja
Palkia-Origin
Miltank
Cryogonal
Blaziken
Melmetal

And all others are usually released by me, unless someone is liked by me....

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Not really - by the time I start a hunt in a game it's during the postgame. So there is not really a point in leveling them up / no real opportunity to use them unless I transfer to another game that I haven't finished yet.

The only time I have done this was in PLA - because shinies were a lot more common and I found quite a few during the main story and had the opportunity to use them and level them up as part of the team.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
No, because most of the shinies I get end up having bad natures or the worser of it's two abilities, and if it's neither of that, I already had an established team beforehand. But if it's a shiny that was found earlier to the point I haven't decided on my team and it has a usuable nature and ability, I'll indefinitely take it in.

Years
It depends. I like to make themed teams from my shinies and so I sometimes do train them to get them to evolve into my desired Pokémon. But most of the time, no.

In Pokémon GO on the other hand, I usually try to train my shinies the most and most of my strongest Pokémon are shinies.

Years
The vast majority of shinies I've found have been random; which is to say I hadn't sought them out. They'd tend to be Pokémon I wouldn't generally use in the story, or are quite niche in competitive, like Slowpoke.

I've had one or two that just happened to be 'mon I wanted to use in competitive, and so the shiny took the slot of the previous 'mon I was using.

My most recent was during my Indigo Disk playthrough. I encountered a shiny Vibrava, which was perfect because I'd planned on using a Flygon. So my shiny Flygon 'Vectra' was with me for the whole journey.

Years
If I find a shiny it is usually of a pokemon I do not use so I box them away. However, if it is a shiny of a pokemon I love, regardless of IVs or nature, I will use it for bragging rights.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I don't find them often, so if it's an opportunity to use one, I will try my best to slot it in.

Not always of course. If I find one in victory road or something late, then it's going to be boxed.

Years
I've used only a handful. At least 90% of my shinies have never seen any use =P

I did a completely shiny team in Sword that I bred in Shield. I also did an Ice types shiny 'team' of 3 for Shield's Battle Tower. Other than that I've only used a stray shiny here and there if I happened to get one during a playthrough and still had a slot on my team open.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
If they fit with the team I may use them. I don't think that's ever occurred, though. xD

There was a time when I was really excited about finding a shiny. But nowadays it's just cool but I also don't mind if they accidentally faint. I rather focus on the party I have.

Back