• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microtransactions, lootboxes, and you

pkmin3033

Microtransactions and lootboxes have been around for a long time now, and have insidiously creeped their way into full priced console titles to the point that they have become normalised. Have you ever wasted spent money on microtransactions and/or lootboxes in a video game before? What was the game, and did you get what you were hoping for out of it? If you haven't before, what sort of content/pricing would persuade you to?

Years
  • I am the same I have only spent money during one of the bargain periods of Yu Gi Oh Duel Links, one of those Buy 3 and get a free UR sale. Other than that I try to stay away from spending on Microtransactions and Lootboxes.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • I think it's a waste of money and have never bought any. I did however check the prices of microtransactions in CTR: Nitro-Fueled when they were added but they were not even convenient, so that even if I wanted to spend money on it I'd have rather bought an Online subscription so that I would have earned far more coins than by just buying them.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    Back when I was playing LLSIF and Bandori, I admittedly spent a total of ~£10 across both games for gems/stars and scouting tickets. Got some rare cards sure, but ultimately I felt like I wasted money for jpegs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I spent over 400 dollars on Love Live School Idol Festival. Never again is any free to start game getting my money anymore. If I want to support a series, I'll buy merch for it instead.

The only series I want to actually throw money into atm is Obey Me for the VIP program, but tbh, I haven't spent a single dollar on a mobile game in such a long time. I plan to keep it this way.

Years
  • Whoo boy don't wanna think how much I've spent on Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp... not like $1,000 much but a few hundred at this point. Who knew cute clothes and furniture would be my downfall... :(

That said, their like $3 a month Happy Helper plan is actually not a bad deal for what you get, so I kept the sub after the free trial. The extra leaf tickets, though...

TheRose

Youtube Lets Player/Twitch Streamer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NJ
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    only micros i ever bought were some raid passes and pokeballs for pokemon go. needless to say i got what i paid for, but with those raid passes i got no shinies.

Smormad

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2021
    I have never bought anything and it would be cooler if microtransactions were not a thing.

Years
    • Seen today
    I've never purchased them nor even thought about purchasing them.

Usually it just makes me sad to be locked out of stuff on a $60 game, then I try and move on. WWE games are some of the worst offenders of this, with how limited the customization has gotten.

Years
  • 11 years of probably paying an entire Riot employee's salary at this rate, League of Legends has taken a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of my money.

However swings and roundabouts, I've taken a fair whack of money from CS:GO so...

Years
  • I did buy few packs in Hearthstone, but that was years ago and was like 5 packs in total to get golden legendary card in Beta (that was given to players who spend $$$ while in Beta). I was thinking about spending money on Bleach: Immortal Soul when it came out few months ago, if I find interesting deal in it, but nothing like that happened and I'm slowly dropping the game, so I don't think I'll spend money on it. Otherwise, aside from those few packs, I never spend money in F2P game.

When it comes to AAA games with microtransactions, I only played Shadow of War and Far Cry 5 as far as I remember. I've played Shadow of War long after they removed them, so I'm not sure if that even counts and I never even opened the shop in Far Cry 5. I usually try to avoid these games at all, since I don't think microtransactions have a place in 60$ games.

Years
  • I'm embarrassed to say how much I've spent on these games over the years. ;_; Probably at least $1k USD on the Japanese version of Love Live SIF, and maybe close to that for Bang Dream too. Then there are other gacha games that ate several hundred, like Magia Record and Dragalia Lost. I lost interest spending on gacha half a year ago fortunately, and the fact that I got bored of Bang Dream and haven't played in a year + uninstalled JP Love Live because I was tired of not understanding what they were saying was a wake up call. I still have the global Love Live app installed (spent at least a few hundred on that also) and Bang Dream too, since I feel guilty deleting all games that I spent so much on. But man I haven't played these in like a year or more and it's probably better I at least move them out to my tablet so I can access them if I have interest again, and make space on my phone which is my main device. But for now....I can't see myself playing them again.

trickster online the mmorpg which is closed now is what started the gacha addiction for me, around 12-13 years ago when they introduced their lootbox system. Back then as a teen I remember using my mom's credit card without permission to spend around $90 on lootboxes until I got the specific item I wanted. It's such a disgusting thing to have games meant for kids use gacha, since they're basically hoping kids (many of which have issues with self-contol in these situations) will spend a ton of money that isn't theirs trying to get x thing from a random pool.

edit: I've checked my Offgamers account (where I purchased all of my JP iTunes gift cards for Love Live), and my rank is platinum, which requires at least $1,000 spent. oof. Most of it was back in 2018 - glad I kicked that hecka expensive habit.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    DLC I've bought but Microtransactions I've never cared about. It's bad enough that people are allowed to charge full price for a game and then then add mechanics that are engineered in such a way that they encourage people spend more rl money just to make it playable. Especially when the goods you receive involve literal gambling. I play games in my systematic way. Throwing money at a problem for a _chance_ doesn't get any joy out of me.

Years
  • I've spent like around $5 on the free to start Pokemon Rumble game for the 3DS. I regret it. A LOT. I also spent around $5 on a couple of themes for the 3DS. Total regret!

oh man, I wish I were like you way back when I spent and would feel guilty over just $5 spent. would've probably been better for my wallet back then @_@ glad I got over the habit of spending on gacha....

Years
  • My younger self may have spent a decent amount of money on FIFA packs and COD loot boxs, fortunately, this is long gone and I spend my money on more reasonable things, like the amazing microtransactions in FFXIV lmao, but they're arguably worth it. I think that's the only game I actually spend money on now!

I spend a few bucks trying to get a certain card in YGO Duel Links
    Father I too am guilty of this sin

Back