• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever been to a different continent?

Cid

Years
  • Having just come back home like a few minutes ago, and meeting all sorts of people serendipitously while I was on vacation, I got to think about the things that one could experience with travelling the world.

Have you ever been to a different continent? If you live in a really big one like Asia, have you ever been to a different part of it? What was it like? Were there things you learned and cultures you experienced that you couldn't have gotten from where you came from?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    A spaniard I know really insists that the Canary Islands are legit Spain in every way, but they still geographically sit in Africa so I'm gonna go with that I've been to Africa ^^ I live in Europe. Africa was very beachy and windy and sunny. d:

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've actually never been to a different continent! I was supposed to visit Asia a few years ago (the Philippines, to be specific) but wound up having to miss the visit due to a work issue orz. Off the top of my head, I'd really like to visit Europe, Asia, and Australia. :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Back when I was a child my family took a summer vacation in Ecuador to live with my cousins for those few months so I've been to South America with that said. It's the only other continent I've been too though I've love to travel some more in the future.

Years
  • I've been to all kinds of places here in Europe but only North America so far outside of it. Japan is on our to-do list though so Asia will hopefully happen at some point in the future!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I lived one year in Argentina and have visited the US so I'll count a big chunk of America (Atlantic side mostly) in my list.

A spaniard I know really insists that the Canary Islands are legit Spain in every way, but they still geographically sit in Africa so I'm gonna go with that I've been to Africa ^^ I live in Europe. Africa was very beachy and windy and sunny. d:

Look. Look. Why are you doing this :( Africa ain't those things, the Canaries (Spain) are :(((

Years
  • I've been to Asia since I went to Hong Kong when I was a kid. Honestly, I hated it. It was a terrible place. Over-crowded, unclean, beggars all over the place because of rampant poverty, the traffic was insane and the public transport was far too small for the amount of people they crammed in. I don't know how much it has changed since then but I have no desire to go find out.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I've been to Asia, Europe and North America in that order!

As a Chinese person who was born and raised in Australia, going back to my parent's hometown in South China is extremely different in terms of the culture and lifestyle I have in Australia. Living in Australia I was lucky that I was raised in a way where I still remained very much connected to my Chinese culture - in fact, students in our primary school were made to learn Mandarin which was something that I found interesting. However in China the atmosphere itself is completely different - for instance even though most of my high school is composed of Asian students (90% +) and extremely academic-focused, the academic life in China from what I have heard and witnessed being in China is much more intensive. There are a lot higher expectations of children there and you can see it in their work ethic, and discipline which is beyond anything I have seen in other countries. Furthermore there is a lot of censorship in China - I remember when I first went back and being shocked at how much of the internet is censored and how much the Chinese government tries to restrict certain information. I had always wondered why my Dad seemed so uptight and against people saying anything against the Chinese government, but the threat of being prosecuted is an extremely real threat. It made the atmosphere quite uncomfortable at times. Other than that China is also extremely overpopulated and polluted - furthermore, whilst the cuisine is great (maybe I'm a bit biased) - you also have to be careful when it comes to areas such as street food as it can be unreliable or not properly made. It was definitely a very different experience. Also the traffic there was out of this world - we managed to cross a six lane highway because there was a huge traffic jam for kilometres where you only moved about 1km in an entire hour. It was wild. Despite all this though, it was still an enjoyable experience in other aspects (seeing Chinese history, the cuisine etc.) is amazing.

However not to generalise Asia as a whole like China - in fact, other Asian countries are very different. I've been to Japan also and it was vastly different from China - whilst it still had that same overcrowded, urbanized feel - it also felt much more comfortable and safe of an atmosphere. It also felt a lot more clean, at least if you were some distance away from the major cities. They also had bullet trains which I didn't notice in China that much. Overall though Asia is extremely different from other continents in terms of areas such as cuisine and also general lifestyle and beliefs.

As for Europe and North America, I don't know if there's any extreme differences from Australia but they did feel different in a sense! In Europe I guess I just noticed how different all the architecture was, if that's anything notable? Europe has a much longer history, and since Australia is a super young nation it definitely felt very different in Europe - there were so many historical landmarks to see that were fascinating and tourist attractions like castles etc. which you never see here. North America was different in the sense that there are some different expectations - like tipping service staff which I don't think gets done in Australia very often? The people there are a lot more friendly and willing to chat as well where it's rare to see strangers just initiate random conversation here. Also we got to meet some other high school students from America and I guess one thing I noticed is how much more emphasis they put into extracurricular activities - things like homecoming, football games etc. which we don't have here and their spirit for their school clubs are next level compared to here! But yeah those are some things I have noticed in general as differences I guess. :)

Years
  • I've been to 4 continents (5 if you count Oceania rather than Australia). My native Europe, North America, Asia, South America and Oceania in that order.

The UK is Europe no matter what anybody says and I'll argue that to the bitter end, but I have also been to the mainland as well. What I love about Europe is that our countries all have their own distinct identities but at the same time there is a common European culture to be seen too.

North America: I've only been to the US. I don't like Europe and North America being grouped together as 'the west' because I do feel that the differences are quite vast. History, architecture, politics etc. Not in a bad way, more that I definitely feel like I'm in a different part of the world as opposed to when I'm visiting another country in Europe, language difference or not.

Asia is my current home. China specifically but I've been to a fair few countries around the eastern part of Asia now and the biggest similarity between east Asian countries is of course that there are a lot of people and that their urban areas are significantly more busy than elsewhere in the world. Tradition is a big part in a lot of Asian societies too. There are just as many differences between countries as there are similarities though, if not more.

I've only been to Venezuela in South America and that was an amazing experience. I was extremely lucky to have visited just before...things started to happen. Such a beautiful country though and if it wasn't for the political situation now I'd say, landscape-wise, Venezuela is one of your best choices for a South American destination since it has it all. Plains, desserts, beaches, jungles, mountains.

As for Oceania I've been to Fiji. Most beautiful country I've visited so far. Literal island paradise. I didn't even know I enjoyed beaches before I went to Fiji, it turns out I do but I just have really high standards haha. I went because I thought well if I'm ever going to go to Oceania I might as well do it while I have Hong Kong airport as a local airport for a cheaper flight. Definitely a good decision.

The continent I've always wanted to go to the most I still have yet to visit though... But I'm changing that soon! I'm coming for you Africa!
    (Antarctica too but that is years away haha)

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I've never been outside the USA :(

But one day I hope to visit Canada, Japan, and other places.

I love learning about the world, so the fact that I've been stuck in America my whole life is really a bummer to me.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • i've visited north america a few times but that's about it. next continent i'd like to visit would be australia, i really wanna check out sydney and the gold coast.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I also would love to see Sydney. I'm so unfamiliar with Australia, but I've heard it's wonderful.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2020
    I went to America once. They barely understood me and thought I was Canadian or something. I thought Canadians and Americans sounded the same.

Years
  • Australia, Europe, Asia, Africa, and North America!

Spent a month in Australia from April - May of this year. Was born and lived in Sochi, Russia for years so naturally I'd have been to Asia. Though I've only ever been to Europe for a day or so for flight layovers, but still lol. And NYC is where I've been living until recently. Aaaand currently in South Africa!

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Ya I've been to Europe. France, Italy and England. Also the Dominican Republic.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • I live in North America and have visited Europe three times. I also visited the northern part of Africa during my most recent visit to Europe.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i been to the UK is that a continent. does that count. so like europe. look i don't even know how the US map works

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • I've never been outside the USA :(

But one day I hope to visit Canada, Japan, and other places.

I love learning about the world, so the fact that I've been stuck in America my whole life is really a bummer to me.

Pretty much my life too. I've never left the U.S. and I'd kill to travel, but I'd probably have a nervous breakdown...
    I barely made it through a trip to New Hampshire to see some old friends of mine D:
    I think the closest to traveling out of my country itself is probably Canada since I have a friend up there I'd like to visit one day, but that's in North America. If I could travel outside of it I'd go to Europe in a heartbeat! Especially to England.
    I'm also interested in going to Finland. Ooh and Russia would be nice too! :D

Back