• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Prom Night

ThatStuff!!

Back in the sixth grade, I got them bad grades I w
Years
  • One more thread before I disappear for 3 more months

Did you go to your high school prom and if so how was it? If you didn't go to prom you can use your homecoming night.

I went to mine (2019) but I had no date and was sad and didn't dance, was a loser basically.

Years
  • Yes, I have went to my high school prom two times on my sophomore and junior year. On my sophomore year the principal paired me up with a senior boy and on my junior year I went to the prom with a class mate. At the prom I was mostly sitting with my date and we were interacting with the students we were sitting next to.

Years
  • We don't really have "prom" here but we have similar things in the later high school years depending on the school. For my school it was a dinner dance in year 10, river cruise in 11 and ball in 12. I didn't go to the river cruise and had left for uni later that year so I never had the chance to go to the year 12 thing. I did the dinner dance in year 10 though which was pretty fun. The lead up when everyone had to learn to dance was amusing since I'd been dancing competitively for years at that point. I'd never felt so appreciated by the female students in my year group before lmao

Years
    • Online now
    Nope. Our senior prom was three weeks after a school shooting. They still held prom, but the atmosphere after what happened was tense. I didn't attend.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • the face i just made upon seeing this thread... yes i went to both my junior and senior prom. we did not stay long. my partner at the time was an asshole and wouldn't dance with me and it bummed me out so i didn't rly enjoy either year. idk what prom is like now but for my time prom was like. you went out to eat somewhere Nice and you showed up to the prom itself to take pics and see friends and then you dipped and went bowling or to a party at someone's house. i did neither of the latter things but lmfao ya know. that's what most people did.

also fun fact is that my class fucked up so bad that we ruined prom for every class after us up until i want to say 2015? a lot of people showed up to prom drunk on a party bus and so they changed the date of prom to be the night before graduation practice which was mandatory to walk. honestly though like that's probably a better time to have prom anyway. it's warmer and then if you're the only school having prom, you don't run into other school's prom traffic or being unable to attend multiple proms. not that i ever had that problem lmfao i wasn't getting invited to proms at schools i didn't attend. like idk if i could redo prom i would. rules: don't go w an asshole, enjoy time w friends more, let loose and dance even if it's by myself. have a good time little syd

Years
  • Up top fellow prom night loser! I attended prom twice in a row in high school: as a junior and as a senior. Both times I failed to make a move on my crush because of my then crippling anxiety/awkwardness. Oh well. The rented suit was nice to wear though, at least made us feel like high class citizens for a bit lmao.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I didn't go to prom last year because covid happened. I probably would've gone if it didn't get cancelled. Who knows if they're doing prom this year though... homecoming got cancelled this year, so I don't have hopes for prom happening.

Years
  • I remember writing about this about a year or two ago, so I went and found my post. Here it is. It was part of The story of your significant other thread, so I'll just repost the part with prom here:

Now during the 4th year, time for prom came. Prom here is little bit of different that in the US, so I'll borrow this part from wikipedia:
    Spoiler:
    I'm one of the last people that are asked where they want to put their family and I saw empty seats by the same table as she put her family. And now the fated0 how we DIDN'T get together story begins...
    Before the prom, we planned some thing together and were paired for most of the events there. And so we danced, drank and had great time together. Fastforward to 3 AM when the prom was ending and we are standing in front of the building, waiting for her dad to pick her up. I'm about to kiss her, when the doors to the building swung open. My drunk best friend is standing there, happily shouting to me that he was looking for me everywhere. Before I could react, my gf's dad's car arrived and she disappeared. And that the story how we DIDN'T get together.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • Honestly, I've never had a prom at any high school I've been to. I transferred out of public school before my junior year but even back then I don't remember hearing anyone ever utter a single word about having a prom or homecoming or anything. I've always kind of been curious about what they're like or people's experiences so I'm kind of just writing this to follow the thread.

The closest thing I ever had was a graduation dance at the end of elementary school, though I never had middle schools in my area until recently so this was in grade 7. We didn't have to take dates or anything so all I remember is just sitting around in the gym, trying to talk with my friends who got tired and needed a rest, and that one of my girl friends danced with me because no one else did. I was basically the support unit. ;;

I did go to my high school grad though, which only had five students, and I felt so awkward that I wanted to get out as fast as I could, and later emailed a teacher saying I enjoyed being in his classes because I didn't feel comfortable sticking it out long enough to tell him. I kind of regret it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I didn't bother going to mine. Never really liked going to events like that.

It wasn't uncommon for people to after prom, at least when I was in school, go down to the shore and get shitfaced and snort lines of cocaine and all that.

Years
  • Prom was one of the best nights of my life, honestly. I think I am in the minority where I really enjoyed high school lol. It was a blast.

Years
  • My prom was a nightmare and not what I expected to turn out to be. It's sad I was the first one in my entire family to go to their prom so it was a huge honor for me and my family. I even wore a dress again after 8 years of not wearing one too. However my ex friend who I took just as friends hurt me in so many ways ruining my night badly since he was 2 grades younger than me. That's all I say since I don't want to end up triggering myself. To those who's proms we're great I am happy for you.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I didn't go to prom last year because covid happened. I probably would've gone if it didn't get cancelled. Who knows if they're doing prom this year though... homecoming got cancelled this year, so I don't have hopes for prom happening.
    Yeah so update on this, apparently our school is having prom, but an extremely crippled one... it's only a dinner and no dance, and only seniors from the school can go. So no juniors or students from other schools. And they're still charging as much as they would've charged if they held it at the Disney Contemporary, so that's like $60+ to have an average dinner in the gym/outside on the football field. I'll be surprised if anyone buys tickets... I'm certainly not buying one. It seems much more worthwhile to go to a nice restaurant for $30-40 with your senior, junior, and other-school friends (which is what my friends are looking into).

Years
  • I never went to prom! Dances aren't really my thing, and I don't particularly find that kind of atmosphere very fun. I did go to homecoming one year, but it wasn't great. I didn't have a date and mostly just stayed with a few friends off to the side, being a wallflower. I'm not upset about it, though! Just not my thing, but I definitely see how proms would be fun for a lot of people.

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
    Years
  • Ha, both of mine sucked. My junior year I didn't really plan on going, but a friend of mine really wanted me to go so she set me up with one of her friends. Well, her friend ended up having to cancel so then that girl's friend went with me. We rode together with another guy from our school, who I could not stand as he was a complete jerk and we almost got into multiple fist fights over the years, and his date who was the sister of the girl that I was suppose to go with. During the very awkward dinner I had to listen to my date go down a list of things that she absolutely can't stand in people. I didn't ask, I didn't even get a chance to talk before this happened as the other guy would never shut up the whole night. That was the first time I've listened to someone go into great detail about how they hate me before even getting to know me, lol. And considering the type of person she was, she definitely had no business being judgmental of others. The dance itself was also a bit awkward, but we agreed to do our own things separately so at least I didn't have to hang around her much.

I'd say my senior prom was worse. I had asked my crush to the dance, and she actually said yes so I was pretty excited, albeit really nervous because I'm not good at the whole feelings and romance thing. Emotions are stupid and I favor logic over feelings, but I digress. She was shy and I was a LOT more shy than I am today so we hadn't really talked much all year, and didn't really talk much leading up to the dance either. But on the day of I did my best to strike up conversation. She wasn't having any of it, claiming that she was tired from staying up all night with her friend beforehand. So my efforts to be more confident/outgoing were already failing right off the bat. To make things worse, my friends and I had rented a limo together (their idea, I would've been fine just driving our cars) and my date and I were seated together in the back, split from the rest of the group so I couldn't even talk to anybody else because we were too far to hear each other over the music. So between being yelled at by the driver for pushing all of the buttons that were positioned overhead and my date being too tired to talk, I was basically left by myself for the hour or so drive to the Applebee's my friends decided to go to. Not that Applebee's is a bad place to eat, but to me it just doesn't say "prom night dinner", though they did have nice steak. Throughout that dinner I struggled to get conversation started with my date, but we did get a little bit of small talk going. Fast forward through a couple more hours of awkward silence, we finally got to our school and as soon as we got close to the gym, her friend shows up and then they both just run off. My date, who was a sophomore so it wasn't even her dance, just ditched me as soon as we got to it. So I awkwardly hung around my friends doing the classic "white boy can't dance" while occasionally looking for her to no avail. First slow dance comes up and I spent the entire song by the punchbowl (someone had to do the classic movie trope). After that song ended she finally "found" me and apologized for disappearing before running off with her friend again. She did dance with me for the next song before running off once again. But then her and her friend came up to me a few songs later and this girl actually had the nerve to ask if it was ok if she danced with another guy. I figured it was a stupid test so I said yes out of spite because that should be the wrong answer, planning to leave if she did actually do it. She didn't follow through, much to my surprise though that did pretty much confirm it was a test (I think). I then spent the next half hour or so sitting at a table by myself, analyzing the whole situation and trying to make sense of it all. Seeing as how she was my crush, I had planned on officially asking her out that night but was really second guessing it. I had noticed that she was also sitting at a table with some people that entire time and they were all talking and kept looking back at me. She came back to me and we danced together for the last song, we ended up being the last two on the dancefloor while everyone was leaving and I idiotically started to think that maybe things were gonna turn for the better. So like the genius I am, I ended up asking her out despite all logic pointing to that being a bad idea. As expected, I was rejected, though I was provided with the excuse "I'd love to, but my dad won't let me date guys your age" (She started dating another guy my age a week later). So I did the whole "I understand" thing and went on my way since she had a ride setup with her friend.

After I had graduated high school I was talking with my best friend at the time and he revealed that people actually made fun of her for agreeing to go with me. I guess a lot of people had this idea in their head that I was incapable of talking to girls, like Raj from the Big Bang Theory, despite the fact that most of my friends at the time were girls. On a positive, she and I have crossed paths a few times since then and every single time she gets a panicked look on her face and hides behind whoever she is with. I don't know if she feels bad about how she acted that night, or if people told her more lies about me that made her fear me, but I find it pretty hilarious whenever we see each other and she runs. I just act like I don't even see her and keep moving on.

That was longer than I expected, but I have a fairly decent memory so despite being nearly 8 years ago I pretty much remember it like it just happened. This is just one of many reasons I don't like people and typically keep to myself. Just about every dance I went to resulted it some convoluted mess the resulted in me being pissed off/hurt. But at least I can laugh about these events now. Also, for anybody that took the time to read this, sorry it's so damn long.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • I went once in middle school... and it was kinda ass.

Was quite introverted, kinda got convinced to go cause why the hell not was a once in a lifetime thing... but didn't had a date, didn't really have any social skills at the time so... I kinda ended up just being there...

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I went to prom with my friends, but since they all had dates and I didn't, I felt left out. I spent most of my prom at the dessert table...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Lord no. Y'all couldn't have PAID me to go.

Though I do remember hearing stories of a kid being carried out bridal style of the men's bathroom by the vice principal after ODing on MDMA.

The after party though? Went to that for sure. I don't remember a damn thing lol.

Back