• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Take it away."

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Trade evos
    Breeding
    IVs
    Version exclusives
    Gender-based mechanics (Attract, Rivalry, Captivate, etc.)
    Shinies
    Gym "puzzles"
    The Rival
    Convergent species
    Item usage during battle
    Affection bonusses

Note that I'm not necessarily against all those things, some are features I merely wouldn't miss at all if they were gone, because I just never cared about them. If I have to choose One: I guess the one that I find the most annoying are IVs (EVs could use some rework -a.k.a. take the hint from Legends Arceus-, but I wouldn't want those to be entirely removed)

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I agree with most of the stuff here so far, like trade evolutions and shiny locks, but I'd also like to see single-use TMs go away for good like they were in Gen 5/6/7 and SwSh. They're my single most hated mechanic in the entire series, even beyond that of HMs, which are hopefully gone forever.

I'd also like to see egg moves and IVs go away. They incentivize ditching Pokemon you've trained with all game in favor of new ones of the same species that have better moves and stats. I don't want to see breeding go away entirely, since it helps get new copies of hard-to-catch Pokemon, but at the very least, Pokemon that you catch in the wild should be competitively equal to hatched Pokemon.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Trade evos
    Breeding
    IVs
    Version exclusives
    Gender-based mechanics (Attract, Rivalry, Captivate, etc.)
    Shinies
    Gym "puzzles"
    The Rival
    Convergent species
    Item usage during battle
    Affection bonusses

Note that I'm not necessarily against all those things, some are features I merely wouldn't miss at all if they were gone, because I just never cared about them. If I have to choose One: I guess the one that I find the most annoying are IVs (EVs could use some rework -a.k.a. take the hint from Legends Arceus-, but I wouldn't want those to be entirely removed)
    Woah, let's not get crazy here! I respect your opinion, but I'm shocked to see rival battles here. I also don't agree with "Item Usage during battles" because I feel you always have the option to make it more difficult on yourself by refusing to use an item in battle. I suppose this is the equivalent of someone saying "Just turn off EXP Share in Gen 6," but you know... there's nothing stopping you from playing the game this way. but there is something stopping you from trading for Alakazam or Gengar. I actually agree with Convergent Evolution, but it could get a lot better in the following games. I hated Alolan forms (except Alolan Marowak of course), but I liked them better in SwSh because it was just a new way for the team to make new Pokemon (albeit with subjectively "hit or miss" results). Tangentially, I'm still not over the fact we finally got an Electric/Psychic type (since I used to assume Porygon was electric/psychic), and it's a cutesy version of Raichu as if the original Raichu wasn't perfect already! (Just mah opponion!)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Woah, let's not get crazy here! I respect your opinion, but I'm shocked to see rival battles here. I also don't agree with "Item Usage during battles" because I feel you always have the option to make it more difficult on yourself by refusing to use an item in battle.

That's why I said not all of those were things I was against. The thread isn't asking about what features you hate, just what features you wouldn't mind if they were being taken away. Precisely because I don't use items during battle is that I wouldn't mind if that option was gone. Same for shiny Pokémon, because I don't care about them, or the self-proclaimed rival cliché, because the majority of them are poorly implemented characters that add nothing of value anyway.

Years
  • The new 'Picnic' style of breeding. I don't like tweedling my thumbs and sitting around doing nothing as I wait for eggs to show up. Gimme something to do!
    Even worse; you pretty much need an egg power active from a sandwich or they won't even show up at all! I tried it without a sandwich and gave up after a full hour went by and not a single dang egg appeared. I was just curious to see if it was possible without. Maybe one would've shown up if I waited even longer or maybe I was just extremely unlucky. But a full 60 minutes with no eggs to show for it is abysmal.

'Competitive Pokemon'. Never should've been a thing in the first place imo. I do not like the increasing focus on battles against other trainers.

New gimmick every game... it's just gotten annoying tbh. Pick something that works in every game or just don't do a gimmick at all.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    The new 'Picnic' style of breeding. I don't like tweedling my thumbs and sitting around doing nothing as I wait for eggs to show up. Gimme something to do!
    Even worse; you pretty much need an egg power active from a sandwich or they won't even show up at all! I tried it without a sandwich and gave up after a full hour went by and not a single dang egg appeared. I was just curious to see if it was possible without. Maybe one would've shown up if I waited even longer or maybe I was just extremely unlucky. But a full 60 minutes with no eggs to show for it is abysmal.
    Based on this Serebii page:

Different species, same trainer, no egg power: ~2% per minute.

Doing some math: (.98^60) = 29.76% chance of no eggs in one hour at the lowest possible rate. A little unlucky, but about the chance of a Focus Blast miss.

To do the others:

Same species + trainer OR different species + different trainer, no egg power: ~4% per minute.
    (.96^60) = 8.64% chance of no eggs in one hour

Same species, different trainer, no egg power: 5.31% per minute.
    (1 - .0531)^60 = 3.79% chance of no eggs in one hour.

And, to show off the power of even a basic level 1 egg power: different species, same trainer, level 1 egg power: 14.16% per minute.
    ((1 - .1416)^60) = 0.01% chance of no eggs in one hour.

Really speeds up with just a small sandwich buff.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • Online (and even local) multiplayer being tied to stuff like the Festival Plaza and Y-Comm. I still believe the PSS was one of the easiest and least intrusive ways to incorporate multiplayer into Pokemon and is probably my favourite part of Gen 6 (besides Mega Mawile) and I'm more upset about them getting rid of that and trying to replace it with all these more complicated or awkward systems. I'm a little embarrassed by the amount of times I've had to ask other people for help understanding the new multiplayer system or menu I have to use just to trade with a friend or join their raid or something. They don't have to constantly keep adding a new confusing system for a core part of the series like trading with every new game. I'll take the Union room over any of this.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Delete gyms for the rest of the franchise please. I'd be more than welcome to keep gyms if they did interesting spins on the formula like gyms based on a certain strategy like weather or certain battle mechanics, but if it's still the basic type based gyms then I hope to never see those again. I'll always stand by the fact that trails replacing gyms was the best descision ever made.

And remove trade evos. Already went through a massive in depth explanation on that over my recent thread.

Back